Sponsored

Spring spacer install?

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
I want to put the thicker steeda spring spacer on the rear of my car. I had thr speings done at a shop. How easy are the spring spacers to install? Is there a howto anywhere?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I want to put the thicker steeda spring spacer on the rear of my car. I had thr speings done at a shop. How easy are the spring spacers to install? Is there a howto anywhere?
You have to either drop the subframe or remove all the outer control arm joint bolts and links so the arm can swing down. I would undo all the bolts rather than drop the subframe, myself, unless you have it centered with the pins already.

You're aware that the car will be raised up double the thickness of the spacer, yes?

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Basically it's the same procedure to install the rear springs. It's doable at home, but I did it in my friend's shop. It's way easier with a lift and you'll need alignment afterwards anyways.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
You have to either drop the subframe or remove all the outer control arm joint bolts and links so the arm can swing down. I would undo all the bolts rather than drop the subframe, myself, unless you have it centered with the pins already.

You're aware that the car will be raised up double the thickness of the spacer, yes?
I did drop the whole LCA for the bearing...but I believe if you unfasten the outer LCA, you'll still need to at least loosen the subframe for clearance (tiny bit on the far side, more than halfway on the near side).

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Lower the sub-frame one side at a time, make sure you un bolt the rear brake line attachment bracket. Yes, you will need an alignment because of the ride height change.

pm your contact info, if you need further info.

Thanks,

Mike D

Sponsored

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Yes im aware it will raise it. I have the older version springs with the 1/4"spacer but ass still sit very low. Thinking of putting the 3/8" in

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Has anyone else experienced squeaking in the rear since installing these spacers? I have BMR Handling springs, and since installing the 1/4" spacers the rear end subtly squeaks and it's really noticeable at slow speeds like in parking lots. I've triple checked how the springs are seated, and all else looks fine... I really don't want to drop the rear again just to pull these out and start troubleshooting if someone has an easy answer :)

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Has anyone else experienced squeaking in the rear since installing these spacers? I have BMR Handling springs, and since installing the 1/4" spacers the rear end subtly squeaks and it's really noticeable at slow speeds like in parking lots. I've triple checked how the springs are seated, and all else looks fine... I really don't want to drop the rear again just to pull these out and start troubleshooting if someone has an easy answer :)
No reported noise from Steeda customers of squeaking or on our development cars.
What else has been done in the rear? In some cases, if you do not torque the IRS subframe 4 bolts to spec it will squeak. I have seen this to be the case a few times.

Steeda Tech

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
No reported noise from Steeda customers of squeaking or on our development cars.
What else has been done in the rear? In some cases, if you do not torque the IRS subframe 4 bolts to spec it will squeak. I have seen this to be the case a few times.

Steeda Tech
Thanks... and wasn't meaning to sound like I was blaming the spacers directly, but I've had the rear dropped 4-5 times, and torque everything to spec every time, and this last time when I installed the spacers is when the squeaking started.

Other mods potentially affecting the rear include:
-Steeda Adjustable Pro-Action
-Steeda Billet Rear Shock Mounts
-BMR Lowering Springs
-BMR Billet Aluminum Vertical Links
-BMR Adjustable Rear Toe Links
-Ford Performance Knuckle To Toe Link Bearing
-BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars & End Links
-Steeda IRS Cradle Alignment Insert Kit (rears only)
-BMR IRS Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit
-BMR Jacking Rails

All of these were in before I dropped the rear one last time to put in new rear springs, and spacers. I guess I'll have to get under it and quadruple check how everything is seated, and double check torques.

Thanks.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks... and wasn't meaning to sound like I was blaming the spacers directly, but I've had the rear dropped 4-5 times, and torque everything to spec every time, and this last time when I installed the spacers is when the squeaking started.

Other mods potentially affecting the rear include:
-Steeda Adjustable Pro-Action
-Steeda Billet Rear Shock Mounts
-BMR Lowering Springs
-BMR Billet Aluminum Vertical Links
-BMR Adjustable Rear Toe Links
-Ford Performance Knuckle To Toe Link Bearing
-BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars & End Links
-Steeda IRS Cradle Alignment Insert Kit (rears only)
-BMR IRS Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit
-BMR Jacking Rails

All of these were in before I dropped the rear one last time to put in new rear springs, and spacers. I guess I'll have to get under it and quadruple check how everything is seated, and double check torques.

Thanks.
It's unlikely but possible that the spacers could cause a squeak between them and the spring. Try greasing them or get some really thin rubber in between.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
As others said, installing the spacers is basically the same job as installing the rear springs.

I had one 3/8" and that wasn't enough for my car so I actually had two of them welded together and installed. No squeaking with either setup though.

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just wanted to mention that the squeaking was coming from delrin vertical links, as I didn't want to leave the impression to other newbies that there's any noise issues with these spacers. I'm fairly mechanical, but had no experience with delrin bushings... Swapped them with OEM, and soon to be poly, and glad to have these spacers installed, as I just ordered new wheels and expect the slightly raked look to accentuate the wheels I chose.

Cheers.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've installed the spacers before. Just place them above the upper spring seat. It's not really any different than installing springs. A third hand helps, I suppose.

DeadSpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTT
Good to know it was the vertical links OP, thanks.

Will these hinder drag racing? I should be a mid 8 car this season. Do to what I think is a wheel offset issue, my outer sidewalk are rubbing the fender under hard squat. I just got my new et street r’s and don’t want to ruin these ones.

prototipo20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guillermo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
Hi, can anyone share a before and after picture of the result with this install? I've put progressive lowering springs but now car is sitting too low with the 18" wheels and tires...

Thanks!
Sponsored