Sponsored

Swapping cams.. knowledge me..

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Bored and tried to search but nothing good,.So just a stock 15’ car with 3” borla catback. And a Sct Bdx sitting here yet to play with. Ordered catch can and tranny/diff fluids as it’s on jacks from catback install.

So, given mods above and not ruling out doing LT’s

but swapping cams and a good tune, what can one expect for hp?
driveability?
other parts? Besides doing opg and sprocket while apart.
locking out?

just trying to get a feel for what I could expect, and hp for the buck deal.Again if it’s good, I wouldn’t mind finding a 18+ intake while I’m in their.

?
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Cams would be beneficial to you, but you would probably get more out of them when paired with LTHs and an E85 tune. It’ll be expensive labor wise, unless you’re capable of doing the work yourself.

905Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 pp mustang gt
Bored and tried to search but nothing good,.So just a stock 15’ car with 3” borla catback. And a Sct Bdx sitting here yet to play with. Ordered catch can and tranny/diff fluids as it’s on jacks from catback install.

So, given mods above and not ruling out doing LT’s

but swapping cams and a good tune, what can one expect for hp?
driveability?
other parts? Besides doing opg and sprocket while apart.
locking out?

just trying to get a feel for what I could expect, and hp for the buck deal.Again if it’s good, I wouldn’t mind finding a 18+ intake while I’m in their.

?
Comps 220/234 cams with a tune a LT headers add abt 70hp and almost 100tq at the wheels, move the power up higher in the rev range too.

OP
OP
Mustangfreek

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
ok
that chop I hear on some, I keep hearing locking out, locked out ?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Honestly it's a lot of work and expense for not huge gains. Better off to add boost for the $ spent unless you're going all out with a built motor.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Honestly it's a lot of work and expense for not huge gains. Better off to add boost for the $ spent unless you're going all out with a built motor.
Agreed, but if the OP is looking for every available ounce of power, then he might be on the right track. I don’t have that mod in me unless something happens to where I have to disassemble the motor, in which case I will definitely put it back together with ported heads, a valve job and some nice cams.

OP
OP
Mustangfreek

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Gotcha.

kinda what I thought, and after adding up some cams, chains, gears, etc, its a lot

morebso curiousit, still curious to hear some hp numbers of cam/bolt on setups

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The fact you have a 2015 2nd Gen Coyote you should first look at maybe a Ford Racing Power kit or something of the same ilk. Cams like to work above 7k rpm and yet you will be limited to power up until 7k rpm. Cams are worth upto 15rwhp in a mild version. Anymore and you will need to push power out to 8krpm+ meaning probably a full dedicated build.

I would look at this before I would do cams.

Ford Racing Power Kit 3

For those who say to just do FI, I agree. However, I want to keep the car normally aspirated and I am looking into cams along with 4.09 gears.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Hot Rod magazine did a really good article on the GenIII coyote and the various upgrades. I haven't seen anything done the same for GenII but never know.

Read the articles and you will see what each upgrade did to the GenIII. Can't say the outcome will be the same for the GenII but it will at least give you an idea. Though to sum it up, cams do much more with a better intake like the Cobra Jet. They do make power with other IM's but the Cobra Jet was able to take advantage of it more.

Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hot Rod magazine did a really good article on the GenIII coyote and the various upgrades. I haven't seen anything done the same for GenII but never know.

Read the articles and you will see what each upgrade did to the GenIII. Can't say the outcome will be the same for the GenII but it will at least give you an idea. Though to sum it up, cams do much more with a better intake like the Cobra Jet. They do make power with other IM's but the Cobra Jet was able to take advantage of it more.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/m...yimageid=32f95b1e-021e-47fc-9486-c6e89369bade

Reading it now, thanks

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you have the timing cover off do gt350 primary chains boss tensioners MMR secondary tensioner flip bracket

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Cam install is actually surprisingly easy. Just tedious work. Swapped my cams solo using the service manual and some YouTube vids.
Sponsored