Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I stated some months ago that I wanted to make a comparison between the complete kits of Whipple stage 1 with the supplied Whipple stage 1 tune compared to the Procharger Stage 1 with Procharger's supplied tune. Here is my review so far.

The Whipple setup was on my 2019 Bullitt and the Procharger setup is on my 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed auto. Both cars otherwise stock. The kits were within $100 of each other, so I though it was a goo comparison. I know aftermarket tunes might help, but this is "stock vs stock".

Whipple: Tune spot on. Lower torque. Since it is a manual trans, no opinion on shifting. Started and ran excellent. Intake air temps were only 30-40 F higher than the outside temp. 676 RWHP at 7,800 RPM SAE.

Procharger install was 1/2 the time of the Whipple. Car started and drove like stock except for WOT. In that case, the car acts very weird and lets off at the shift which is very irritating. In higher speeds, the downshift and high rpm shift is good sometimes, but other times the car will stay at a lower RPM like it isn't getting enough throttle. Very weird. I emailed Procharger and they told me to datalog. I asked what PIDs they needed and they told me to look online. In the past tuners told me the PIDs or sent me an email with a file that I attached the datallog to.

The power at 6.50 PSI is not close to the power of the Whipple. The acceleration is smooth and very linear. Intake temps are high in my opinion, about 90F higher than ambient temps.

The quality of the parts are good from both with fairly good install instructions. However the Whipple kit comes with pre-made hoses with OEM style ends and attachments. Since it requires wiring for the intercooler, etc, it is very complete with OEM style snap/click style parts. The Procharger has hoses you cut and I probably used 15 worm style clamps. They work, but more crude.

Summary so far: I like the linear power of the Procharger. I liked the torque of the Whipple, but the Whipple also had it on the upper end. I know some folks will say: "we told you to get the stage 2 kit". I wanted a fair comparison on entry level kits. Perhaps after datalogging the Procharger and a tune revision will change my mind. Still struggling to understand the higher IATs, though.
Both are great units and both are direct bolt on & go if you get a complete kit. Of course custom tuning and a upgraded fuel system will for sure be a night and day difference. I prefer the ease of installation of a centrifugal blower but I love the roots style and numbers a whipple makes. We sell both here at www.lethalperformance.com. Please give us a call if you have anymore questions or would like to place an order. tel:1.561.753.8105
Sponsored

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Thanks for the update. We love working through issues with customers to make sure they are happy. :)
Does charter still cover power train for warranty of your complete kits? Btw ive loved my F1A-94 on 12rib, from the day I stepped back from an F2 cog on my other car....zero issues....

Ken F. Williams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT # K0750 / Harley Davidson V-Rod / Lincoln MKX
Both are great units and both are direct bolt on & go if you get a complete kit. Of course custom tuning and a upgraded fuel system will for sure be a night and day difference. I prefer the ease of installation of a centrifugal blower but I love the roots style and numbers a whipple makes. We sell both here at www.lethalperformance.com. Please give us a call if you have anymore questions or would like to place an order. tel:1.561.753.8105
In August 2020 I had a Whipple Stage 2 installed on my 2019 BULLITT by Dale Adams Auto a Shelby certified shop in Calgary, AB. The people at Dale Adams are great and they did a fast and fine job of it. The Good News: the power 825 HP is unreal. Immediate acceleration and endless power!!! The Bad News: #1 a super hyper sensitive gas pedal #2 excessive and constant ear piercing backfire on down shifting and deceleration!!! This sound is unbearable, the car is almost undrivable and I have been warned three times by the police that they will impound my car if I don't get it fixed. # 3 the ever so nice boys at Whipple helped some with the accelerator problem with a chip reprogram but that only helped 80%, there has been no solution to the excessive backfire problem : (( In retrospect I wish that I had not added a supercharger to my BULLITT.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
In August 2020 I had a Whipple Stage 2 installed on my 2019 BULLITT by Dale Adams Auto a Shelby certified shop in Calgary, AB. The people at Dale Adams are great and they did a fast and fine job of it. The Good News: the power 825 HP is unreal. Immediate acceleration and endless power!!! The Bad News: #1 a super hyper sensitive gas pedal #2 excessive and constant ear piercing backfire on down shifting and deceleration!!! This sound is unbearable, the car is almost undrivable and I have been warned three times by the police that they will impound my car if I don't get it fixed. # 3 the ever so nice boys at Whipple helped some with the accelerator problem with a chip reprogram but that only helped 80%, there has been no solution to the excessive backfire problem : (( In retrospect I wish that I had not added a supercharger to my BULLITT.
That stinks!

