Sponsored

Steeda Billet Mount Failure?

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Anyone else experience this? I’m on a 2,400 mile cross country trip and just disassembled my entire rear interior hunting this down. Having my wife in the trunk finally traced it to inside the wheel well. Everything looked good until I disassembled my top mount to find this.

My car sounds like a popcorn machine on anything but perfectly smooth roads.

I know they have a lifetime warranty so likely this can be replaced but shit this is horrible timing. I’m in the middle of nowhere New Mexico. Good thing I brought tools and a floor jack.

Anyone else seen failures of the bearing? The top nuts are torqued properly...

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Did you remove the small shock washer and replace it with the supplied larger washer from steeda ? Or did ya just insert it on top of the oe washer .

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Well, fuck. Literally just put these on. Hopefully it’s a fluke. Can you tell what actually happened?

I do know there needs to be some better form of protection for the top of the spherical bearing, there’s a lot of fine gravel flying around in there, hence why the OE mount has a plastic cap. There needs to be a cap that covers the whole thing and allows the bearing to articulate. The rubber caps they sell that just slip over the nut are a joke.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Mine make a popping/clunk noise when either corner gets unloaded, like when going over a curb at an angle. They're tight, so I know it might be the thing where the groove was just a little big. Mine don't do that (pictured in video) though. Steeda will help you out.

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
In the process of sorting this with Steeda now. It’s the weekend now so gonna have to drive on this a thousand more miles =(

Sponsored

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Did you remove the small shock washer and replace it with the supplied larger washer from steeda ? Or did ya just insert it on top of the oe washer .
It’s assembled correctly. If you look at the top when I move the camera up you can see that the internal assembly is static. It’s the bearing/bushing bits that are way too tolerant. I don’t even know how something like this is possible.

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Well, fuck. Literally just put these on. Hopefully it’s a fluke. Can you tell what actually happened?

I do know there needs to be some better form of protection for the top of the spherical bearing, there’s a lot of fine gravel flying around in there, hence why the OE mount has a plastic cap. There needs to be a cap that covers the whole thing and allows the bearing to articulate. The rubber caps they sell that just slip over the nut are a joke.
Agree that the rubber dust caps are pathetic lol. They grip on like a magnum condom on an earthworm.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
That appears to be the lower washer . Pull the shock dust boot down and examine the washer .

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
FYI this is what it sounds like driving down a decent road. This is a medium on the scale. On smooth roads it’s silent and on anything bumpy it sounds like this (expansion joints, etc) and then on more rough roads it’s straight up unbearable.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Is it just the one side? Might have just been a bad spherical bearing that failed. Very interested to hear their findings.

How long and how many miles have these been on the car?

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Is it just the one side? Might have just been a bad spherical bearing that failed. Very interested to hear their findings.

How long and how many miles have these been on the car?
We have sold thousands with no issues. We have never seen that much play in the assembly ever! Steeda will be transparent with its findings.

As always, Steeda stands behind their products.

Thank you,

Steeda Tech

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Steeda makes quality products and stands behind their products with great customer service. You can't expect to NEVER have a failure of a product. Its how a manufacturer stands behind their product when there is an issue that sets the better companies apart. I would expect that Steeda will do the right thing.
Sponsored