Sponsored

sticky stuff on catalytic converter???

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
This morning I smelled something like burned rubber while driving with the windows down and I could smell it in the engine bay while idle. No idea where it's coming from, but I noticed there was a dark stain on the passenger side catalytic converter when I checked under the car (see pic). It was sticky when I wiped what I could reach and it looked liked burned caramel.
Could this be oil or something else leaking out of the cat or unlikely?
Are there any known issues in the engine that could cause this from the inside or is this most likely an outside factor (plastic bag or soda? lol)
There are no issues in the engine's performance or how the car drives from what I can tell.

cat.jpg
Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Outside source, either a fluid leak like oil, or some other object melted onto it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Highly unlikely it's any type of oil or fluid from the car, as it would most likely be at the top of the cat with some dripping down the side. It being at the very bottom means it was something from the ground that kicked and up and got melted by the heat. Either trash or part of a tire, especially since you said it smelled like rubber.
Sponsored