Strange Engine Bay Rattle

Saltiez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Car just started generating a weird rattle or vibration noise from 2k-4k rpm range while coasting or decel, any thoughts on what this might be?

The car has been with Ford for several days and they're starting to think it may be engine top end related but wanted to see if anyone else had this sound from their cars. The only attempted fix so far has been replacing the AC compressor which didn't resolve the issue.

Video:
Sponsored

OP
OP

Saltiez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
is it still there in neutral?

theres another problem Im hearing...its that the nav voice is british and it doesnt match the spirit of that GT350
Haha I got SIRI set up in Australian mode for some reason....

Only when the car is in gear does it make the noise. Doesn't matter if it's cold or hot either. I read on another post that it could be the engine to clutch housing plate needing replaced/shimmed but that only rattles when the car is hot so idk.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Your video wouldn’t play on my iphone..

If it’s in the rpm range you and conditions you mentioned, chances are it’s the plate.

Too bad your dealer is replacing parts willy nilly.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
How about you turn the radio up......shut the eff up and drive your car.

Theres literally 100’s of parts making noises on cars....yea let us narrow it down over the internet....

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Does not quite sound like the rear cylinder block plate, I knew that sound quite well. It only happens when warm at about 4K rpm.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Gees calm down Tony wtf
dude... people cant do this shit....i used to be a ford mastertech.....everyones ears hear differently...and asking on a forum is so ridiculous. You have a road going race car.....if the dealer checks it out and says its ok...theirs your documentation if something happens.

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
dude... people cant do this shit....i used to be a ford mastertech.....everyones ears hear differently...and asking on a forum is so ridiculous. You have a road going race car.....if the dealer checks it out and says its ok...theirs your documentation if something happens.
I'd trust a 10 year old bag of rock salt to troubleshoot an error more than I would a dealer. Also asking a forum is not ridiculous, it's possible someone has had the same issue before and can immediately recognize what it is. If they can't, this can serve as precedent in case someone else has this issue later on and the solution is posted here.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I'd trust a 10 year old bag of rock salt to troubleshoot an error more than I would a dealer. Also asking a forum is not ridiculous, it's possible someone has had the same issue before and can immediately recognize what it is. If they can't, this can serve as precedent in case someone else has this issue later on and the solution is posted here.
not at all true....have you not seen these threads.....all the keyboard warriors come out and say it could be 10-20 different things.

“Well jimmy jo trunkslammer said it could be this’’
‘’ well i heard it could be this’’
‘’Ive seen it could be this’’

my 350 clicks, clunks growls......its not a Honda civic

Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
not at all true....have you not seen these threads.....all the keyboard warriors come out and say it could be 10-20 different things.

“Well jimmy jo trunkslammer said it could be this’’
‘’ well i heard it could be this’’
‘’Ive seen it could be this’’

my 350 clicks, clunks growls......its not a Honda civic
Plenty of issues have been solved from questions on the forums, but if you'd like to refute that, take it to PM. There's no reason to continue to derail the thread.

On-topic: Does it do it in every gear at the exact same RPM range? You mentioned it was from 2-4k, but is it the same for every gear?

OP
OP

Saltiez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Plenty of issues have been solved from questions on the forums, but if you'd like to refute that, take it to PM. There's no reason to continue to derail the thread.

On-topic: Does it do it in every gear at the exact same RPM range? You mentioned it was from 2-4k, but is it the same for every gear?
Appreciate all the input, and although it’s hard to distinguish what’s going on over a video... someone else may have had the exact same problem and sounds just like you said.

The noise is consistent in all gears at that RPM range. Also, the noise got significantly louder and more metallicy after the AC compressor they replaced.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Actually, the rear cylinder block plate rattle.....the only way I solved it was by talking on this forum (with recordings of it) and finding a fix for it here then THEN also showing it to my "know all dealer tech" who then told me to "live with it".......so I don't say the forum is not to useful for noises.

Deleted member 37397

Video won’t play on my iPhone. I mostly wanted to hear Siri in Australian.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I don’t hear anything in that video. Just exhaust and turn left.
Sponsored