Sponsored

Start up oil pressure 100 psi?? 80 to 100 psi cruising?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Oil PSI will change or "peg" based on multiple conditions.

High oil psi upon initial startup is normal in every vehicle. The oil viscosity is thicker due to it sitting and dependent upon exterior seasonal temps (whether in a a garage or not). The colder the engine block, the thicker the oil will be, then as it warms up viscosity changes (thins out).

Oil PSI in ANY engine is always dependent upon operating temps, oil viscosity and RPM.

The oil psi specs below is for a bone stock S550 Coyote 5.0 right from Ford:
0870b-b698-4bc5-8cdc-94d6fe7d9483-jpeg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

That PSI info is also based upon the standard recommended oil for the 5.0 Coyote.

—-
Here was an older thread regarding oil psi:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-mustang-gt-15-psi-oil-pressure-normal.109015/

IMO, Ford should have designed the oil psi gauge with better increments.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Both mine have done that. Pegs out on startup then goes into bypass. When running say 70, its up there pretty high. A lot of stuff is driven off the oil with this motor. I run Mobil 1 5w-30, and don't do crazy shit (3krpm max) until cyl heads are warm.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
One more tid bit to add - as the engine internals wear, oil psi may also change.... 😁

Brand spanking new vehicle = extremely tight tolerances/clearances. Come back in 100k+ miles (especially hard miles) and those tolerances/clearances will have opened up based on wear/tear...

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Seems a little high but the gages are probably not deadly accurate. Here is mine with 6000 miles showing almost 80 psi at 5000 rpm with 5W-30 on a hot day (and being driven hard if you couldn't guess). ;)

daytona_2.jpg

Helsinki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Grabber Blue Metallic
I was about to make a post about this.

Today I started paying attention at the oil pressure gauge and I noticed my car ('22 M1 w/ now 4,500 miles) when cold and at any speeds, will reach 100 psi at anything close to or above 2K RPM. I did the first oil change recently, and the behavior is the same as when it had the factory oil.

When the engine reaches operating temperatures, it doesn't come anything close to 100 psi when cruising.

I live in Florida. Today's temperature is 90F. Car has manufacturer's suggested Motorcraft 5w-30 Synthetic Blend.

Should I just ignore the oil pressure gauge when the car is relatively cold, and just baby it until the engine reaches optimal operating temperature?

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Should I just ignore the oil pressure gauge when the car is relatively cold, and just baby it until the engine reaches optimal operating temperature?
You shouldn't be beating on the engine until the oil temp is in the green.

That's........the most basic thing to know.

Helsinki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Grabber Blue Metallic
You shouldn't be beating on the engine until the oil temp is in the green.

That's........the most basic thing to know.
Of course. I don't beat the engine when it is still warming up.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The cars have some unique characteristics, the high oil pressure reading on start being one. I watch and observe that the same pattern continues. I expect on start the pressure will peg the gauge. If I were to start and it be anything less, I'd be concerned.

I drive the car modestly the first ten minutes or so it takes to heat up, sometimes longer, so as to allow temperatures to come up throughout the drivetrain.
Sponsored