Sponsored

Stock vs Tuned vs JLT vs PMAS - The Real Dyno Test!

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Airflow does make a huge difference. Just try putting one of those bumper bras on the car and drive with it for a day, it's an obvious difference when airflow coming into the grille is disrupted. I have a novistretch one and that's why I hate driving with it
Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Wasn't that right at the same time Lethal started selling the PMAS?

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
There is no lack of air when the hood is closed. It's not as if it's a sealed environment. At best you could argue there is a lack of forced, fresh air, but then these aren't ram-air setups.
There is a massive airflow difference moving down the road at even moderate speeds vs fans on a dyno. Underhood temps, chts and iats would be much hotter doing repeated pulls on the dyno vs the street.

This members independent test showed about 1.5whp lost with hood closed (12.5 vs 14whp gained vs stock air box) vs open with the PMAS which is more realistic because they didn't heat soak the hell out of it on the dyno.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58860&highlight=PMAS

What I took from palm beach dyno's results was that the PMAS gained almost twice what the JLT did. 15whp vs 8whp. That members test above also shows comparable gains at 14whp and 12.5whp.

Last edited:

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
6 pulls each, 3 with hood up, 3 with hood down. On the hood down both JLT and PMAS performed worse due to knock and/or other reasons compared to stock intake.
LOL

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Derek from Lethal tested the PMAS at the track with his hood closed in relatively crappy da and picked up about 1.5-2 tenths and about 2mph.
This.
Thank you.
It seems like people just want to swing from one end to the other of "it's great" to "it's worthless and no power gained" when there was a test done, just as legitimate and valid s the ones done here, (in my opinion even more so, because trap speed>dyno numbers)

2mph trap increase is roughly 15-20hp no matter which way you slice and dice it.
There is a massive airflow difference moving down the road at even moderate speeds vs fans on a dyno. Underhood temps, chts and iats would be much hotter doing repeated pulls on the dyno vs the street.

This members independent test showed about 1.5whp lost with hood closed (12.5 vs 14whp gained vs stock air box) vs open with the PMAS which is more realistic because they didn't heat soak the hell out of it on the dyno.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58860&highlight=PMAS

What I took from palm beach dyno's results was that the PMAS gained almost twice what the JLT did. 15whp vs 8whp. That members test above also shows comparable gains at 14whp and 12.5whp.
Agreed. Again :)

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
This.
Thank you.
It seems like people just want to swing from one end to the other of "it's great" to "it's worthless and no power gained" when there was a test done, just as legitimate and valid s the ones done here, (in my opinion even more so, because trap speed>dyno numbers)

2mph trap increase is roughly 15-20hp no matter which way you slice and dice it.

Agreed. Again :)
Wasn't that right at the same time Lethal started selling the PMAS?
Gee, do you think they had an agenda?:shrug:

Last edited:
OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
i think a stick car is tough to judge gains on.

i really like track testing with an auto, less varibable to account for, in general we have seen usually .1 pickup at the track, and 2+ mph

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
i think a stick car is tough to judge gains on.

i really like track testing with an auto, less varibable to account for, in general we have seen usually .1 pickup at the track, and 2+ mph
Agreed the auto removes the driver from the equation as you can launch the auto using same method each time and keep it just in D to make it a good basis for testing. :)

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gee, do you think they an agenda?:shrug:
Probably. But so does everyone else. Beefcake is in the business of selling these intakes too

But when you see dyno plots of the JLT gaining power over stock, and the PMAS gaining power over the JLT, regardless of how big or small the gains are, and then a track test showing trap speed increase of at least 1-1.5mph, you at least have to acknowledge that it's not useless or pointless.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
I honestly think people place too much weight in track testing. Testing on the same dyno, on the same day, hell, even the same dyno with the same correction factor has waaay fewer variables than a track.

Weather, DA, wind direction, wind speed, driver variables, variables in staging depth, and the fact that trap speed is just a calculated value based on the time it took for the car to cover the last 320'.

Same dyno, on the same day, in an enclosed room is much more consistent.

Sponsored

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Camaro ss had a test on an intake on the drag strip. Cold air iductions inc intake. Car ran consistently couple tents seconds quicker with the intake on all runs. This was with NO TUNE. Thats what i call a real test. My guess is, when cubic inches increases the affect of the intake also increases, since you are working with more usable air. Didn't you have steeda and tested on the strip with no gains?

Yeah, I had the Steeda No tune version with the restrictor. Zero mph gain between that and the stock intake same day same track. Would it have gained without restrictor and tune over stock airbox? I'm sure 5-10rwhp would be possible.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
6 pulls each, 3 with hood up, 3 with hood down. On the hood down both JLT and PMAS performed worse due to knock and/or other reasons compared to stock intake.
But they still made more power than the stock intake both hood open and closed

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I honestly think people place too much weight in track testing. Testing on the same dyno, on the same day, hell, even the same dyno with the same correction factor has waaay fewer variables than a track.

Weather, DA, wind direction, wind speed, driver variables, variables in staging depth, and the fact that trap speed is just a calculated value based on the time it took for the car to cover the last 320'.

Same dyno, on the same day, in an enclosed room is much more consistent.
I disagree. Trap speed at the track tells the true tale.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
These track test gain claims are PMAS vs. stock; not PMAS vs. JLT. The difference between those two would not be worth going out and spending another $300 for a CAI if you already had the JLT unless y'all competitively drag race in an NA class.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Probably. But so does everyone else. Beefcake is in the business of selling these intakes too

But when you see dyno plots of the JLT gaining power over stock, and the PMAS gaining power over the JLT, regardless of how big or small the gains are, and then a track test showing trap speed increase of at least 1-1.5mph, you at least have to acknowledge that it's not useless or pointless.
For application where you a competing for time sure. For people whose cars are just for the street I would say $300 for an extra 1 MPH at the top end is an absolutely horrible bang for your buck. I guess it all just depends on what your goals are.
Sponsored