Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Anyone had oil on their catalytic converter after and oil change. Was smoking at the stop light, two days later can still smell and see it a little.
Taking it back today for a check up.
Hoping it’s just left over spill from the oil filter change.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Teezlr

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Oil filter doesn’t seem to be leaking but, after the oil change I do have a leak it seems.
Above the exhaust manifold perhaps? I’m running mobile 1 5w-20, shouldn’t be the cause but.

anyone familiar with this issue?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
They may have spilled some when trying to pour the oil in? Stinks that they didnt clean it up with brake cleaner though if that is the case. And actually that looks like drivers side , the oil fill is on the passenger side so IDK.

OP
OP
Teezlr

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
They may have spilled some when trying to pour the oil in? Stinks that they didnt clean it up with brake cleaner though if that is the case. And actually that looks like drivers side , the oil fill is on the passenger side so IDK.
Did some digging and looks like there was a TSB for missing valve cover gasket bolts, and they are also usually loose.

Going to tighten them up and see if that fixes it.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Whoever put that oil filter on was an asshole, you can clearly see tool marks from a filter wrench. I bet it's got all the ugga duggas the guy could muster. But yeah, if you look closely at the manifold nuts, your leak is coming from above. Probably valve cover.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
That filter looks busted!

Never go back there. It looks like the can is dented too.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Whoever put that oil filter on was an asshole, you can clearly see tool marks from a filter wrench. I bet it's got all the ugga duggas the guy could muster. But yeah, if you look closely at the manifold nuts, your leak is coming from above. Probably valve cover.
^ Agreed. Oil filter only goes on hand tight. 3/4 to a full turn once it seats. It looks like your guy used a wrench to tighten it on and crushed sides of the filter. I wouldn't trust that shop again.
That's a lot of oil leaking down. Odd that it happen right after your oil change. Maybe they removed the valve cover to add oil. Kinda half joking here given the condition of the oil filter.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^ Agreed. Oil filter only goes on hand tight. 3/4 to a full turn once it seats. It looks like your guy used a wrench to tighten it on and crushed sides of the filter. I wouldn't trust that shop again.
That's a lot of oil leaking down. Odd that it happen right after your oil change. Maybe they removed the valve cover to add oil. Kinda half joking here given the condition of the oil filter.
It looks like "19ft lb" is written on the filter. Maybe they torqued it to 90 instead.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, one more thing OP...did you check the oil level?

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
i was going to say. ive dented a few taking them off using a wrench but i dont care at that point. putting them on ive always done hand tight and never had any issue, on any car. i was starting to wonder if ive been doing it wrong but then again, never had an issue either so.

OP
OP
Teezlr

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I had a nice Fram on there with the change but we thought it was leaking so we replaced it with that one.

So, I tightened up all the valve cover bolts, the one on the firewall is hard to get at unless you have the right tools or small hands.

Will report back with results in a few days. Def valve cover leaking it seems.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Since the oil is coming from top side down - and not off of filter assembly, here's my guess:

1) couid be the valve cover issue, definitely check both valve covers using a high powered light to see better FROM TOP SIDE looking down.

2) your oil tech probably missed the hole either when filling and sprayed oil onto engine OR when he removed the hose, the oil was still draining out onto the engine.

The only way to clean that up is to do:
Simple Green OR on cold engine, get car up on stands or ramps and spray down the oiled areas with carb cleaner and wipe dry with towel. Get it as clean as you can.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Do they refill oil through the dip-stick tube? His "Exxon Valdez" is on the drivers side.
Sponsored