Sponsored

SpeedDaddy Shorty Headers Install Question

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6
I see. In my state, far as I know, they don't do a physical check of the entire exhaust. They'll look at mufflers, noise compliance (for non-oem exhausts) and the over all physical condition of the car. They use the obdii port to check most things.
In CA they do visual inspection on all emission parts and they do o2 emission testing
Sponsored

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
Sorry about late response I still have not had the chance to figure out why I have a very small exhaust leak I might take them apart only the left side though. The exhaust note did change it has a deeper tone to it cleared up some of the rasp. As far as emissions go I don’t think it should be a problem unless they inspect and know what to look for.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry about late response I still have not had the chance to figure out why I have a very small exhaust leak I might take them apart only the left side though. The exhaust note did change it has a deeper tone to it cleared up some of the rasp. As far as emissions go I don’t think it should be a problem unless they inspect and know what to look for.
Actual link or just more sound than before? If more sound, it's because the headers are so thin compared to stock and you're hearing the exhaust pulses.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
Actual link or just more sound than before? If more sound, it's because the headers are so thin compared to stock and you're hearing the exhaust pulses.
I have link it sounds deeper I will also make a cold start video revs, n wot now that I have shortys installed.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That was a typo, meant actual leak or just more the sound of exhaust pulses? You had the same kinda result as me, bit deeper tone and little bit less rasp.

Sponsored

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
That was a typo, meant actual leak or just more the sound of exhaust pulses? You had the same kinda result as me, bit deeper tone and little bit less rasp.
It’s like a clicking sound on the drivers side. In the engine bay. I have not recorded the exhaust at wot I will be doing so. That way people can maybe compare to other exhausts I have a full corsa catback extreme. I’m also wanting to maybe put a custom h pipe towards the front right before the o2 sensors and see what kind of tone I will get from that but we shall see

BRR_416

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Looking to install a set of Speed Daddy shorty headers on my v6 soon. I know they come with a set of gaskets, but should I order a new set of OEM gaskets?

Also, I heard that the bolts were a bit weak that they come with. Should I get a different set of bolts to use during install?

Any additional tips, tricks to help with the installation? Thanks
The bolt threads for the headers are:
Header Engine Studs - m8x1.25
Collector Flange Stud - m10x1.5

Engine Stud Nut - 13mm deep socket
OEM Engine Stud - 5mm socket
Flange Stud Nut - 15mm deep socket

Gasket - Felpro MS97361

I was able to reuse all my engine studs even though 8 of the 12 pulled out during remove. You can use a 5mm ratchet, a 13mm box wrench, and lots of penetrating oil to remove the nuts from the studs. Go easy on the torque when reinstalling the studs. The block is aluminum and can strip out if you get carried away. Reference the the headers to make sure you put the studs in the correct holes. There are a lot of extra holes. I also used a tap on each of the nuts to clean up the threads before reinstalling them. I was unable to remove the flange studs from the OEM manifolds so I ended up making my own. The only major challenge I encountered was getting the passenger side CAT to line up with the collector studs. I had to leave the headers as loose as possible and start the flange nuts before seating the header against the engine block. After that it was just the usual issues that everyone describes about minimal clearance for tightening the nuts. Total time to complete the job was about 7 hours over two nights.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
You can reuse your OME gaskets if they don’t get messed up win you take them off I reuse mine

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The bolt threads for the headers are:
Header Engine Studs - m8x1.25
Collector Flange Stud - m10x1.5

Engine Stud Nut - 13mm deep socket
OEM Engine Stud - 5mm socket
Flange Stud Nut - 15mm deep socket

Gasket - Felpro MS97361

I was able to reuse all my engine studs even though 8 of the 12 pulled out during remove. You can use a 5mm ratchet, a 13mm box wrench, and lots of penetrating oil to remove the nuts from the studs. Go easy on the torque when reinstalling the studs. The block is aluminum and can strip out if you get carried away. Reference the the headers to make sure you put the studs in the correct holes. There are a lot of extra holes. I also used a tap on each of the nuts to clean up the threads before reinstalling them. I was unable to remove the flange studs from the OEM manifolds so I ended up making my own. The only major challenge I encountered was getting the passenger side CAT to line up with the collector studs. I had to leave the headers as loose as possible and start the flange nuts before seating the header against the engine block. After that it was just the usual issues that everyone describes about minimal clearance for tightening the nuts. Total time to complete the job was about 7 hours over two nights.
You don't need to remove the nuts from the exhaust studs if they come out in one piece. You can just reinstall them. Mine did that during shorty install, then a few did it during my long tube install - that was 20K miles ago with zero issues.

As for removing the oem exhaust flange / collector studs from the OEM exhaust manifolds, take two of the exhaust collector nuts. Thread one on the stud you want to remove backward (flange / flat side up) then thread the next nut on the correct way - so the flanges meet. You can also just use regular nuts of the same thread pitch.

Hold the top nut with a wrench and tighten the bottom nut to the top nut. Now just use a wrench on the bottom nut and loosen it. It will pull against the top nut and pull the stud from the manifold with destroying it.
Sponsored