Sponsored

Steeda S550 Pro-Action Front Coilovers With Adjustable Rear Ride Height Kit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Yes dampers are completely adjustable separate of ride height. Steeda provides a tool that allows you to adjust rebound. Rebound adjustment is located at the top of each damper. The front dampers may be adjusted with weight on the vehicle. Just open your hood and make adjustments at the strut mount. The rear is a little different and will require you to jack/lift which will then allow clearance in the wheel well. Just reach your arm in and make adjustments with the tool at the top of each rear damper.

Turning full clockwise baselines towards full soft settings. Turning counter clockwise will begin to stiffen the dampers to your liking. It is not a difficult process, although the tool can be awkward to use, in less than 15 minutes.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So you went 275 because of the weight of the blower mostly?

Steeda recommended 250 for me as someone who probably won't track the car.

How does it feel when you have to drive around norfolk and the bumpier areas?
Even 250 is pretty firm if you won't track it, but it's about as low as I would go given the rate of the rear springs.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Even 250 is pretty firm if you won't track it, but it's about as low as I would go given the rate of the rear springs.
I agree. The listed rear rate is 1000-1100. I'm really starting to like my setup daily as I put more miles on it. I currently have a total of 1000 miles driven with my new setup, but only about 250 miles or so after I adjusted my dampers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. The listed rear rate is 1000-1100. I'm really starting to like my setup daily as I put more miles on it. I currently have a total of 1000 miles driven with my new setup, but only about 250 miles or so after I adjusted my dampers.
Mine is not far off at 240/980. It's firm, but definitely not for everyone, especially if you have no track intentions. I'd be in the 170/800 ballpark for a better handling car but no track focus.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I'm waiting for a call back from Mike D. on my current spring rate specs and how they would compare to the Steeda coilovers. Had a nice talk with him on Friday.

Sponsored

livewire2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Typo. They actually recommended 225 for me considering she's a spirited road car when not stuck in traffic. Hopefully that will keep me happy while also not making the gf hate riding in it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Typo. They actually recommended 225 for me considering she's a spirited road car when not stuck in traffic. Hopefully that will keep me happy while also not making the gf hate riding in it.
Make sure you do the billet rear shock mounts otherwise it'll be a little rough out back with those springs. They add a lot of compliance to the rear of the car by letting the shocks work and articulate.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Make sure you do the billet rear shock mounts otherwise it'll be a little rough out back with those springs. They add a lot of compliance to the rear of the car by letting the shocks work and articulate.
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] It has been very interesting watching your approach in suspension choices. Thank you for your feedback and information provided in the forums.

In my very limited knowledge of suspension, I wonder if choosing the right ride height is appropriate to complement higher spring rates? I am heavily considering raising my ride height to equal a.750 drop on all four corners.

For example, BMR Handling Springs also have a high spring rate, yet very minimal drop in the rear. Same for your choice in the front with the 350R springs. Also, Steeda's dual rate Competition Springs have high rates but an even drop all the way around.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] It has been very interesting watching your approach in suspension choices. Thank you for your feedback and information provided in the forums.

In my very limited knowledge of suspension, I wonder if choosing the right ride height is appropriate to complement higher spring rates? I am heavily considering raising my ride height to equal a.750 drop on all four corners.

For example, BMR Handling Springs also have a high spring rate, yet very minimal drop in the rear. Same for your choice in the front with the 350R springs. Also, Steeda's dual rate Competition Springs have high rates but an even drop all the way around.
You have a PM coming, but the key is that there's a lot more at play from a vehicle kinematics perspective inherent to the geometry of the car than meets the eye. ;)

I would highly recommend not going significantly lower than 0.5" in the rear for this reason.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
You have a PM coming, but the key is that there's a lot more at play from a vehicle kinematics perspective inherent to the geometry of the car than meets the eye. ;)

I would highly recommend not going significantly lower than 0.5" in the rear for this reason.
I think I may understand, some of it, where you're coming from in regards to the dynamics of the rear suspension in relation to ride height.

For example, I have yet to measure the distance in the rear adjustable perch but if my guess is right, 5/8" should be close to my current drop at 1". To get to a 3/4" drop in the rear, I believe 3/8" would get me really close. Of note, Steeda states the rear ride height adjustability range is 3/4" to 1-1/2".

My goal is to share my findings when I try this out. Right now I'm really pleased with everything but I know some larger wheels and tires are in my future.

Sponsored

livewire2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Mine is not far off at 240/980. It's firm, but definitely not for everyone, especially if you have no track intentions. I'd be in the 170/800 ballpark for a better handling car but no track focus.
Would you say the rears are too firm for a street only car?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Would you say the rears are too firm for a street only car?
Yes I would not go this high if I had no intentions of tracking or autocrossing the car. It's definitely tolerable for daily use and not very harsh (thank you pro actions and billet shock mounts), but unnecessarily firm for street only, IMO.

If you really wanted or needed adjustable ride height I would strongly consider getting the adjustable Pro Action shocks and struts and Ground Control's spring and ride height adjuster kit:
http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=993/CA=296

From the rates, my feeling is that the full Steeda kit is definitely meant for someone with track intentions or spends a significant amount of time carving down back roads, who also uses the car daily/frequently and is willing to trade a little comfort for performance.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I will say based on what I've experienced driving so far, the ride is firm and you feel the road and all of its nuances. This does not mean that I am bouncing off the ceiling because the ride is so harsh. I quite enjoy knowing what my car is doing though and I will need this understanding when I start tracking it.

This suspension has given me more confidence that I didn't so much have with just lowering springs before. I will say though, a setup like this really requires a serious thought and understanding of what an individual wants to do with their car and if they are willing to sacrifice some of the comforts of a stock suspension.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I just wanted to post something real quick regarding the tool that comes with the kit to adjust damper settings. Adjusting the front is really a non-issue because you are looking at the tool as you turn it. However in the rear, I wanted something visually to look at for reference since you can't really see from above when turning, so I had an idea to laser etch the sides of the tool to reference one full turn and a half turn with simple markings.

Maybe @steeda can use as a suggestion for product improvement down the line or better yet, produce a nice billet knob to go with this snazzy looking suspension.
image1[477].JPG
image2[479].JPG
image3[481].JPG
Sponsored