Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is Here!

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I noticed less noise with my Tri-Ax as well over the stock shifter.
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Just had mine installed. Great piece. Shifting, as expected, is much improved.

That said, there is no way this is quieter than (or as quiet as) stock. A fair bit more nvh. This is after applying dynamat to the shifter itself and 2 layers of dynamat in the transmission tunnel.

This doesn't bother me though. What does bother me is after about 10 miles of driving with the new shifter, the reverse lockout collar has started vibrating and making awesomely annoying noises on 3/4 acceleration and above. It also 'squeaks' when I pull it up to put it in reverse.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

I will likely buy the aluminium unit, but not sure that will cure these vibrational noises I am hearing.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red

That said, there is no way this is quieter than (or as quiet as) stock. A fair bit more nvh. This is after applying dynamat to the shifter itself and 2 layers of dynamat in the transmission tunnel.

This doesn't bother me though. What does bother me is after about 10 miles of driving with the new shifter, the reverse lockout collar has started vibrating and making awesomely annoying noises on 3/4 acceleration and above. It also 'squeaks' when I pull it up to put it in reverse.

I will likely buy the aluminium unit, but not sure that will cure these vibrational noises I am hearing.

I installed the Barton billet reverse lockout collar with the Tri-Ax and haven't had any vibration issues. Hope you get this solved. :cheers:

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

We have installed hundreds of these shifters with no NVH issues.

1. Make sure your shifter boot and dynamat is properly installed, if it is not we will hear driveline noise.

2. Make sure you did not push the O- rings out on installation, this is common when you do not center the lock out collar while pushing down when assembling. Use just a little grease on the O-rings.

If you need new O-rings, just pm me and I will get them in the mail to you.

Mike D

s550_Arctic_Knight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack

There are 3 tiny screws that can be adjusted on the lockout mechanism that changes how the collar actually sits. When I first installed mine I had the same issue. Just play with those three screws until the lockout collar is centered around the shaft of the shifter. This involves removing the shift knob and pulling up the shift boot and surrounding.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

1. Make sure your shifter boot and dynamat is properly installed, if it is not we will hear driveline noise.

2. Make sure you did not push the O- rings out on installation, this is common when you do not center the lock out collar while pushing down when assembling. Use just a little grease on the O-rings.

Mike D
To be clear, the nvh is not bad at all. It is just more so than stock, which I would expect and have read others (in this thread) comment on as well.

The boot is installed correctly. I have 2 layers of dynamat around the shifter plus I applied it to the shifter itself (before install). I took a look an the o-rings are also on properly.

I was able to narrow down the 'squeak' I am hearing when pulling up on the collar to the steeda lockout collar. Issue is not with the plastic factory reverse unit.

When the boot is on and everything put back together the noise is less, but it is there. Has anyone else experienced this? It is seems as though the hole the lever fits through may be just a little too tight? I tried applying a bit of grease to the lever, but that did not do anything.

Here is a video of the noise.

[ame]

There are 3 tiny screws that can be adjusted on the lockout mechanism that changes how the collar actually sits. When I first installed mine I had the same issue. Just play with those three screws until the lockout collar is centered around the shaft of the shifter. This involves removing the shift knob and pulling up the shift boot and surrounding.
Thanks. I played with those and after a quick test drive the vibrations seem to have stopped. Will need to go on a bit longer of a trip before I will claim success though. :)

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I should add, that when I first got my car, there was all kinds of nvh coming from the shifter area. It went completely away after about 1000km of driving. Not sure if this disappearance of nvh is something everyone experiences.

The tri-ax is definitely quieter than what I was originally hearing with the stock shifter - so if folks are experincing nvh wiht the stock unit, then, yes, I could see the tri-ax being quieter. In my case, however, it got to the point where there was literally no nvh with stock unit.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

Mike D
Just sent you a pm about those o-rings. Looking into my squeaking problem I applied some lithium grease to the o-rings. Guess that was not such a good idea as chances are it will cause them to swell.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
How come there is no option to pick which spring we want? I ordered already and got a shipping notice. which spring will i get?

Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Cool! thx for the info.
Hopefully i wont run into any problems after the installation. My car is my daily and i really cant waste time going back and forth to the shop. I hear many members having small issues here and there but mostly positive reviews.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Cool! thx for the info.
Hopefully i wont run into any problems after the installation. My car is my daily and i really cant waste time going back and forth to the shop. I hear many members having small issues here and there but mostly positive reviews.
If you have any questions during the install ... don't hesitate to give us a call. We look forward to your install & review of the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter ... Steeda greatly appreciates your support.

Best Regards,

TJ

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Here is a video of the noise.

Thanks. I played with those and after a quick test drive the vibrations seem to have stopped. Will need to go on a bit longer of a trip before I will claim success though. :)
I have the Barton collar and I have the same noise. Only does it when manipulating the collar up & down. I consider that normal & not added noise.

The 3 set screws need to be snugged evenly on all 3 sides. Easiest way to adjust it is tap on the collar to isolate the noise and adjust the set screws accordingly. The only little bit of noise I ever had was when the shifter was brand new, @ WOT. Now I don't hear anything anymore.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I have the Barton collar and I have the same noise. Only does it when manipulating the collar up & down. I consider that normal & not added noise.

You are correct, that slight noise when moving the collar up and down is normal. Once the boot is on it even quieter.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm in the process of installing my new Tri-Ax. Thanks Steeda, looks great!!

Thought I'd throw a question in here.
I watched s550_Arctic_Knight video (great video, thanks for doing that) and thought I'd give it a try without disconnecting the driveshaft or exhaust. Getting that front 10mm bolt off the forward end of the link is a bugger. I disconnected the rear OEM shifter bushing bracket and pulled the bushing off the rear of the shifter. My problem is the rear of the transmission won't drop more than 1/2 - 3/4", so not much room in there to get a tool onto that 10mm bolt. I thought I'd try loosening the driveshaft center support bushing, but that doesn't seem to help make the tranny go down much. I can see the exhaust moving with the transmission. Half guessing it's the exhaust forcing the tranny to stay in line with the motor mounts?? Anyone, [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] or @s550_Arctic_Knight have a tip for me to get the transmission to go down anywhere near the 2-3" that it says it should? Let me guess disconnect the driveshaft and exhaust?? lol. Thanks!
Sponsored