Spherical Bearing Questions

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
What are the pro's and Cons of having Spherical Bearings in the Front Tension Control ARM and Rear Lower Control ARMs?

IE:

Front Tension control arm: Pro: Improved steering response
Cons:??? Would increased road feedback be a con?? Are their any handling cons?

Rear Lower Control ARM: PRO: Reduced deflection and better 60 ft times.
Cons:????? Would potential for over steer be a con? Harsher ride quality??? What are the cons?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
No personal experience with the front. My opinion is better steering and braking response with increased road noise(to what extent I don't know).

Rear(I've installed two sets on two different cars) noticeable reduction to wheel hop at the cost of very noticeable road noise increase.

I wouldn't install those on a daily driven street car but would definitely consider them for a car that sees more aggressive driving than not.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
No personal experience with the front. My opinion is better steering and braking response with increased road noise(to what extent I don't know).

Rear(I've installed two sets on two different cars) noticeable reduction to wheel hop at the cost of very noticeable road noise increase.

I wouldn't install those on a daily driven street car but would definitely consider them for a car that sees more aggressive driving than not.
Car only gets driven on weekends or when i specifically want to drive "sporty". My Raptor handles the wet, cold, incliment weather and day to day humdrum stuff.

Since I already have all the parts from the "ultimate" stop the hop wheel kit plus the Ford performance toe knuckle for the toe links I don't think i want the bearings to. I wanted this to be more for a handling car and I am concerned that the rear end is already going to be too twitchy with a tendency to make the car over steer so i am pretty sure i can hold off???

Now to the other question, are their any such cons for the front end using the bearings vs bushings for a handling focused car?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I wanted this to be more for a handling car and I am concerned that the rear end is already going to be too twitchy with a tendency to make the car over steer so i am pretty sure i can hold off?

Not sure where you got the idea that bearings have a negative handling characteristic? They don't affect over/understeer at all. Just noise as a concern.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Not sure where you got the idea that bearings have a negative handling characteristic? They don't affect over/understeer at all. Just noise as a concern.
AS for the front i have no idea. As for the rear i got those ideas from Steeda's website. :)

"Our Starter kit is a great price point and fit for those who are focused on turning above all. It helps to quell the wheel hop without putting too much control in the rear of the car (too much control can lead to a nervousness in the car under extreme braking). "

https://www.steeda.com/stop-the-hop-on-your-s550?ultimate_description

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-billet-aluminum-vertical-links-2015-all-555-4121.html

• Provides better handling characteristics (as opposed to the delrin)
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...yurethane-Bushings-2015-2019-All_p_13786.html

Our 'Stop the Hop' Ultimate Kit is for the drag racer, pure and simple.

https://www.steeda.com/stop-the-hop-on-your-s550?ultimate_description

Our spherical rear lower control arm will correct understeer under acceleration of your S550. You will notice increased chassis responsiveness upon installing our spherical bearings. If you drag race your GT, EcoBoost or V6 Mustang our rear lower control arm spherical bearings will play a huge role in eliminating deflection, ensuring your tires hook immediately upon acceleration
(My take on that one was it could cause OVER STEER in combination with beefier sway bars, stiffened springs and tied down IRS)

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-...spherical-bearing-2015-2016-all-555-4117.html

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Steeda's Stop the Hop kit will do nothing but improve rear end control and handling characteristics. You don't have anything to worry about regarding over/understeer or twitchyness.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
So no reason to downgrade the front tension control arms to the kit with bushings either then I assume (other than road noise and being $170 cheaper).

I found it interesting that they don't include the bearings in their "ultimate stop the hop kit" but sell it as an add on option for "drag racers" basically.

I have what is in the ultimate kit but i changed my vertical links to the softer poly bushings and the addition of the ford performance toe knuckle bearings.

Thanks for the help.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The labor to install the rear spherical bearings is nearly as much as a full suspension install. Both rear lower control arms need to be removed with the bushings pressed out before pressing in the bearings. The first set I installed nearly maxed out my 20-ton press.

For the front I wouldn't really bother installing bearings but if you don't have the performance package then perhaps just get complete front control arms with bearings to make swapping easier.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
The labor to install the rear spherical bearings is nearly as much as a full suspension install. Both rear lower control arms need to be removed with the bushings pressed out before pressing in the bearings. The first set I installed nearly maxed out my 20-ton press.

For the front I wouldn't really bother installing bearings but if you don't have the performance package then perhaps just get complete front control arms with bearings to make swapping easier.
Yes those are the two sets i am trying to decide between:

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...nsion-Links-w-Bushings-2015-2019_p_13985.html

vs

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...nsion-Links-w-Bearings-2015-2019_p_14093.html

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

I would tell you not to waste your money on either as you will probably be happy with just the Stop the Hop kit plus the other suspension upgrades, but if you had to pick just go with the cheaper ones. The difference between them wouldn't be as noticeable as compared to either of the Steeda parts and stock. Those Steeda parts are primarily roll center correction for lowered cars.

I didn't notice if you upgraded the dampers? Does the FP Street kit come with dampers?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
I would tell you not to waste your money on either as you will probably be happy with just the Stop the Hop kit plus the other suspension upgrades, but if you had to pick just go with the cheaper ones. The difference between them wouldn't be as noticeable as compared to either of the Steeda parts and stock. Those Steeda parts are primarily roll center correction for lowered cars.

I didn't notice if you upgraded the dampers? Does the FP Street kit come with dampers?
i am switching to the steeda adjustable dampeners and dual rate or ultralight linear Springs at the same time.

I decided to do the bumpsteer/roll center correction at the same time as the rest and these kits are set up for almost exactly what my drop is.

Although the tension arm also gives you an air wing that supposedly helps cool the brakes which I liked because I am not sure if/when I'll get around to adding ducts.

I know sometimes the slightly softer bushings are preferred even on a weekend car and that is what I was trying to sort out. Increased noise I don't mind as I'll never hear it over my exhaust probably. Noticeable vibration and road harshness (or making the steering/braking/cornering TOO "twitchy" might be going to far though if there is a happy medium available.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Go ahead and forget you ever read the word 'twitchy' as it doesn't apply to anything you are doing. The only thing that would make a car twitchy is an out of spec alignment(excessive toe out front and/or rear) or excessively stiff sway bars. Of course worn tires as well.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Go ahead and forget you ever read the word 'twitchy' as it doesn't apply to anything you are doing. The only thing that would make a car twitchy is an out of spec alignment(excessive toe out front and/or rear) or excessively stiff sway bars. Of course worn tires as well.
Copy that. I did actually have that concern with the hugely upgraded sway bars Steeda runs. I am guessing the fronts will be adjusted second from the softest and the rears will be at the softest settings when they set it up.

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
As a recommended initial "standard" setup we advise using the middle of the 3 holes on the rear and the second hole from the end of the bar on the front bar (4 holes). Then adjust to suit driving style, car setup and conditions!
Sponsored