Sponsored

Sync 3 and Android phones (Android 10)

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
RIght here goes, i have been an iPhone owner for approx 4.5ish years, basically due to previous cars having Carplay only. and generally being more compatible with iPhones (bmw idrive likes iPhones). Anyway I have finally managed to get back into an Android 10 phone as never been an iphone fan really.

A couple of issues:

1) If using Android Auto Sync 3 seems very fussy on the USB-C cable, i have 3 and only 1 works in the car but all work for data when connecting to a laptopn etc, Is this normal?

2) If i connect via BT only (disable Android auto) can you browse albums, folders etc on your phone? I am having issues with this, i click source select my BT phone connection and nothing appears.

3) When using Android Auto does can anyone recommend a music player that appears in AA? My native one doesnt, plex amp does (but that stores albums in a strange way on my phone meaning no other music app can see them)

Any general AA or Android with Sync 3.4 tips, tricks and recommended apps would be appreciated as sitting in the car in this cold weather faffing about with it is no fun!!!

As much as i hate to say it at this stage Carplay has been far less hassle, just plugged it in and it works whereas on the android phone ive had to change a fair few settings to get it to work plus wasted about an hour with cables not working!!!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sorry to give you bad news, but unlike CarPlay, Android Auto is a buggy piece of shit. Given enough time it will, I'm sure, turn into something usable eventually, but right now it isn't.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sorry to give you bad news, but unlike CarPlay, Android Auto is a buggy piece of shit. Given enough time it will, I'm sure, turn into something usable eventually, but right now it isn't.
Carplay is decent I agree. And although I think iPhones are very good I just prefer android phones as I use more Google services. As long as navigation works well on AA which it seems to I can play music via sync 3 and usb. Always found stability and loudness is always marginally better via usb.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Nothing wrong with Android phones. I've used them for years. But Android Auto still has a long way to go.
CarPlay works fine and looks nice, but I don't use it simply because I can't be bothered to take the phone out of my pocket and plug it in each and every time I get in the car. Besides, I like the Sync 3 native interface more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Nothing wrong with Android phones. I've used them for years. But Android Auto still has a long way to go.
CarPlay works fine and looks nice, but I don't use it simply because I can't be bothered to take the phone out of my pocket and plug it in each and every time I get in the car. Besides, I like the Sync 3 native interface more.
The plugging in thing bugs me too. I was using the cplay2air dongle but it takes a while.to connect and sometimes fails, it also hammers the battery of my iPhone, it was decent but it gets annoying sometimes when youre in a rush of it doesn't connect and you need to unplug it.

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe