Stuck on ESS for my DD...can't decide

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
man i know youre supposed to get more low end torque with a PD. and i know the ESS is supposed to not really make boost until 4k...but it doesnt take much to get there. On a hard acceleration in 1st-3rd i can still break the wheels free and im only on a 120mm with a 93 tune. I feel if i put on a whipple, which actually was my first choice before i found out about ESS, i would have tons of low end power that would be mostly unusable unless i got some street radials and new halfshafts.
Sponsored

blakeman8192

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2021 Tesla M3P
Imho, go with the G3X with the G4 intercooler. That's what i want to get for my car as well.
For a 600whp goal I think this might be overkill, no? That's like spending the money on 1000cc injectors and never planning to go past 93 octane.

sdskinner73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 premium GT A10 3.55s
For a 600whp goal I think this might be overkill, no? That's like spending the money on 1000cc injectors and never planning to go past 93 octane.
ESS told me directly yesterday not to do a G4 intercooler on the G2 kit.

He said “You just need G3 cooler, G4 is overkill. You also just need either DW415
or the booster, both is not needed for pump gas use.

Stock cats works fine for moderate power levels if tuned correctly with
cat temperature control in place. We also recommend the Kooks high
performance cats with headers. They are EPA compliant as well.

blakeman8192

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
ESS told me directly yesterday not to do a G4 intercooler on the G2 kit.

He said “You just need G3 cooler, G4 is overkill. You also just need either DW415
or the booster, both is not needed for pump gas use.

Stock cats works fine for moderate power levels if tuned correctly with
cat temperature control in place. We also recommend the Kooks high
performance cats with headers. They are EPA compliant as well.
Also G3X is only useful if you're going with a pulley smaller than 100mm, which will never happen unless you're going for 800whp+ on E85 with a fuel system. It's not like the G2->G3 upgrade where it'll move more air and give you a small power bump for the same PSI.

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
Well, I disagree. I would rather go a little more over engineered and run the blower a little easier than run a smaller unit harder.

Sponsored

blakeman8192

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
Well, I disagree. I would rather go a little more over engineered and run the blower a little easier than run a smaller unit harder.
Fair enough, it's your money after all

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Even if that’s your mentality, then you still only need the G3, going up to G3X will literally do nothing for you over the G3 if staying on low boost… except waste your money.

blakeman8192

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for informing me of that. I wasn't aware
Seems like you also aren't aware that you're making terrible suggestions as to how other people should spend their money just because "that's what you plan to do". I haven't heard of a single G3 impeller failure with pulley >= 100mm.

Pws6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Seems like you also aren't aware that you're making terrible suggestions as to how other people should spend their money just because "that's what you plan to do". I haven't heard of a single G3 impeller failure with pulley >= 100mm.
Have there been any reported failures with any pulley and a G3? Outside of ESS' recommendation, I have not actually heard of any failures of the head unit under any conditions

Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have there been any reported failures with any pulley and a G3? Outside of ESS' recommendation, I have not actually heard of any failures of the head unit under any conditions
Not that I have seen, I am also on a few of the ESS groups on FB.. I did see a few wrong blowers got mixed up at some point and sent out to people with their kits, which the impellers were spinning the opposite way, but ESS fixed it.

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
Even if that’s your mentality, then you still only need the G3, going up to G3X will literally do nothing for you over the G3 if staying on low boost… except waste your money.
Yes, that is mentality and I choose to waste my money. Spend yours as your choose.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase

John S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Can the Mach 1 clutch, Tremec 3160, and rest of the drive train handle the torque boost of a 600HP system without chasing the weak links? I'm thinking the boost characteristics of a centrifugal blower would be a little less stressful on the driveline than a positive displacement blower?
Sponsored