Sponsored

Strange dyno result after FPP tune

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I had the FPP tune installed at the dealer a few weeks ago on my 2019 EB A10 Premium. No other mods, bone stock. I've been running Chevron 94 octane gas and put over 1000 miles on it since the tune. Yesterday I decided to get a dyno run to see what kind of numbers I was getting after the tune. I went to a local performance shop (Mopac Performance) who have a mustang dyno. The dyno operator was a nice guy and seemed to know his stuff. I told him to pull the ABS fuse and do the run in 5th gear. After the run was over, he told me the power dropped off dramatically at 5K RPMs. If you look at the dyno graph attached, you can see the HP peaks at about 4K RPM and then starts to fall off. Now the strange thing is that on the street, I don't feel this drop off. The car seems to pull hard all the way to redline. Is there something we did wrong with the dyno run. Did traction control kick in? Any ides at all?
Sponsored

OP
OP

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Forgot to attach the dyno graph.
CCI20190625.jpg

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Do you have an intercooler? What was the temps at the time of the Dyno run? Without an intercooler these cars just die at 5k rpm tuned or not. Before my intercooler my car would heat soak after just one hard pull

OP
OP

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Stock intercooler. I only did one pull and the car sat for 45 minutes in the parking lot before the run. It was 75 degrees and humidity was 49%. Also, I'm at sea level.

OP
OP

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Should also have mentioned that my stock baseline dyno run was 248 HP and 288 TQ. Car pulled well all the way to 6K RPM.
2019 Mustang EB Stock Dyno.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so what do you suggest for a dyno run, ice down the intercooler prior to the run?

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Was the stock dyno also ran on a Mustang Dynometer or was it a different dyno machine?

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
There is a table that limits boost from IAT, there is also one that will pull timing, and finally you get the catalytic over temp protection that will dump a lot of fuel to get them to cool, that is what you are probably seeing after 5k.

You need a better intercooler than the stock one, ETS and Speed Factory make good bang for the buck intercoolers, there is also a vendor in here that makes budget priced intercoolers that will outperform the stock one. The stock unit doesn't have enough mass to absorb the heat of one dyno pass, so you would need to cool it in the midst of it, maybe nitrous or CO2 if you want that, but that wouldn't represent what you would actually see when driving down the road.

OP
OP

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the help with this, looks like I'm getting a new intercooler.

Sponsored

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
I did a dyno session yestsrday on a dynojet dyno that is local to me (see my dyno thread 331whp 376lb-ft). Thry told me that if the hp and tirque numbers dont cross at 5250 rpm the dyno is worthless. Dont kniw why just wanted to share thst here. Do you have a dynojet locally? I hear that they cannot be manupulated.

OP
OP

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I still think there was something off with either the dyno or the operator on my second dyno run. Still, after reading all I could on the stock intercooler and what a limiting factor it is for these cars, I went ahead and ordered the CVF Street Intercooler and charge pipes. After I get this installed I'll do another dyno run and see what gives.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
HP is a function of TQ, so the dyno measures torque and then calculates HP. The formula is HP= ( TQ x RPM) / 5252

So HP and TQ have to be equal at 5252 rpm or the math in their calculation is wrong or shown in different units.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Forgot to attach the dyno graph.
CCI20190625.jpg
That is not a valid plot of anything. There is no crossover point and just looks like a very bad plot.
Why does the test/plot only go from 3200rpms to 5200 rpms...?

I would not accept that dyno (graph), or paid for it. It has to be presented like the second photo in post #5 where they cross over in 5252 rpms.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
The scales aren’t equal but it appears HP and TQ will cross at 5252 like they should.

It’s just atypical scaling.
Sponsored