Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Now a (intentional) turd in a Tri suit, that would be interesting ..
yeah no zipper and with the thigh length leggings, it's not like you can pull the one side over to expose the exhaust port. Hmm, someone needs to design a overlapping 'flap' system (think male undies front but for the rear)
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Once again hill start assist is fantastic, especially with an auto where it combines with creep.

Norm - is there anything invented in the last 50 years that you actually do like ?
I won't buy an automatic. And since I have never needed help getting a MT car to move off from a full stop even on a hill, there simply isn't anything in that little task that's 'broken' to the point of needing 'fixing'.

On the question of "new inventions", EFI. I never really liked tinkering with carburetors and distributor advance mechanisms. I even swapped a carburetor-era engine over to aftermarket multipoint EFI . . . the kind you had to tune with a laptop, not the newer EFI's that supposedly tune themselves. It wasn't that I couldn't work with carbs, I just didn't like to.

Digital photography (16MP 65X superzoom, not just a phone).

Flat-screen TV and DVR. I don't need them to do anything I couldn't do before with CRT TVs and a VHS recorder, but I like the new stuff here better.

Automotive scan tools.

Enough for you?

Norm

Last edited:

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have friends that will pee on the bike (or run) leg of a tri - I don’t even pee in the swim, too much respect for my kit ... lol

Now a (intentional) turd in a Tri suit, that would be interesting ... :cwl:

WD :like:
its not as common in super long endurance races that a few seconds or even a couple of minutes dont matter AS MUCH in the long run. Urine changes the PH level of the skin, and will quickly lead to chafing as it dries, unlike sweat.

but marathons..or things around that distance/time..is fairly common.

also normally if it is a "turd" its more diahhrea lol. "runners trot"

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I won't buy an automatic. And since I have never needed help getting a MT car to move off from a full stop even on a hill, there simply isn't anything in that little task that's 'broken' to the point of needing 'fixing'.

Norm
I don't 'need' Hill Hold but it is so much better than a handbrake there is no reason to go back. I certainly wouldn't turn off something that is better than before !

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I wonder how thoughts on cruise control and acc differ by age, there should be a poll. When ever I'm in the car with my mother I always note she wont use cruise control. Her reasons are she doesn't know what to do with her foot and it wasn't in cars she learned to drive in.
Fair question, and the results of such a poll might be interesting depending on how it was phrased. For most of us older folks, cruise control was rare to the point where it might as well have not existed at all. So we learned how to drive at a reasonably constant pace all by ourselves (some of us getting better at it than others). It's simply the way cars were driven, so you just learned how to drive that way and didn't worry about it.

Always makes me laugh.
Why?

I suspect its like any technology, on average newer generations are more willing to embrace it.
My take is that older generations tend to be more selective about which new technologies they're going to embrace.

"To advocate replacing the horse, which had served man through centuries, marked one as an imbecile. Things are very different today. But in the ’90s, even though I had a successful bicycle business, and was building my first car in the privacy of the cellar in my home, I began to be pointed out as “the fool who is fiddling with a buggy that will run without being hitched to a horse.” My banker called on me to say: “Winton, I am disappointed in you.”

-Alexander Winton (sold first car in U.S.)
The Saturday Evening Post 1911
All I can say here is that the advantage of CC or even ACC over the driver having to control his vehicle's speed all by himself isn't in any conceivable way, shape, or manner comparable to the advantage the car has over the horse.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't 'need' Hill Hold but it is so much better than a handbrake there is no reason to go back. I certainly wouldn't turn off something that is better than before !
I don't use the handbrake for a hill start either, just don't seem to need the help. While I can't say I never have used a car's handbrake for that purpose, I can't remember when the last time was, or even which car I might have been driving. Could have been the car I last drove back around 1995.

Let me turn the question around - what, exactly, would make HSA so much better when you've already got a way that still works just fine.

I get it that a new driver to stick-shift driving would probably appreciate HSA in the beginning and not think about there being any other way afterward.

Norm

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
manner comparable to the advantage the car has over the horse.
actually we did have ACC back in the day. if the horse was feeling good and had clear field ahead of him he'd speed up even without the lash. And if a coyote or rattlesnake was in the way he'd activate the emergency stop and swerve mode. And if in a convoy of wagons he'd walk as fast as the wagon ahead would let him.

I think we should have a voice-activated gas and brake mechanism. It would respond to 'giddiyup betsy', 'easy girl', tongue clicks, 'woah nellie' and jabbing the left and right side of the foot well. Some reins on a rotating spindle would do swell.

Alright, alright, gotta rein in this thread and steer (jab) it back on the narrow trail and keep an eye out for thread-jackers up on the ridge intent on stealing our precious content.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Some on here really should stick to a horse and cart.
You probably consider my '08 GT in the same category. Know what? It's nice to have a car that can't even try to do so many things for you (the way somebody else thinks they should be done).

Norm

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
yeah no zipper and with the thigh length leggings, it's not like you can pull the one side over to expose the exhaust port. Hmm, someone needs to design a overlapping 'flap' system (think male undies front but for the rear)
So, I was reading this thread and you were the last one on page 4 talking car tech. I jumped ahead to page 7 and found a perfectly out of context post...

Sponsored

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
on behalf of the last 3 pages I apologize. This is what happens when you don't have active (or paid) moderators. :)
Lol, I dig it.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So, I was reading this thread and you were the last one on page 4 talking car tech. I jumped ahead to page 7 and found a perfectly out of context post...
It's all Norm's fault. He's a troublemaker! :cwl: :crackup::cwl::crackup:

Sometimes humor doesn't translate very well over the internet. Sometimes I miss it entirely.
Norm, please notice the laughing emoji's. That's humor. :like::rockon::beer:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Adamone92 - Yeah your right with that, the same mate who will happily pee himself on an iron, point blank refused to do it when he did a double - after taking advice from someone who had and then paid the price ... :cwl:

WD :like:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
also normally if it is a "turd" its more diahhrea lol. "runners trot"
As we say at work when some one rips a fart of questionable dryness, that's gonna itch when it dries.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I don't use the handbrake for a hill start either, just don't seem to need the help. While I can't say I never have used a car's handbrake for that purpose, I can't remember when the last time was, or even which car I might have been driving. Could have been the car I last drove back around 1995.

Let me turn the question around - what, exactly, would make HSA so much better when you've already got a way that still works just fine.

Norm
A steep hill start is impossible (and poor driving technique) without a handbrake. Jumping from foot brake to gas and lifting the clutch you will roll backwards which in the UK is an instant fail of the driving test.

When things are better then it is silly not to move forward with it.
Sponsored