Steeda clutch spring concern

omarpena86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang ecoboost
Hi guys so I just installed the steeda clutch spring, it definitely feels different but I have a small concern, so while trying to take out the stock spring, it was hard and needed some pressure to remove it like expected. Now that I have the steeda installed, the actual spring and perch is a little loose, not a lot but if I press the bottom side of the spring, I can move it back and forth but it comes back in place when I let go and it wasn’t solid and stiff like the stock spring where it didn’t move, now my concern is what if the spring and perch just pop out while I’m driving? It doesn’t move that much but it’s still moveable with my finger if I push it back, and it’s not flush with the rod that it attaches too on the bottom of the perch. Sorry if that was a weird explanation but that’s the best I can explain it lol and wanted to see if it was normal since it is only 35lb instead of the 185lb (I think) that the stock has so that’s the reason why the stock was so stuck in place that you needed to clamp the springs to get it off but with the new one, I could easily take it off with 1 finger from the bottom of the perch. Thanks
Sponsored

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
It should feel a bit easier to move but if it's THAT loose, I'd check to make sure it's seated and reinstalled correctly. I noticed it was much easier to put the Steeda spring in place and compress by hand, while I had to use channel locks to compress the stock monster. That being said, when I reinstalled the perch with the Steeda spring, I did not have a loose feeling perch like you describe.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Did you happen to break the cheap stock spring perch? They're very brittle. I had to replace mine with the sturdier Steeda unit.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
Did you happen to break the cheap stock spring perch? They're very brittle. I had to replace mine with the sturdier Steeda unit.
In my case, I reused the factory perch. Not sure if that was directed at me or not. Either way, I was able to install the Steeda spring without the slack OP is referring to.

OP
OP

omarpena86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang ecoboost
Im not sure if I broke it, doesn’t seem like it but I bought the steeda kit, that comes with the perch

Sponsored

OP
OP

omarpena86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang ecoboost
It should feel a bit easier to move but if it's THAT loose, I'd check to make sure it's seated and reinstalled correctly. I noticed it was much easier to put the Steeda spring in place and compress by hand, while I had to use channel locks to compress the stock monster. That being said, when I reinstalled the perch with the Steeda spring, I did not have a loose feeling perch like you describe.
I just reinstalled it, feels the same, i drove it around last night and I’m at work now but it doesn’t seem like it would come off so hopefully It stays that way, We’ll see

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
For what I've read, sounds like a spring in the middle of the stock one and the current Steeda would be the best solution to the 'problem', no? May I ask if the clutch pedal comes all the way up in both cases? I HATE when the clutch pedal doesn't solidly hit a stop at the highest position. I don't remember if the Vette was that way; I hated that. I like to know if I just touch the pedal, it's not wearing the throwout bearing in any way, which can happen if the pedal is all sloppy. I never 'ride' the clutch, but this is something I want to know in case the GT I will buy has some miles on it. You can damage a throwout bearing in short order. Thank you.

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
OP, sounds like something is off in your set up. I put the Steeda spring in mine with the factory perch and there's no play, just a better feel on the pedal. Been on a couple of years now and not had any issues.I see you've already tried reinstalling it, so it's difficult to think what the issue might be, but it deffo doesn't sound right....