sticky tires for boosted cars

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
cars pushing around 710ish to the tires. have 305 ps4s tires in currently but i can still get them do spin on the street. will not be taking this to the drag strip nor be doing and digs in the car. usually will be running 40 rolls OR taking it around twisties and back roads.

what tires am i looking for that will will be sticky enough and be "OK" in the rain

thank you guys as always pfa
IMG_0134.jpeg
Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have some MT ET STREET SS tires on the way, I think those are going to work good, I am in the same situation as you, no drag strip, no digs, just rolls and occasionally get caught in rain.

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have some MT ET STREET SS tires on the way, I think those are going to work good, I am in the same situation as you, no drag strip, no digs, just rolls and occasionally get caught in rain.
thats what i was thinking too i just dont know if those are good for carving corners. i may have to do sport cup 2s or r888 tires to get the best of both worlds

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
R888r's, make sure they have the R. Not sure about the rain but pushing 720 rwhp and havent had any issues hooking

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
R888Rā€™s arenā€™t designed to shed water, hydroplaning would be a real concern in any kind of moderate to heavy rain or with any standing water. Sprinkle/drizzle/light rain you can probably grit your way through it. Cup2 would do a little better in the wet. Goodyear Supercar3 is similar to the Cup2 as I understand it, Iā€™ve not driven on the SC3 though. There are R compounds available for the Cup2 and SC3 as well.

Just depends on how much rain/wet you think youā€™ll encounter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
R888Rā€™s arenā€™t designed to shed water, hydroplaning would be a real concern in any kind of moderate to heavy rain or with any standing water. Sprinkle/drizzle/light rain you can probably grit your way through it. Cup2 would do a little better in the wet. Goodyear Supercar3 is similar to the Cup2 as I understand it, Iā€™ve not driven on the SC3 though. There are R compounds available for the Cup2 and SC3 as well.

Just depends on how much rain/wet you think youā€™ll encounter.
yea thats the hard part. you never know. im in missouri so we can experience all 4 seasons in the same day lol i want to have confidence when i get on it but if its raining outside or if its wet outside i want to be able to not stress about driving home in it either

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
yea thats the hard part. you never know. im in missouri so we can experience all 4 seasons in the same day lol i want to have confidence when i get on it but if its raining outside or if its wet outside i want to be able to not stress about driving home in it either
Yeah same here in Chicago as far as the weather goes. Iā€™ve only driven on Cup2ā€™s in nice weather so Iā€™d be interested to see what some folks that have driven them in the wet say. They should be a little bit better than the 888R, how much I donā€™t know. But they (Cup2) are a really good tire IMO.

The R compounds are designed for track use only, so theyā€™ll heat up quicker and get you the grip you want/need. Unfortunately if you get caught in the rain, theyā€™ll be a bit of a challenge.

The PS4S and Conti Extreme Contact Sport02 will shed water better but you will sacrifice some grip with a boosted car for sure (I run the Contiā€™s on my stock-power GT and they do great in the rain).

The Camaro ZL1-1LE came with Supercar3ā€™s from factory if that helps you at all.

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
cars pushing around 710ish to the tires. have 305 ps4s tires in currently but i can still get them do spin on the street. will not be taking this to the drag strip nor be doing and digs in the car. usually will be running 40 rolls OR taking it around twisties and back roads.

what tires am i looking for that will will be sticky enough and be "OK" in the rain

IMG_0134.jpeg
690 RWHP With a Whipple.
Same driving modes as you.
I live in a rain belt in Canada.
Went from Michelin PS4S 305/35/19 to Nitto555R2 305/35/19.
Tires are great and once warm hook good but I have a 6R80 so a bit different from a stick car.
But what I'm here for is to tell you the day I bought the new R2s it was pouring down rain after a few days of dry. They work great in the rain.
I really pushed them and they were honestly almost as good as my Michelins, to an extent of course. I daily drive in the rain and will buy the R2s again when I need to. Oh and I've found the treadwear not too bad either.

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
690 RWHP With a Whipple.
Same driving modes as you.
I live in a rain belt in Canada.
Went from Michelin PS4S 305/35/19 to Nitto555R2 305/35/19.
Tires are great and once warm hook good but I have a 6R80 so a bit different from a stick car.
But what I'm here for is to tell you the day I bought the new R2s it was pouring down rain after a few days of dry. They work great in the rain.
I really pushed them and they were honestly almost as good as my Michelins, to an extent of course. I daily drive in the rain and will buy the R2s again when I need to. Oh and I've found the treadwear not too bad either.
this was extremely helpful!!! thank you for telling me!

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_0134.jpeg
I run Nitto rII's from May to October. If you want to play seriously it's the only way to go with a boosted car. These tires are fine in the rain as long as you use your head. I've been doing this for three years.
Screenshot_20240419_174804_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

boostmark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS2, 2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 1998 E150
Firehawk Indy 500 work great for me. I`m at a little less power but they hold well in a stick car and the price is right up my ally. I have the 9 inch Roush rims so I could not go with 305 but the 275 hold the road. 670 hp

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I run Nitto rII's from May to October. If you want to play seriously it's the only way to go with a boosted car. These tires are fine in the rain as long as you use your head. I've been doing this for three years.
Screenshot_20240419_174804_Gallery.jpg
i appreciate the advice! looks like you live like 30 ish mins from me lmao im surprised i havent seen your car anywhere

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I do a lot of car shows and am going to Autocross this year.
im out in imperial lol cars just a garage queen but i do take her out on nice days like today just cant too narly in 4th just cause itll spin lol a10 car. im seeing people saying 5r2 tires dont grip saying mt street ss are better but then they have swaying issues so i want to stay away from that lol soooo im just deep in a rabbit hole now šŸ˜‚
Sponsored