I’m assuming you’re still on the Whipple tune if they’ve done work on the throttle pedal response.

I’m surprised they haven’t managed to reign in the down shift backfires. That’s a tune thing.

If you are running a custom tune, it should be easy enough to tune out. Just for giggles,I’m not positive if the 19’s are different, try the car in rain / snow mode and see if that changes the pedal sensitivity.

Good luck!!

Kenardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Parnelli Jones Boss 302
That stinks!

I’m assuming you’re still on the Whipple tune if they’ve done work on the throttle pedal response.

I’m surprised they haven’t managed to reign in the down shift backfires. That’s a tune thing.

If you are running a custom tune, it should be easy enough to tune out. Just for giggles,I’m not positive if the 19’s are different, try the car in rain / snow mode and see if that changes the pedal sensitivity.

Good luck!!
Sorry but I do not understand what you mean by, " still on the Whipple tune" ???
Dale Adams Auto and Whipple are not responding to my problems
The accelerator and backfire problem are in all settings from Normal to Snow mode.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Who tuned your car?

try snow mode for the throttle pedal sensitivity.

Tune needs to add fuel on decel to reduce the popping. Cats or no cats?

Kenardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who tuned your car?

try snow mode for the throttle pedal sensitivity.

Tune needs to add fuel on decel to reduce the popping. Cats or no cats?
The Whipple Stage 2 Supercharger was installed and tuned by Dale Adams Auto in Calgary.
Snow mode makes no different to the pedal sensitivity!
I agree, fuel needs to be added during decel to reduce the severe backfire popping but Whipple does not want to do that!!!

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
This sounds like an issue for Dale Adams look after, if they tuned the car. Did they do a custom tune or just load Whipple’s tune? If custom, they’re the ones that can alter fueling. Usually snow mode reduces throttle response and lowers shift rpm and pressure.

Good luck!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The Whipple Stage 2 Supercharger was installed and tuned by Dale Adams Auto in Calgary.
Snow mode makes no different to the pedal sensitivity!
I agree, fuel needs to be added during decel to reduce the severe backfire popping but Whipple does not want to do that!!!
If it was tuned by Dale then why are you asking Whipple to modify the tune?

FYI, in DFCO mode the fuel is shut off completely and there is no backfire. The stock PCM even has a feature called “burble mode” to cause the backfires intentionally.

Kenardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it was tuned by Dale then why are you asking Whipple to modify the tune?

FYI, in DFCO mode the fuel is shut off completely and there is no backfire. The stock PCM even has a feature called “burble mode” to cause the backfires intentionally.
I am asking Whipple because that's who Dale is going to!!!

As to your second point, I have no idea what your talking about care to call me to explain?

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I am asking Whipple because that's who Dale is going to!!!
I’m still confused about this. The instant someone else “tunes” your Whipple supercharged car, Whipple is no longer responsible for supporting the tuning

As to your second point, I have no idea what your talking about care to call me to explain?
During deceleration the car can either enter DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) or Burble Mode, which causes the backfires. The car did both of these stock, but aftermarket exhaust amplifies the burble. The tuner can’t adjust when and how long either of these take place.

Kenardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m still confused about this. The instant someone else “tunes” your Whipple supercharged car, Whipple is no longer responsible for supporting the tuning

During deceleration the car can either enter DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) or Burble Mode, which causes the backfires. The car did both of these stock, but aftermarket exhaust amplifies the burble. The tuner can’t adjust when and how long either of these take place.
FYI, there has been no change on the exhaust. Just added the supercharger.
When contacted directly Whipple said that they would gladly address the problems.
I am in Vancouver, Dale Adams is in Calgary.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Perhaps you can suggest one ?!
I can TEACH you how to find one.

1A. Find the Search tool.
1B. Type in your query

1.jpg

2. Pick the most relevant thread (tons of info out there, Might take a while).

2.jpg

Good luck! :like:
Sponsored