Sponsored

Square Trofeo Setup - Best size/fitment on stock Alignment/Susp.

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R #KR666, 2023 Bronco Sasquatch
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these tires on stock suspension/alignment settings, with a square 19x11" wheel setup with something around 55-60 ish offset in the rear and 40-45ish in the front. I would like to run a square setup mostly just for the ability to rotate tires on a regular basis. This would be a dedicated track set and not used on the street, with the exception of driving on them to the track.

The Trofeo R only come in select sizes; the 305/30/19s are what I'm currently eyeing. They measure 320mm wide. There's also a 285/35/19 that runs 290mm wide. The 305/30/19 are much more similar in terms of diameter compared to the stock tire size, but 320mm may be too wide for the front on stock camber.

I'm pretty seasoned when it comes to tracking/competition however this car is totally new to me. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I know there are other great tires out there but I've used Trofeo R's for years and I'm accustomed to them :)
Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Hey
I bought some trofeo R last year because a closeout.
Never used them still. However i can tell you that the side wall is extremely soft. You can literally squeeze it with your finger.
According to a friend with 350 he hates them. Sidewall so soft in an heavy car like ours could in theory make the driving not precise.
I found out the best tires for performance are the goodyear 3R. 305 squared.
They last 3-4 days. If rotated.

Another great tire is the A052 yokohama but they come only in 18". They are fast and wear very well (8trackdays minimum)

Attached my post with my experience with the tires
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/the-tire-thread-tires-info.15622/

Hope this help
Alessandro
20200708_175822.jpg
IMG_20200612_140257_869.jpg

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The Trofeo is a very pricey tire for the performance on this heavy beast. Specific reason you're looking at it? Getting a deal?

In regards to a square setup, you want a 19x11 with an et 52 offset (might be 50). You'll need to run a big spacer (25-31mm) up front on extended lugs to do it. But this will give you a truly rotatable setup that works well. This is what I do and it works out great.

Do you have wheels picked out already? Signature Wheels make a lot of track setups for the GT350 and its hard to beat the value for the money.

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
Hey
I bought some trofeo R last year because a closeout.
Never used them still. However i can tell you that the side wall is extremely soft. You can literally squeeze it with your finger.
According to a friend with 350 he hates them. Sidewall so soft in an heavy car like ours could in theory make the driving not precise.
I found out the best tires for performance are the goodyear 3R. 305 squared.
They last 3-4 days. If rotated.

Another great tire is the A052 yokohama but they come only in 18". They are fast and wear very well (8trackdays minimum)

Attached my post with my experience with the tires
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/the-tire-thread-tires-info.15622/

Hope this help
Alessandro
20200708_175822.jpg
IMG_20200612_140257_869.jpg
Thanks for the reply. I agree they're soft. I'm used to them on a small FWD track car, however there's a local race series that is sponsored by a local tire shop that gets preferred pricing by Pirelli. So I can usually get a very good deal on them. I'm friends with the owner of the shop so that's why I've always just used them. Good point with the car though, my previous car was 3100lbs. These are around 3700 correct?

I looked at the A052 but would like to stick to 19" if possible. I'll check out the 3R too, thanks :)

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
The Trofeo is a very pricey tire for the performance on this heavy beast. Specific reason you're looking at it? Getting a deal?

In regards to a square setup, you want a 19x11 with an et 52 offset (might be 50). You'll need to run a big spacer (25-31mm) up front on extended lugs to do it. But this will give you a truly rotatable setup that works well. This is what I do and it works out great.

Do you have wheels picked out already? Signature Wheels make a lot of track setups for the GT350 and its hard to beat the value for the money.
Getting a deal - correct. Although I can usually get a great deal on tires period... So I guess I don't have to commit to Trofeos.

Any recco's on spacers? Those things give me anxiety, especially the big ones. I will check out Signature wheels, budget isn't unlimited haha but I'll spend a good amount for a safe, reliable long lasting rotatable setup.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
In terms of alignment without adding any hardware - what kind of flexibility can I expect here? Not really interested in getting plates since we'll still be enjoying this car on the road quite a bit...

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Getting a deal - correct. Although I can usually get a great deal on tires period... So I guess I don't have to commit to Trofeos.

Any recco's on spacers? Those things give me anxiety, especially the big ones. I will check out Signature wheels, budget isn't unlimited haha but I'll spend a good amount for a safe, reliable long lasting rotatable setup.
We all use spacers in mustang community
Best are at
Opmustang.com
You can also find longer studs and open lug nuts.

3R are the tires zl1 1le mounts.
305mm are cheaper than trofeo R and I suspect faster.

By the way
You may want to check
Trackmustangsonline.com for track oriented questions :)

Honeybadger is one of the most expert guy for 350 so you definetely in good hands :)
Agreed with him
SIGNATURE WHEELS ARE TOP performance wheels.
Another alternative are APEX wheels.
Both could be a great choice for you.

