Steering Rack or Tie Rod Problem -- need help :(

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Car has some steering issues currently. Ever since my accident I've been chasing this steering problem. I am well aware suspension components are probably damaged but I want to single it out to one or a few parts.

My car's steering does steer straight but I have to keep making sure the wheel is centered. The steering feels sort of loose. My steering wheel also likes to turn a bit to the right when coming to a normal stop, more so on a hard stop. If I leave the car to drive by itself it slowly steers left with no steering input and when I had front runners on it slow steered right. Any insight?

My car also sits higher on one side than the other... or so I've noticed.

I've gotten multiple alignments and every time the issue still persists. I also have gotten caster camber plates hoping this could've solved the issue
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Have you inspected the suspension parts for damage? That's step 1.

Post your most recent alignment sheet.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 1989 fox body lx 5.0, 1997 camaro
What was the accident?

it kind of sounds to me like at least one of the radius or tension arms are bent, but more info on the accident will help narrow it down. Can you provide pictures?

OP
OP
jbanh100

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
Have you inspected the suspension parts for damage? That's step 1.

Post your most recent alignment sheet.
Will inspect it tomorrow when I put the car on ramps. I'd have to find my alignment sheet, I'm fairly certain some components are damaged no doubt about that. Thank you.

OP
OP
jbanh100

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
What was the accident?

it kind of sounds to me like at least one of the radius or tension arms are bent, but more info on the accident will help narrow it down. Can you provide pictures?
No problem. Are you referring to the control arms? The accident was only on one side but obviously the force of impact to damage other areas. I will post my accident. I basically lost control ( haha... i already owned up to it as a big dummy ) and slid into a concrete median. I was unfortunately caught in the rain on et street s/s.
IMG_2728.JPG
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.56.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.57.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.57.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.56.49 PM.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbanh100

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
lol sorry I'm retarded when it comes to posting images on this forum. but basically the shop was so incompetent as it was my first accident and I basically got scammed to keep my car in their shop it was too late when I realized their true motives but that's another story. They didn't fix much and they repainted my panels as opposed to replacing them... basically pocketed 21k and didn't do jack shit. Really wish insurance just totaled it out. this was back in march 2020

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
lol sorry I'm retarded when it comes to posting images on this forum. but basically the shop was so incompetent as it was my first accident and I basically got scammed to keep my car in their shop it was too late when I realized their true motives but that's another story. They didn't fix much and they repainted my panels as opposed to replacing them... basically pocketed 21k and didn't do jack shit. Really wish insurance just totaled it out. this was back in march 2020
I have the same issue I suspect it is from a crappy body shop from a previous owner on mine as well. Passenger side is cambered in much more then the drivers and seem to be a different height (litter higher).

When I pulled the wheels I couldn't see anything bent but I'm not really sure what the parts are supposed to look like.

Hopefully you find it! I would be interested if I have the same broken part.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Your just gonna have to inspect underneath and see if anything looks out of place. Check the subframe too and make sure it isn't bent where the control arms mount.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 1989 fox body lx 5.0, 1997 camaro
sorry to hear about your luck with the shop. It’s crazy how shady the auto repair industry can be.

Yes I was referring to the control arms in the front. After seeing the pic I’d be surprised if they weren’t bent on that side. I think the steering behavior you describe goes along with this as well though if one or both of the arms were bent with the double ball joint setup.

Have you already had some suspension items replaced other than the camber plates in the front? Idk if it’s just the picture, but the rear looks cambered out like crazy. Have only dealt with a handful of crashed cars, but I’ve normally seen something bent when there’s an impact big enough to move an adjustment that far.
Sponsored

Last edited: