Sponsored

Starting the twin install...

Kryckter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So, I have gotten all of the parts from Hellion and companies. Hellion has been great to deal with. Jeff has been top notch and really helped to make sure I get all the parts to do the install myself on this holiday weekend.

These are the "quick spool" 55's and I opted for the larger 95lb injectors and boost-a-pump. I am shooting for about 700rwhp on pump gas...

Here is a few pics along the way. I am at the end of day 7 and nearing about 35 hours in the install so far. Mostly working on it by myself with some help and taking my time...

Here are some of the goodies...

Tubing and parts laid out...

DAY 1
Car is up and ready to go...

Driver side manifold out - Not too hard to get removed

New (11-14) manifold in - Some bolts are a little tough to get to, but easier than I was expecting.

Some of the heat wrapping, this was a chore. Tight places, tedious work...

DAY 2

Starting by tapping the oil pan, easy!

Some more wrapping - New radiator hose as well...

Bumper off - Intercooler in!

Real progress now - 1st turbo in!

And even better - 2nd one mounted!

And that is all for day 2. It doesn't look like much for this day, but it was a lot of routing and checking, and also a lot more heat wrapping. I also spent a good amount of time figuring out some of the piping to make sure I had the turbos oriented correctly, which the instructions don't really show well. The instructions aren't the most detailed in certain areas however overall the instructions are good, they are 85 pages with color photos which is very nice. After the turbos were mounted I still spent which I felt was too long messing with the drain lines and feed lines. Lengths, routing, etc was not clear in the instructions and I left it unfinished at the end of day 2.

To start tomorrow, I need to finish up some of the drain and feed lines then it is on to the piping! I will keep updating as I go...

DAY 3

I wasn't planning on working on it much today, but ending up working about 5 hours or so. A lot more routing wires, wrapping items, re-routing items and a little bit of piping accomplished today.

I started the day learning how to wrap exhaust pipe...

I then spent a LONG time learning that I had routed the oil cooler lines in the wrong place and it was preventing the driver side piping from the manifold to turbo to fit in. Figured it out, and got both the driver and passenger side from the manifold to the turbo installed...

I then started the downpipe, and got the pipes routed back the manifold area...

I left it there for the end of the day. Tomorrow starts with the wastegates and finishing up the exhaust side. After that I believe it is intercooler piping, etc.

DAY 4

While I thought today would be a quick finish up the exhaust side and then move onto other things... That didn't happen so much and I only worked on it for about 4-5 hours so I didn't get near as far as I wanted.

Started with the wastgates. They look fantastic, but are a little bit of a pain to get put in...

I then put all of the exhaust on, completing it back to my Ford Racing cutback. Then it was on to tightening. This proved to be fun. The piping fits perfectly, very precise. I have had x-pipes and cutbacks that don't fit with this precision. However, there is a lot of parts and adjustments. Mainly, I spent a lot of time making sure the turbo pipes for the up-pipe and down-pipe fit perfectly on the turbo. They have a little lip that has to sit in otherwise it won't work. Most the other tubes can be off a fraction and the v-band clamp will fix it.

I then moved onto the intercooler piping only to quickly find out the turbos weren't aligned exactly. No big, a little rotating and we should be good to go. WRONG! I am now having issues with the driver side drain for the turbo. Long story short, I ran out of time re-routing the drain and thats where I left off. Not near as much done as I wanted but still progress. I have a heavy work load this week so I will only get a couple hours a night....

DAY 5

I started off today getting some hose to try and redo the oil drain for the driver side. I did find that I could route it forwards off of the turbo and around the radiator hose for a good drain that has a nice downward slope the entire way. Then it was to the intercooler piping! This first photo you can see the new forward route for the drain, doesn't look the best but the pipe going to the throttle body will cover it. I also got the blow off valves installed! Passenger side was kind of interesting to get to.

I then started the routing of the vacuum lines, first I installed all of the T's and plumbed up the blow off valves with even length line. Then I ended the night by routing the wastgate vacuum lines and heat wrapping them.

I got a little more done tonight than I thought I would. Had about 4 hours to work on it. Looking at the instructions, I am nearing the end. Coolant tank tomorrow, breathers (I am choosing to do a catch can setup), fan wiring and then on to the injectors and boost-a-pump.

That parts pile is getting small....

DAY 6

I didn't get to spend much time on it today, just 2-3 hours. I did make some progress and it is getting very close. First off, the coolant overflow relocated

You can't really see them, but I got the NGK Iridium spark plugs gapped at .028" and in there. The new 95 lb. injectors are installed as well. Add the fancy blue valve covers and turbo blankets and we are getting very close under the hood...

Main problem for the day. I got the fan wired in and installed into their shroud. I set it in, its about 1/2" away from the radiator. The instructions say to bend the tabs to get the shroud to sit on the radiator or as close as you can. I go to bend the first tab, in my vice and with some locks and with about 5lb of force the weld snaps. I thought this was a bad weld so I try to move on with the others and it happens to the second as well. They are snapping right at the welds. Possibly my fault, but I don't know how to properly hold the tab and do the bends. Seems like this should have already been bent. Going to get them bent and re-welded tomorrow hopefully.

To leave with some good news, I got some awesome parts in today! New drag radials on the right...

I don't know if I will get to work on it any tomorrow. But really I only have the fan, upper radiator hose and boost-a-pump left. Then re-check everything and top of the fluids and see what happens. Current plan is to fire it up on Thursday!

DAY 7

Started off today getting the radiator shroud fixed. Also talked with Hellion and they are sending a replacement out that is pre-bent. Top notch support again! Then I got some tires mounted...

After that, I started messing with finishing up the radiator hoses, fans, etc. Didn't take long...

I finished everything up and uploaded the tune!

