Sponsored

Sync updates and navigation snafus

.Jim.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard GT EU Spec (PP, Premium, Custom)
Has anyone tried the new software? The file I downloaded is named "EA5T-14D544-AD.zip", but I didn´t get any warnings or alerts when downloading it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Has anyone tried the new software? The file I downloaded is named "EA5T-14D544-AD.zip", but I didn´t get any warnings or alerts when downloading it.
I'm running that software... and I believe that is the US version... i.e. with NAV snafus and non-localized languages. The one Ericc has should include Swedish... would be helpful in voice naviagtion atleast I'd think.

If the system is "performing ok" I would hold off on updates for now... If I didn't already update to 3.8 I would've copied Ericcs files and installed those instead - I'm not quite sure I want to do what CaptainSlow did and trick the system into reinstalling the EU software over my US version now.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Any news on this subject? Being able to update a pre 3.8 US software installation with the 3.8 EU version might also be interesting for people who are importing a used 2015 US car. I know of at least one person here in NL who has one on the way.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I will try and write a guide as to what I did (tonight) , I was on vacation the last week.

Bear in mind im not 100% sure what did the trick for me, so it will be pretty vague guide and definitely at your own risk!

Voodoo077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EB 2016, BMW F11 M kit 2013, Seat Ateca 2017, Volvo T8 2019
What does this update give extra? Newer European maps, anything else?
Probably more to do with version of sync but no possibility to use Waze instead of this?

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
The only functional change in Sync2 firmware v3.8 is the addition of Siri Handsfree. For Waze integration and other stuff like that you will need Sync3 and that means replacing all your hardware as well.

Updates in navigation data are not part of any Sync2 firmware update. The latest European maps are on the 'F5' SD disk. Apparently the most recently built cars have this disk from the factory, earlier cars still came with F4.

Btw the nav data (F4 or F5) are independent from the Sync2 version. So you can run an F5 data disk even if your Sync2 firmware is still at v3.7.

Voodoo077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
The only functional change in Sync2 firmware v3.8 is the addition of Siri Handsfree. For Waze integration and other stuff like that you will need Sync3 and that means replacing all your hardware as well.

Updates in navigation data are not part of any Sync2 firmware update. The latest European maps are on the 'F5' SD disk. Apparently the most recently built cars have this disk from the factory, earlier cars still came with F4.

Btw the nav data (F4 or F5) are independent from the Sync2 version. So you can run an F5 data disk even if your Sync2 firmware is still at v3.7.
As my Stang is now underway to Belgium it should already the F5 SD disk with latest map and an upgrade only would give me benefit if I use Siri, so an iPhone. As this is no longer the case, no reason to do anything.
Very clear, thx Ericc B.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
How to install EU 3.08 firmware on to a car with USA 3.08 firmware

This method is only for overwriting the same firmware version with a different location value (ie. Putting EU files on to a car with the same Fw version USA files).

It goes without saying this advice is 100% unofficial, unsupported and is not guaranteed to work. You run the potential of bricking your Sync unit, at which point I don’t know what the answer would be and it would certainly be outside of warranty.

I used this method on my 2015 Ford Focus, running Sync2 3.08.15128 (USA) and changed it to 3.08.15128 EU.

For a copy of the files needed, send a private message either to me, or to EriccB. I will send you a link to my GoogleDrive where the files are stored. Please download them and extract them to a FAT32 format USB drive. After downloading the file from me, feel free to share them further, but do NOT simply pass along the link I gave you… please host them yourself.

When you have extracted the files to the USB, you need to open the autoinstall.lst file (with wordpad) and make some modifications.

1). See photo 1. Add 15128 to the list of supported firmwares at the top of the document.

2). See photo 2. Scroll down almost to the bottom of the document, and add the following text: [SYNCGen2_3.08.15128]

This will allow the system to be overwritten with the same firmware version.

Go to your car, start the engine, insert the USB stick and follow the instructions…. When I did this, I reached a point where it installed ‘FILE 4’, where the install would fail with an error message. It is quite possible that you will either get:

• the same error at the same point
  • the same error at a different point
  • no error, lucky you!

If you do get an install error, make a note of which ‘FILE’ it fails at, take the USB drive back to your PC and open up the already modified install.lst document.

You will see in the list that references are made to ‘ITEM 1, OPEN 1’….. ‘ITEM 2, OPEN 2’….. etc.

In the relevant section (i.e the ZODIAC section, underneath where you earlier added the [SYNCGen2……] reference, delete completely the reference to the item that is causing the install to fail…. i.e. for me it was the reference to item 4.

