Spare Tire Tale

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
In Australia here I just bought the equivalent of the AA one in US. I paid $599 AUD which is just over $400 USD. Couldn't be happier and now I feel better about getting a flat!
Sponsored

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Rick,
I ran a check and there are not a lot of 175/60/19 5" rim tires around but Bridgestone does make a couple.
One all season was 7" wide so it just might fit flush. Given the 175/60 vs the skinny tire would rather have a full sized even with the cost especially if you have to travel far and keep up with traffic but I do understand the cost difference for some.
I look at it like a mod and a few hundred is not a big deal. If I do make the move to a Mustang and let me Porsche go that is only a cost of one dealer oil change.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
After a bit more research I feel the need to offer a warning about the 175/60r19 mentioned earlier. That small tire was designed and intended for a much lighter car, having a load rating of only 1100 lbs. So even though it is not limited on speed or distance like a space saver, it wouldn't take very much speed on even a slight turn to exceed that load rating on a Mustang.

By comparison, the Maxxis space saver has a load rating over 2300 lbs, so while it is for limited use, you're not going exceed it's load rating if you need to use it.

I ordered a spare tire kit for this exact reason. There's an alternative for non performance pack cars though that's a lot cheaper, which is the Explorer spare. I got the kit for $175 shipped.
Just an FYI, I've read a few posts on this forum where it's been claimed that the explorer steel 18" spare does not clear the front brakes on even a non-PP car. In my searches I actually haven't seen the explorer spare selling for noticably less than a Mustang spare, but if you do find one at a good price just be aware it may not fit on the front.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
After a bit more research I feel the need to offer a warning about the 175/60r19 mentioned earlier. That small tire was designed and intended for a much lighter car, having a load rating of only 1100 lbs. So even though it is not limited on speed or distance like a space saver, it wouldn't take very much speed on even a slight turn to exceed that load rating on a Mustang.

By comparison, the Maxxis space saver has a load rating over 2300 lbs, so while it is for limited use, you're not going exceed it's load rating if you need to use it.

Just an FYI, I've read a few posts on this forum where it's been claimed that the explorer steel 18" spare does not clear the front brakes on even a non-PP car. In my searches I actually haven't seen the explorer spare selling for noticably less than a Mustang spare, but if you do find one at a good price just be aware it may not fit on the front.
It doesn't without a small spacer. I already found that out, lol. Its a dead ass exact match diameter wise so its safe for the rear diff. I also got it really cheap so I can't complain too much.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
You might want to consider adding a lightweight floor jack as well. For under $125 it simplifies the process when compared to the OEM equipment. You can find aluminum floor jacks just under 30lbs. Got to keep the weight down.
Have you done this? Have you done anything special to mount it somewhere? I'm considering adding one to my trunk as well and would rather not have it rolling around the trunk and being a possible cannonball in the back of the trunk.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Scissor jack & cordless drill, are better idea for spare .

THC1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I've got AAA, but still bought the PP spare offered on this forum. When it's a non-repairable flat in the middle of nowhere I don't have an entire day to get hauled back and try to find a matching tire anywhere in the area from some Podunk tire store, AGAIN!
Where is the spare offered on this forum please?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma

THC1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1