Last but not least... Started right up!

I still have a bit of work left... But its up and running. Starts right up, idles fine, revs smooth! Best of all, NO LEAKS! I can't wait to get it on the road to report more. Tomorrow I am going to try and finish it all up. Zip tie anything left hanging, make sure all the routes are good, wire in the boost-a-pump, front bumper, radiator cover, etc.

I'll have some vids soon!!!

DAY 8

Finished up alot of the small items and got the car finished. Here is an image of the catch can setup.

The car is on the ground and driving!!!

FIRST VID - Canned BBR Tune (10.5 AFR and about 14 degrees of timing @ 6 lbs of boost)
[ame]

NEW VID - This is the 3rd or 4th tune from BBR. Great team to work with! Still on 6 lbs. but feeling so much faster!
[ame]

COUPLE WEEKS LATER - DYNO DAY

Low boost (5.5lbs) it made 533rwhp / 522rwtq
High boost (10lbs) it made 655rwhp / 643rwtq

I think in the end, I'm going to settle for 7ish lbs. of boost (550-575rwhp) for my everyday setting on 91 octane. Then throw a can of torco in and turn it up to 10/11 lbs and HAVE FUN!!!

FEW MORE WEEKS LATER - 11lbs

I have been still working with the guys at BBR on some tune updates. They are really getting the tranny dialed in! I have it set to 11lbs or so, should be making close to 700rwhp on this setting.

[ame]

Track times to come soon!

WEEK OR SO LATER - STILL 11lbs

Finally took it out to the track. I thought we were going to have better air but it started out around 6500ft. DA and finished at 5800ft. The kit is on pump gas with some torco and seeing about 11lbs of boost. It's real tough to launch with the stock converter and tall tires (305/35/20)...

Using a calculator to convert to closer to sea level brings that some where near low 10's trapping high 130's. Not bad for stock motor, tranny and half shafts...

ANOTHER WEEK OR SO
I feel the pump gas tune is about as good as its going to get. Its probably making about 675rwhp or so on 11lbs. With the pump gas available to me this is all we can get. So everyone knows what that means.... E85!!!

Beefcake hooked me up!!! I got a complete Fore Innovations 3 pump setup on the way to me. Along with the E85 switch I am changing out the thermostat to a cooler one, changing out the catback to a full 3" magna flow street setup and putting in a DSS carbon driveshaft...

I can't wait to get all the fuel parts and get them installed!

Mental note if you are doing a twin turbo setup and thermostat, please change the thermostat while doing the install. Its ALOT of work after the kit is on.

New exhaust! 3" all the way back!!!

JUST A FEW DAYS LATER - E85 TIME!!!
I started the E85 conversion and got a Fore Innovations Stage 4 Triple pump setup. I went to Beefcake for the setup and they got me an incredible deal and had it to me in just a few days!

First, some triple pump glory!!!

Then, got the old pump out and the new ones installed...

Started building and running the fuel lines...

Found a great place to tuck the Y-block for the feed in the driver fender well...

Motor shot, I still need to trim the cover to fit back on.

Regulator mounted on the driver strut tower

A little bit of advertising:cheers:

Some trimming to get the 5.0 cover back on

It just leaves the electrical for tomorrow which shouldn't take too long at all. Drain the pump gas out and pour some E85 and do some leak testing... I can't wait!

NEXT NIGHT
I did make some progress tonight...

Not much to see since it was mostly electrical. Here is the controller mounted.

Got the new base E85 tune loaded, car started, leak tested and driving!

Such a weird AFR

I did some logging last night and will be working with the tuner today getting it a little closer to dialed in.

More parts are showing up...

And finally the driveshaft is in... Time to get the tune dialed in on E85!

I hope to get the tune dialed in within the next week and then hit the dyno within a week or two :headbang:

A FEW WEEKS LATER

It is finally dialed in on E85 and I took it to the dyno.

[ame]

Updated track times will be coming in a few weeks...
Sponsored

Last edited:

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Good luck! My Z06 looks like the spacecraft underneath. One of the reasons why I bought a Procharger.

TwinTurboMustang.net

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Great Job! Looking good. 700whp is almost in reach.

Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
:headbang:

Nice man, very jealous

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Holy guacamole! Having owned a 3.5 exoboost for 3 years I have a new found love for turbos. How is it possible a twin turbo 5.0 will only put down 700rwhp? Man it seams weird now a days to say only 700 lol. I'm assuming it's in the tune and with certain sized pulleys but I would think you'll be putting 700 rwhp to each rear wheel lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Holy guacamole! Having owned a 3.5 exoboost for 3 years I have a new found love for turbos. How is it possible a twin turbo 5.0 will only put down 700rwhp? Man it seams weird now a days to say only 700 lol. I'm assuming it's in the tune and with certain sized pulleys but I would think you'll be putting 700 rwhp to each rear wheel lol

Not pullied. It is controlled by a wastegate(s). Either by a spring loaded valve or a electronic boost controlled diaphram.

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
See, that's how much I know about turbos!

Oh and feel free to follow all my posts as my type checker lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kryckter

Kryckter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Updated with Day 3 progress. Finally started getting some piping in there! A lot more heat wrapping, routing wires and re-routing wires today as well. About 20 hours in, I think I'm half done...

5.0 Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
More pics please! What's the target date for completion?

OP
OP
Kryckter

Kryckter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
More pics please! What's the target date for completion?
I will keep updating with more pics as I progress. I am hoping to have the turbo kit done within the next few days. I only get a few hours today and then a couple hours during the week in the evening to work on it. I am also waiting on a tune to get it fired up. I hope to be up and running this week, the sooner the better! :headbang:

John S.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
What supports the turbos hanging off the front of the engine? Is there a bracket or just the manifolds holding them up?
Sponsored