Sponsored

Swapping out Chrome emblems for black...or plasti dip?

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Picking up a 2021 mustang GT premium on Saturday...Black car with PP option so it has black rims. I'd like to black out the emblems as it didn't come with the black accent package. I'm sure it's been done quite a bit...what do you guys recommend?
Sponsored

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Over rated. I have a metallic grey 20 GT and I cut out some vinyl overlays in green and ran that for a month or so. Now I ended up putting some white overlays so the chrome is still visible on the sides and IMO it looks pretty clean. Gonna get some white rims in the future to go along with it. Everyone does "blacked out" be different and do a different color scheme. If I had a black GT I would make all the emblems and rims gold/bronze

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Picking up a 2021 mustang GT premium on Saturday...Black car with PP option so it has black rims. I'd like to black out the emblems as it didn't come with the black accent package. I'm sure it's been done quite a bit...what do you guys recommend?
I have a white car, and picked up the black 5.0 emblems to paint white because it was a rougher texture than chrome. White paint stuck well. If I was you, I’d just order the new black emblems off Amazon. Painting chrome sucks, not worth it IMO.
I painted the front pony chrome because removing it is a pain kind of, and ordered an aftermarket grill with no emblem - just have to install it. The painted pony has chip marks all over it. Didn’t last long.
The rear deck lid, I just ordered a blank gloss black one. I didn’t want “GT” on my car.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda

mediumrare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Plasti dip is pretty easy and cheap to do on the emblems. You don't even need to mask around them perfectly just make a square around the emblem with masking tape and if you do enough layer you can just peel off the excess plastidip without taking off the layer on the emblem itself.

You can also remove it really quickly if you end up not liking it. I have a black PP1 car too and did all my emblems but soon realized it was too much black and the emblems have it some contrast and dimension, only left the pony black. Ive seen some gunmetal grey emblems for sale I wonder how those would look on a black car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Just painted mine
Auto Show 1.jpg

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Plastidip works pretty well on the front and rear but looks like dog crap on the 5.0 badges. You can find oem style badges on eBay for less than half of what the Ford vendors list them at. I ended up replacing sides and back but still have the pony up front dipped.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue
Hyperdip. I did mine for 20 bucks front and rear emblems. Worth saving the money and still looks good

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue