Sponsored

Supercharged vehicles in hot climates/cooling mods??

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Has anyone invested in the Mishimoto oil cooler or heard anything about it? I was thinking of adding this to my setup sometime down the road.

http://www.makperformance.com/2015-2017-Mustang-GT-Oil-Cooler-Kit_p_584.html
There is a thread about it here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39015&highlight=oil+cooler

Testing results on page 6

I was thinking about purchasing one, but I started reading about how "optimal" oil temp is around 200F, and generally that under that is too low. So I decided against the oil cooler. I am not trying to bash Mishimoto's oil cooler and I may be flawed in my logic, this is just my opinion.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
There is a thread about it here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39015&highlight=oil+cooler

Testing results on page 6

I was thinking about purchasing one, but I started reading about how "optimal" oil temp is around 200F, and generally that under that is too low. So I decided against the oil cooler. I am not trying to bash Mishimoto's oil cooler and I may be flawed in my logic, this is just my opinion.
I to am not a fan of the oil coolers for a DD especially one that is in cooler climates and has a short commute like me. My car in spring and fall temps takes 15 minutes for the oil to reach 160-170. Thats with a dedicated oil temp gauge I installed in the oil pan, not the lazy inaccurate stock gauge that is an estimate temp pulling data from others temp sensors. In my case I need oil to reach operating temps faster to protect the engine. If one was drag racing or road corse racing then it could make sense.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I to am not a fan of the oil coolers for a DD especially one that is in cooler climates and has a short commute like me. My car in spring and fall temps takes 15 minutes for the oil to reach 160-170. Thats with a dedicated oil temp gauge I installed in the oil pan, not the lazy inaccurate stock gauge that is an estimate temp pulling data from others temp sensors. In my case I need oil to reach operating temps faster to protect the engine. If one was drag racing or road corse racing then it could make sense.
Just to point out, Mishimoto does use a Thermostatic sandwich plate which doesn't open until 185F. So it shouldn't delay warmup.

I just realized that contradicts my statements too. I suppose the oil cooler would only drop the temps to 185F in that case... Mishimoto was measuring cooler outlet temps on their test between 145-160F. So the sandwich plate opens at 185F cooler inlet temp.

In that case its unclear whether "optimal" oil temps are at inlet or outlet from the engine. Perhaps it would be good for the "inlet" to be lower, but personally I won't be installing one unless my oil temps raise after SC install compared to stock.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Hello to everyone,

If any one has further questions regarding our oil cooler kit, please feel to contact us directly for a prompt and accurate response at [email protected] We have an amazing customer service team that would be more then happy to assist you.

Thank you and have a great day
Mishimoto

Sponsored

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I have the Cervinis Ram Air hood and just installed their ram air duct. Before install my IAT1 stayed around 5-6 above ambient when cruising, after install they are staying around 2-3 above ambient when cruising.

I then wrapped my intake tube with carbon fiber heat wrap and that seems to help my IATs when not cruising. Not a real big difference but they do climb slower now and they haven't gotten as high since install. I have the open box so I did not insulate it.
C.JPG

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I have the Cervinis Ram Air hood and just installed their ram air duct. Before install my IAT1 stayed around 5-6 above ambient when cruising, after install they are staying around 2-3 above ambient when cruising.

I then wrapped my intake tube with carbon fiber heat wrap and that seems to help my IATs when not cruising. Not a real big difference but they do climb slower now and they haven't gotten as high since install. I have the open box so I did not insulate it.
Looks like we had the same idea:thumbsup:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I noticed a huge difference on track after removing the plastic coping that covers the wiper motor and seals the back of the hood shut. (Also remove the rubber gasket from the underside of the back of the hood.)
After doing this, my max CHT after 20 minutes of lapping MSR was 184F with ambient of 54F. I actually had to block off almost all of the front top grill to get my temps back up to 198F.
Next test day will be in May at TWS so likely higher temps there.

When sitting in traffic not moving, I still see temps get above 220F.
The airbox for the Whipple is a huge block to getting air up out from under the hood on that side.

Wrapping headers (engine bay heat) and exhaust (diff heat) is next on my list.
Sponsored