corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Really good video. I knew this was true already having queued up getting off a ferry for half an hour of constant stop start crawling. The Mustang chews through fuel when idling to the extent that compared to my Mondeo (Fusion) with stop start I lost 30 miles of range in that hour.
That would be 'projected range', which is based on current fuel usage rates. Not actual range. Pretty sure you'd get some of that 30 mile "paper" loss back if the next hour of driving was at some sustained speed. I've watched projected range numbers increase by at least 40 miles in the WRX. You know the car can't be making its own gasoline to get that increased range, so the flip side is that it doesn't burn through as much as a dropping projected range readout suggests is happening.

Norm
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The BMW's I have had would add miles onto the projected range.

The Kia I have wont add miles, but you can drive it without the range dropping.

The mustang might as well just say go fill up, now ... :cwl:

WD :like:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I actually agree with Greg on this being a really good video. But I wasn't surprised at the results (I might have guessed 30 seconds, which might be within reason for a carbureted engine).

The EE guy was careful enough to note that the results are solely with respect to fuel economy, with any individual requirement for things like A/C being strictly individual driver wants. It was also clear that he was only testing vehicles with automatic transmission. I'm thinking stop-start could end up being a nuisance with a manual transmission, as I can see it messing with your clutch pedal timing.

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll readily concede sitting for 40 seconds, rolling for 5, sitting for another 30 seconds and rolling a few feet is a sure-fired way to waste a LOT of gas in the aggregate. Problem is with auto-start/stop it can't cycle that frequently for more than a few rounds and then gives up and stays running. Or the slow crawl where you go 1 wheel revolution per 5 seconds also doesn't lend itself to shutting off.

The only answer to that is to install your JATO packs and pull a Chitty-chitty-bang-bang and leave a smoking crater where the car behind you was.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Auto stop start on our 19 Mazda 3 doesnt bother us, but one thing i absolutely love and think once you get use to it, how did you ever live without it features is the auto hold for the brakes, coming up to a stop light and just let the electric e brake hold you there, at first i was like this is a gimmick but now i love it, drive through, stop light just a great feature without having to hold the brake pedal down.
Hill start assist is the answer to a question that would never have occurred to either of us to ask. But there seems to be a recurring theme about people not wanting to use the pedals for the purpose that they're there for.

The last two cars we bought had hill start assist. Tried it out in the first one a couple of times (Subaru Legacy 2.5GT, 6MT. Its default was 'off' so you had to press a button to activate it). It wasn't as bad as some apparently are (*cough* Camaro, where it can be much too lazy about releasing), but it wasn't offering anything of advantage to us either so we never used it. On the WRX, it was set up to be on by default, but I shut it off in the menus. We've never missed it.

Norm

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I'm thinking stop-start could end up being a nuisance with a manual transmission, as I can see it messing with your clutch pedal timing.
I don't think so. A rental I had last year (low end Seat or VW Polo I think) was manual (cheapest option) and came with stop and go. Ended up switching it off because it felt a bit annoying (irrational feeling perhaps. Perhaps I should have left it on till I got used to to reduce my fuel costs a little.), but did not notice any problems at all related to clutch. Felt as smooth as it feels in an automatic.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK, so we've discussed ACC & Auto stop/start until we are blue in the face. How does everyone feel about this new feature?

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 9.28.10 AM.png

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so we've discussed ACC & Auto stop/start until we are blue in the face. How does everyone feel about this new feature?
that's been around for ages in one form or another. ForScan lets you kill it too.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Hill start assist is the answer to a question that would never have occurred to either of us to ask. But there seems to be a recurring theme about people not wanting to use the pedals for the purpose that they're there for.

The last two cars we bought had hill start assist. Tried it out in the first one a couple of times (Subaru Legacy 2.5GT, 6MT. Its default was 'off' so you had to press a button to activate it). It wasn't as bad as some apparently are (*cough* Camaro, where it can be much too lazy about releasing), but it wasn't offering anything of advantage to us either so we never used it. On the WRX, it was set up to be on by default, but I shut it off in the menus. We've never missed it.

Norm
Once again hill start assist is fantastic, especially with an auto where it combines with creep.

Norm - is there anything invented in the last 50 years that you actually do like ?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some on here really should stick to a horse and cart. Not sure if you can turn off a farting horse in forscan though !
For a few dollars you can probably find somebody to stick their arm up the horse's ass and act as a 'plug'. I'll bet there are (ultra-)marathoners or triathaletes who wish they could do their bizness while on the run like horses can. Would make the course a little more interesting.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
For a few dollars you can probably find somebody to stick their arm up the horse's ass and act as a 'plug'. I'll bet there are (ultra-)marathoners or triathaletes who wish they could do their bizness while on the run like horses can. Would make the course a little more interesting.
actually, its not uncommon for competitive runners to pee or even poop during a race.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
As a vet I have personal experience of that trick !

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
actually, its not uncommon for competitive runners to pee or even poop during a race.
I have friends that will pee on the bike (or run) leg of a tri - I don’t even pee in the swim, too much respect for my kit ... lol

Now a (intentional) turd in a Tri suit, that would be interesting ... :cwl:

WD :like:
Sponsored