Alex

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Check out OP Mustang. Tim has good parts and is a race supplier for Mustangs. The 4in extended lugs from MSI in the FP wheel hubs are excellent. I run those with a 31 mm spacer. I have over 15k track miles on my car without issues. I would absolutely trust them.

https://www.opmustang.com/store/c31/SUSPENSION_COMPONENTS.html#/

I run two sets of rotatable Signature Wheels and have been very happy. And I'm definitely not shy of kerbs or some offroading
IMG_6388.jpg

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Our cars love camber. That is a fact :)

3850lbs of beauty require camber to use full potential.
-3 front Camber doesn't really compromise street pleasure.
A great plate is the VORSHLAG one
Excellent piece.
I would consider it. If still street car just be more conservative with the Toe. And you will be OK imo.
:)

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
Check out OP Mustang. Tim has good parts and is a race supplier for Mustangs. The 4in extended lugs from MSI in the FP wheel hubs are excellent. I run those with a 31 mm spacer. I have over 15k track miles on my car without issues. I would absolutely trust them.

https://www.opmustang.com/store/c31/SUSPENSION_COMPONENTS.html#/

I run two sets of rotatable Signature Wheels and have been very happy. And I'm definitely not shy of kerbs or some offroading
IMG_6388.jpg
Sweet. That's reassuring, thank you. I know of a supplier for Signature so I'll give them a call this afternoon.

To be honest, I was hoping to keep the car as stock as possible. I'd be fine with the longer studs+spacers at the end of the day. I used to be so into building great track cars but I kind of want to "preserve" this thing a little more and just make it an easier car to take to the track and drive home. Have many had luck with just the factory SC2s with stock alignment? Driving at 8-9/10ths on the track.

It's between full blown dedicated square track setup with better tires, studs, spacers, driving 11/10ths etc... Or just throwing SC2s on there in the factory size, driving to the track as-is at 8-9/10ths and home after.

Sponsored
OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
Our cars love camber. That is a fact :)

3850lbs of beauty require camber to use full potential.
-3 front Camber doesn't really compromise street pleasure.
A great plate is the VORSHLAG one
Excellent piece.
I would consider it. If still street car just be more conservative with the Toe. And you will be OK imo.
:)
What sort of camber can I get with the stock suspension? Just curious

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sweet. That's reassuring, thank you. I know of a supplier for Signature so I'll give them a call this afternoon.

To be honest, I was hoping to keep the car as stock as possible. I'd be fine with the longer studs+spacers at the end of the day. I used to be so into building great track cars but I kind of want to "preserve" this thing a little more and just make it an easier car to take to the track and drive home. Have many had luck with just the factory SC2s with stock alignment? Driving at 8-9/10ths on the track.

It's between full blown dedicated square track setup with better tires, studs, spacers, driving 11/10ths etc... Or just throwing SC2s on there in the factory size, driving to the track as-is at 8-9/10ths and home after.
With the factory magneride and stock aero, there's no reason that a square rotatable track setup will feel any different on the street. As Alle said, as long as you don't had a ton toe, the camber won't hurt anything.

You won't even notice the setup on the street.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
With the factory magneride and stock aero, there's no reason that a square rotatable track setup will feel any different on the street. As Alle said, as long as you don't had a ton toe, the camber won't hurt anything.

You won't even notice the setup on the street.
Cool. If that's the case, I'll run out these Pilot SS that are on the car now and replace with an entirely new square wheel/tire combo with some camber plates. I'll put some decent tires on the factory wheels and swap the square setup out for any road trips. Solid!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I do have some input for you. I ran a raft of track days last year on a set of Trofeo R's. If I needed tires right now, I'd buy another set in a heartbeat, but I already have three sets of new track tires on hand, so I'm giving the sale a pass at this time.

The set I ran was 285/35x19 front and 325/30x19 rear on OEM GT350 10.5/11.0 rims. This setup equalized the turns per mile. Mounting required nothing special up front, although because of the width I needed a 7mm spacer at the rear to keep the rear tire from touching the upper shock mount.

Dimensions were interesting - the 285/35 has the same usable tread width (measured as the actual rubber face not including the tread grooves across the worn area on the face of the tread) as a Michelin MPSC2 305. Section width on the 10.5 rim was the same as the 305 as well. Basically, the 285/35x19 is actually a 305/32.7x19 based on the measurements. The 325's were also wider than spec, although if I had it to do over, I wouldn't bother with them.

From a driving perspective, there was no tramlining at all. NONE. For that alone, they're worth it. As for grip, they're up there with the MPSC2's, according to my lapping data. As for wear and heat cycles, they're excellent - they took about 50% more heat cycles than the MPSC2 and wear was great too.

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't hesitate to run 285/35x19's all around on the factory rims.
Sponsored