(NB: The install fails at this point because inside the folder that is being referenced is another install.lst file with a similar layout to the one we have already modified… however in this location the file has compressed with winzip, and it is not possible to extract, modify and re-zip the files in the same way…. At least if it is, I couldn’t do it. I did manage to successfully modify and re-zip the required file, but it wasn’t recognised by the sync system – probably because I removed a hidden hash, or security element when unzipping the file…..)

Its important to realise what you are now about to do – because you are removing a set of files from the install, it will create a ‘broken’ image. For me, item 4 related to files that referenced the digitiser (touchscreen) and localised EU navigation files/voices….. Once you remove the reference to whatever file is causing the issue, the rest of the install will complete ‘successfully’…..

When the install completes (after about 20 mins) the car will think it has successfully upgraded the system, but you will find that your SYNC system is probably quite broken.

At this point remove the fuse to the SYNC system (no idea what it is for the Mustang, I was working on a Focus) and leave the system powered down for about 10mins for it to completely reset.

Go back to your PC and re-instate the reference in the install.lst file that you previously removed (i.e. for me ITEM 4 OPEN 4…) so that you once again have a full and complete install file. Re-save this back to your USB.
Put the USB in the car drive, then re-insert the fuse, then start the engine.

At this point ON MY CAR the install went ahead OK, and successfully installed file 4. Not being a computer expert (or really having much idea of what is actually going on) I can only presume this is because the rest of the Fw image is now localised to the EU settings, and therefore the EU navi files and voices could install… sorry I cant get any more technical than that!

If at this point the files don’t install you COULD be stuck with a broken SYNC system. I would try inserting the USB once again with the reference 4 removed, and then back to the USB with it in (etc etc) and try resetting SYNC again. It would save you time and effort to have 2x USB sticks with one containing the full .lst file and one the modified .lst file, so that you could quickly swap them over if needed…. At the end of the day, we are basically trying to trick the system!

So, that’s what worked for me… Ive written all the info I know right here – if you try this and it goes wrong, please do NOT expect any answers from me. My best advice would be then to visit your Ford dealer with a sad face and big brown eyes (take your wife!), or after some Googling I found a company in Germany that was offering to install localised EU files into USA import F150 Raptors…. They have obviously figured out a way to do it faultlessly, but they were asking about €5-700 to do it (from memory)!

Good luck people!
change fw1.jpg
change fw2.jpg

OP
OP

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Feel free to send me a link to the EU firmware either of you two :) if Ford doesn't wake up soon I'll just end up doing this...

Sponsored

cedfx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 fastback ecoboost guard color custom pack
As my Stang is now underway to Belgium it should already the F5 SD disk with latest map and an upgrade only would give me benefit if I use Siri, so an iPhone. As this is no longer the case, no reason to do anything.
Very clear, thx Ericc B.

Hello Voodoo077

Did you get your F5 sd card with your car ?
My car should arrive next week in Belgium so I wonder...

Thanks

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
Got the V3.8 sync upgrade and purchased F5 for 50,- eur on ebay (Romanian seller). Ford dealer asks min € 95,-. Shipped in plastic casing, no retail packaging.

All works fine ! Takes 30minutes to upgrade with runing engine. When i checked car engine was off ! got scared but apparently the upgrade turns off the car at the end of the process (if in idle of course)

Situation now :
Nav version 4.66.5
navigation : 16777215

Voodoo077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
Hello Voodoo077

Did you get your F5 sd card with your car ?
My car should arrive next week in Belgium so I wonder...

Thanks
Dealer showed me SD Card and told me it was the F5.
Maps look up-to-date but I never actually looked what is on it. As the Mustang is not my daily ride it is not here but I will have a look at the SD tonight and give feedback.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
[MENTION=6742]gojensen[/MENTION]

Did they finally solve your Sync language and navigation issue?

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Got the V3.8 sync upgrade and purchased F5 for 50,- eur on ebay (Romanian seller). Ford dealer asks min € 95,-. Shipped in plastic casing, no retail packaging.

All works fine ! Takes 30minutes to upgrade with runing engine. When i checked car engine was off ! got scared but apparently the upgrade turns off the car at the end of the process (if in idle of course)

Situation now :
Nav version 4.66.5
navigation : 16777215
Can't remember exactly but in sync update page there was a warning to disable some settings because after 20 minutes in idle, car will shut off engine. Hopefully after that the system keeps running so your update was completed.

Dealer showed me SD Card and told me it was the F5.
Maps look up-to-date but I never actually looked what is on it. As the Mustang is not my daily ride it is not here but I will have a look at the SD tonight and give feedback.
I posted some info time ago but can't remember in which topic :)
F4 and F5 maps are exactly the same (I compared the data on the SD card), the only differencea are in other data, most probably info on POIs.
Sponsored