Sponsored

Sync Receiving Old Text Messages

freudianfloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
So this isn't specifically a Mustang issue, or even a Sync 3 issue, but my car keeps notifying me of text messages, and when it reads them to me, they are messages from years ago. Everytime I get a new message from my wife, I get the same 2 old messages from her as well.

I know this sounds odd, and it isn't just my Mustang, my 2015 F-150 and my 2016 Transit both do it.

Has anybody else had this happen? If so, has anybody figured out a fix? My phone is a Samsung Note 10 + but my wife has the same issue with her Iphone.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So this isn't specifically a Mustang issue, or even a Sync 3 issue, but my car keeps notifying me of text messages, and when it reads them to me, they are messages from years ago. Everytime I get a new message from my wife, I get the same 2 old messages from her as well.

I know this sounds odd, and it isn't just my Mustang, my 2015 F-150 and my 2016 Transit both do it.

Has anybody else had this happen? If so, has anybody figured out a fix? My phone is a Samsung Note 10 + but my wife has the same issue with her Iphone.
Are you both on the same carrier? It sounds like a network issue. Call them.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You might want to try a reset of the phone to ensure those old messages are removed from the phone.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
You might want to try a reset of the phone to ensure those old messages are removed from the phone.
Always a good idea, but since it is happening on two different phones, I still believe the issue is carrier related. Even if you delete a text on your phone it still resides on your carriers servers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
freudianfloyd

freudianfloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the replies. I honestly think it is phone related. If I find the old message and delete it from my phone, it stops popping up on my radio.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I honestly think it is phone related. If I find the old message and delete it from my phone, it stops popping up on my radio.
But you said your phone keeps getting old messages. Of course, if you delete the message from the phone you no longer see it on Sync. But if it comes back that’s not your phone.

OP
OP
freudianfloyd

freudianfloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
But you said your phone keeps getting old messages. Of course, if you delete the message from the phone you no longer see it on Sync. But if it comes back that’s not your phone.
No, sorry for any misunderstandings. My phone doesn't alert me of these messages, for some reason Sync is pulling the same old text messages and alerting me as if they are new. If I go back and delete the old messages, I no longer get the alert on my Sync. However, it finds different old messages to alert me of as if they are new.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
No, sorry for any misunderstandings. My phone doesn't alert me of these messages, for some reason Sync is pulling the same old text messages and alerting me as if they are new. If I go back and delete the old messages, I no longer get the alert on my Sync. However, it finds different old messages to alert me of as if they are new.
OK, got it. So all these old messages are still on your phones? If yes, just clean up you phones. Problem solved. Maybe! :giggle:

OP
OP
freudianfloyd

freudianfloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
OK, got it. So all these old messages are still on your phones? If yes, just clean up you phones. Problem solved. Maybe! :giggle:
Well thats an obvious bandaid, but eventually all messages will be old. It's not a huge deal, just find it more annoying than anything.

edit....sorry that sounded rude. I appreciate the help. It's not a big deal, just figured I would see if anybody else has this same problem.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Well thats an obvious bandaid, but eventually all messages will be old. It's not a huge deal, just find it more annoying than anything.

edit....sorry that sounded rude. I appreciate the help. It's not a big deal, just figured I would see if anybody else has this same problem.
No, it wasn't rude. You have an odd issue that while not life ending is nonetheless annoying to you. So then, process of elimination.

Start with your Mustang. You may have already done some of these things.

Turn off messaging in Sync.
Disconnect your phones from Sync.
Do a Master Reset in Sync.

Remove Sync from your phones BT settings.
Turn off messaging notifications on your phone.
Restart your phone.
Turn on messaging notifications on your phone.

Turn on messaging on Sync.
Pair your phone to sync.
Send a test message to your phone to make your Sync is properly connected.

Honestly if these steps do not work I'd still contact your carrier as the issue may reside within the phones messaging app.

One last thing. Silly question. I presume all the "old" have been previously opened, right?

Good luck!
Sponsored