cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to install a set of Speed Daddy shorty headers on my v6 soon. I know they come with a set of gaskets, but should I order a new set of OEM gaskets?

Also, I heard that the bolts were a bit weak that they come with. Should I get a different set of bolts to use during install?

Any additional tips, tricks to help with the installation? Thanks
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I would get new OEM gaskets, everyone says the ones they provide are bad (same with BBK and the other brands).

The bolts they provide are a little short imo, I'd get a different set for those too.

Didn't do the install of mine so no real tips, but was there while it happened which is why I know the bolts were just the perfect length to barely do the job, a little longer is perfect.

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I would get new OEM gaskets, everyone says the ones they provide are bad (same with BBK and the other brands).

The bolts they provide are a little short imo, I'd get a different set for those too.

Didn't do the install of mine so no real tips, but was there while it happened which is why I know the bolts were just the perfect length to barely do the job, a little longer is perfect.
Thanks for the heads up. Is this the correct item to purchase? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...340758,engine,cylinder+head+gasket+/+set,5412

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
BR3Z-9448-C is the part number I used, looks different than what you linked

Sponsored

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
BR3Z-9448-C is the part number I used, looks different than what you linked
Also, have you noticed temps in the engine bay being a lot higher with the shorties? I was tempted to do a diy cermaic coating on them but someone I talked to said it would be fine just to install them as is.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I never paid attention before unfortunately but based on talking to a buddy that also has a V6 and doesn't have shorties...our inlet air temps are basically the same (have gotten up to the 160s). Cylinder head temps get up to 207 that I've noticed.

edit » also keep in mind that I'm in South Florida.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
Hey there get a new set of own gaskets. And new bolts the ones they provide do not work. Also do ceramic coat them the temps will go up a bit. I installed mine with help from a friend and since I did not use new bolts I have an exhaust leak lol

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there get a new set of own gaskets. And new bolts the ones they provide do not work. Also do ceramic coat them the temps will go up a bit. I installed mine with help from a friend and since I did not use new bolts I have an exhaust leak lol
Sounds good.

Do you know, if I install these will I be able to pass an emissions test?

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
I can’t say about emissions test we don’t have them in Ohio .. but If you keep your cats on your car I think you will be ok

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Sounds good.

Depends on how strict the emissions laws are in your area. If all they do is a tailpipe reading you'll probably be ok, but if they include a visual inspection under the hood they might require an exemption # for the non-oem part before they will pass you.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
Sounds good.

As long as you keep your cats you should be fine but I’m in Texas and where I go they are lenient

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but how much louder is it with shorties inside the cabin?

Does anyone know a good alternative to the speeddaddy shorties? They are sold out. There are a bunch of shorties from other sellers and they all look the same from pictures.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone else seems to have a much louder exhaust with shorties, mine toned down a bit and cleaned up some of the rasp. Not noticeably louder in the cabin for me at all.

I wouldn't go much cheaper than the Speeddaddy ones, some people have been reporting bend issues (around the collector pipes by design I think, non-structural issues) on the SD ones already and then cracks on the cheaper ones.

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the link to where you purchased the new bolts? I think they are 10x1.25 bolts but I'm not entirely sure.
Sponsored