Storing summer tires in the garage during winter

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
I have a pair of Michelin PS4S and PSS tires (mounted on LMR SP2) that I changed for winter tires. Are there any drawbacks of storing them in my unheated garage during winter - as compared to storing them inside the house. I live in MD where the night time temps go below freezing in Dec/Jan and can go as low as single digits/teens if we have a snowstorm or hit by a polar vortex.

After being exposed to such cold temps, they wont be used on the car till march or so till night time temps are 45+.

Any drawbacks to storing it this way - or should I bring them in.
Sponsored

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I think it would be okay in unheated garage. I would suspect summer tires would be replaced in 2-4 years of service, not be in service that would exceed rubber's life expectancy (what 8-10 years?).

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Lower the tire pressure to 5 psi. But em in bags. Stand them upright. try not to move them around in bone chilling cold. They'll be fine. PS; I live in one of the most brutal winter climates in the world.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Street tires are ok to be stored in cold temps, as long as they are not used until they properly warm back up in the spring.

Now R compound tires or slicks, I'd be weary of storing in anything below 40* and certainly not in below freezing temps. That can permanently damage them.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I keep my ps4s in an unheated garage. Granted my garage is warmer than the outside, but I digress. I just keep all four stacked ontop of each other in the corner (don't have room for anything else) at the same psi they were at when on the car. This will be the third year and the tires are just fine. Temps can easily get into the negative during the winter.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I have 6 tires in my home office and 6 in the family room. I could put them in the shed but choose not to because the internet convinced me they might stay faster longer.

OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
As mentioned take the air out or they can crack
That's easy. I have to rearrange stuff to see if I can avoid stacking them on top of each other.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I keep my ps4s in an unheated garage. Granted my garage is warmer than the outside, but I digress. I just keep all four stacked ontop of each other in the corner (don't have room for anything else) at the same psi they were at when on the car. This will be the third year and the tires are just fine. Temps can easily get into the negative during the winter.
+1. No issues with a stack in the corner after years and years of use. The first ride when swapping is a bit bumpy until the flat-spots dissipate, though.

OP, install wall-mounts if you have the motivation; I have plenty of friends who do this. It keeps the tires round and the garage looks great with the wheels showcased.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Been doing this for years going from a summer set up and back to stockers during the winter and I've never had an issue. I just stack mine on a moving dolly to make it simple to move around.
Sponsored