2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
That would be a disgrace to resptrospectively apply it

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
Iā€™ve been in the motor industry 37 years and no government have yet back-dated a VED increase, even Gordon Brown wasnā€™t that punitive when he introduced his Ā£400 super tax band on 23rd March 2006.

Land Rover are currently running an advertising campaign to ā€˜Beat the Tax Increaseā€™ but I canā€™t help thinking itā€™ll be counter productive as itā€™s highlighting to buyers that theyā€™re about to purchase a highly polluting vehicle.

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 5.0GT Fastback
Iā€™ve been in the motor industry 37 years and no government have yet back-dated a VED increase, even Gordon Brown wasnā€™t that punitive when he introduced his Ā£400 super tax band on 23rd March 2006.

Land Rover are currently running an advertising campaign to ā€˜Beat the Tax Increaseā€™ but I canā€™t help thinking itā€™ll be counter productive as itā€™s highlighting to buyers that theyā€™re about to purchase a highly polluting vehicle.
I hope youā€™re right John, but I canā€™t help thinking that we are in an unprecedented time and place. What better way than show the Eco Warriors that the Govā€™t has a green agenda. Also it will help raise some of the money they committed to in yesterdayā€™s budget...

I guess they will also claim that it only affects a small number of (high C02/gas guzzling) wealthy types so Iā€™m not sure anyone will be that concerned for us!

Hope it doesnā€™t happen...

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Will certainly render the stang value less if they do that no one will be able to selll the car or px it

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
15-16's would be excluded as i read it as we're on the old non-flat rate tax anyway

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0 V8
It could play havoc with the values as potentially it would mean a 15-16 Mustang could potentially hold value better than a 17+ model. Not good that a Mustang example is used in the article either.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
this is a Government "call for evidence discussion" paper - a discussion document - for just that

... discussion!

This is NOT a Government policy or anything vaguely like one - it is simply a document stating that they want to discuss what to do ...

there are at least a few of these such documents on loads of subjects, in the Government every week - For discussion

I think it is right that they discuss what to do - and call for evidence before any decisions are made

Bob

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 5.0GT Fastback
this is a Government "call for evidence discussion" paper - a discussion document - for just that

... discussion!

This is NOT a Government policy or anything vaguely like one - it is simply a document stating that they want to discuss what to do ...

there are at least a few of these such documents on loads of subjects, in the Government every week - For discussion

I think it is right that they discuss what to do - and call for evidence before any decisions are made

Bob
Hope youā€™re correct Bob - it could have a massive impact if it leads to policy...

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
When one looks at how cheap it is to fly and how expensive it already is to drive.
I'd suggest the Gov go have sex with itself and look elsewhere for more revenue.

Furthermore, if the Gov were to raise VED to such ridiculous levels they could unsettle the now massive car finance market, as a result of big falls in asset values, etc.

VED band classification should include the EU rating for a cars' emissions.

It's unacceptable a car which is EU6 compliant, gets hammered more than some 16 year old smoking shit-box, like the ones I see on our roads every day!

Sponsored

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I saw this yesterday and it is quite troubling even if it is just for "discussion". I think the most worrying aspect of it is the retrospective nature of it. It's like them dropping the speed limit on the motorway to 40mph and then massively fining anyone who has ever driven at speeds in excess of that in the past, even though they were not breaking the law when they did it.
If such extreme "incentives" do come to pass it really will render our cars worthless....

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
As incentives to buy greener go I'd say its fairly effective. I'm paying Ā£570ish but there's no way I'd be changing whilst the govt is investigating new ways to screw us.

Ā£2000/year tax and the car is effectively scrap.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ā£2000/year tax and the car is effectively scrap.
This ^. I'd be outraged if mine shot up to around the Ā£500 mark, but that's doable. Ā£2k, or Ā£4k as suggested above would be bye bye Mustang for me.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
This ^. I'd be outraged if mine shot up to around the Ā£500 mark, but that's doable. Ā£2k, or Ā£4k as suggested above would be bye bye Mustang for me.
But who'd be buying. Private buyers probably wouldn't be interested and dealers would use it to screw the price down to an absolute steal.

IF anything comes of this - and it doesn't appear imminent - I'd suspect it would be either applied to new sales, or if backdated then cars registered 2017 on. I would expect the govt to take the opportunity to hike the bands however... Ā£600/Ā£700 top whack perhaps.

We can only hope that common sense prevails or that they take heed of the inevitable backlash.