Sponsored

Steeda Pro action vs Ford Performance Shock and Struts —Witch is Best and Why????

Blackhawk25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe S
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
thank you for your reply, it is appreciated. do you have any feed back on the steeda minimum drop springs fronts 200 rears 750
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Perf shocks will be a stiffer ride on the street as they're monotube. If you like a stiffer ride and are willing to risk having no adjustability to soften some of that out, they're a great option at a great price.

The Steeda shocks are twin tube, which is excellent for the street and will offer a more damped ride comparatively while still controlling the spring. I think the Steedas are the ticket.

If Bilstein could manufacture product and wasn't on some mysterious ridiculous backorder, maybe those would be worth trying but they can't seem to fulfill any orders.
It is false that all monotubes are a stiffer ride than twin tube. That's a nice marketing blurb, though. It also ignores the many benefits of a monotube design. Yes, because twin tubes have lower gas pressure, with everything else the same, they'll have a slightly more cushy ride. In this case, everything is not the same and the Ford Performance dampers do not have a stiff ride (chime in [MENTION=23614]SVT-DADDY[/MENTION], [MENTION=34621]udcvsean[/MENTION], others). Quite the contrary, actually. I've never had the adjustable Steeda dampers, only the fixed valve, so I'm missing that direct experience. I'd expect them to be very good, though, based on what SteedaTech has shared with me in the past.

Oh, I don't get anything for saying any of this. Just sharing experience.

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
I have pro-action adjustables on BMR SP089 & SP082 springs. I went this route because at the time Steeda didnt offer minimum drop springs. Anyway works very well, have tracked this setup, initially my HOD instructor thought I had coilovers.

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It is false that all monotubes are a stiffer ride than twin tube. That's a nice marketing blurb, though. It also ignores the many benefits of a monotube design. Yes, because twin tubes have lower gas pressure, with everything else the same, they'll have a slightly more cushy ride. In this case, everything is not the same and the Ford Performance dampers do not have a stiff ride (chime in [MENTION=23614]SVT-DADDY[/MENTION], [MENTION=34621]udcvsean[/MENTION], others). Quite the contrary, actually. I've never had the adjustable Steeda dampers, only the fixed valve, so I'm missing that direct experience. I'd expect them to be very good, though, based on what SteedaTech has shared with me in the past.

Can confirm, the FRPP track dampers are more comfortable to me than the stock ones. Reason being the ride is firm and predictable instead of floaty. The ride quality just feels a lot better now.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

Marketing blurb... hilarious. :lol:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can confirm, the FRPP track dampers are more comfortable to me than the stock ones. Reason being the ride is firm and predictable instead of floaty. The ride quality just feels a lot better now.
At least THIS is true. :clap2:

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

I'll just say this:
My buddy has Chrysler 300 sport, that I spent most of the morning in yesterday. He bought a '68 Caddy convertible but that's a story for another day.

When we got back into town we swapped cars to go to lunch as he hasn't been in my Mustang yet. I let him drive and he was amazed that the ride in my car was as good if not better than his 300.

I'd say that's pretty high praise for the ride quality of these dampers.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

:cheers:

I have learned to not get caught up as much in marketing. I fell prey to that early on in my suspension modding journey. I like to gather more information and then decide for myself. And also I don't advocate for products of just one company. Look at my signature below.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Please provide a source that has data that shows a well-tuned monotube is not comfortable for street use. I'll wait.

Also please read my above post again. I said that all else equal, a twin tube will be more comfortable, which is even consistent with the well-done (not sarcasm) marketing page by Tein. We don't have a direct comparison like that, though, for the options being discussed.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Please provide me data that shows a well-tuned monotube IS comfortable for street use. What is that data? Is that like a spreadsheet with numbers in it?

Whatever that data is, I'm sure Steeda has it already considering they considered mono-tube design and surely benchmarked the FP shocks which were already out (why wouldn't they?), decided to go with a twin tube design based on a Koni shell and develop their own valving, and then proceeded to prove them on their own race car (including enduro races that are far longer than 20 min HPDE sessions and would expose faults in twin-tube shocks due to heat) plus their street cars... and ensured their valving was appropriate for a wide range of spring types and rates and wouldn't jar teeth on the street. Really I think it's great they put forth the effort! At least they can be manufactured... the Bilsteins you recommend in your build log so often aren't able even shipping now and you don't have a set, but you have "people in the know" so... you feel comfortable recommending those. But if it's Steeda... of course not because you didn't like yours, I guess. Data...

Installed FP shocks in about 4 cars in the past 8 months, each with different springs, none were the FP springs. Each of those cars was better on the street than stock shocks, but my car with notably stiffer spring rates was more tolerable in street driving, and I have bearings and bracing. So I guess that's my data? Perhaps I'll write that up into a spreadsheet with some graphs. Of course a mono can be comfortable on the street, dude. My next set of dampers (coilovers) will be monotube and I'll expect them to be "tolerable" on the street if not "comfortable". The design philosophy behind a twin tube is to improve compliance beyond the capability of a mono -- all else equal, as you say. If you like your FP shocks, awesome. I've witnessed them both in numerous cars.

The Tein article is factual. Factual information can be... marketing. Rare, I know.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent work :lol::lol:. The Tein article is factual, albeit it does have some opinion in there too. Oh and I've mentioned Bilstein precisely two times in my build thread lol. You never disappoint for some laughs buddy.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Anybody run FP Track Struts with BMR SP080 springs? While the SP080 springs are really designed for the stock PP struts (with nearly identical spring rates), there are some times when I feel the damping of the PP struts is just "barely" adequate.

They do react reasonably well on more bumpy roads, but some times they feel a little too quick on smoother roads. Softer spring, higher damping rate = slower response, but PP struts seem to be barely able to handle the PP spring rates from the start. Just wondering how much higher the damping rate of FP Track Struts are over PP struts?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've driven a car with that combo. I think you'll like it. In fact, I installed the struts, haha.
Sponsored