Sound Tube Delete completed

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly is the purpose of this sound tube? And why is removing it something worthwhile doing?
The first question has been answered. To the second, it lowers cabin volume and removes a bit of resonance that can occur with louder than stock exhaust setups and the different sound content between the induction and exhaust (similar to, but not drone). When I got a resonator delete X pipe with stock mufflers, it had a peaky resonance during some acceleration and under load at lower rpm. Removing the sound tube took care of that.

Unexpected benefit: engine tip in response, like for rev matching, improved a noticeable degree.
Sponsored

OP
OP

S550JMH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Well yeah only half the sound tube was ugly and my cai didn’t have a place to use the sound tube. When you only have half a sound tube sticking out it does clean up the engine bay

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic Metal
The air raid kit came with everything needed to delete the whole thing. Just saying for those of you who are going to buy a CAI setup AND a sound tube delete kit...why not get it all on one for one price?

craigsix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
my third s550 gt so it was easier this last time. i get a grey plastic cap at the hardware store for about 70 cents! i got an air raid mit which deletes it at the intake tube.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've only seen one person mention it. Does removing the sound tube have an impact on how the car feels? Just from the external view alone, that looks like a decent sized hole to be pulling air away from the engine.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've only seen one person mention it. Does removing the sound tube have an impact on how the car feels? Just from the external view alone, that looks like a decent sized hole to be pulling air away from the engine.
I am not the only one I know who noticed improvement in throttle tip in response. Having a manual car that was worth it alone.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I am not the only one I know who noticed improvement in throttle tip in response. Having a manual car that was worth it alone.
Interesting. I'll have to plug it up and try it out.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I'll have to plug it up and try it out.
You can get some rubber chair leg caps from Home Depot that work great to seal up the intake port. 1" size.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You can get some rubber chair leg caps from Home Depot that work great to seal up the intake port. 1" size.
Yeah I was planning on just plugging it instead of removing it outright in case I wanted to go back. Thanks for the tip about the size! I was just going to eye ball it and throw on a hose clamp.

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
What did you use on your firewall to plug it?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I used the plug/cap (black plastic, not the billet piece) included in this on the firewall when I did my manifold install:
http://www.boombaracing.com/2015-mustang-gt-sound-tube-delete/

For the better part of 3 years I just had it like this:
php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F15%2F11%2F23%2Fb3c6b202a03ef77aba53c26c227650bf.jpg
Thanks. I remember seeing, but of course I cannot find it now, someone who bought a plug from the Ford parts dept and they posted the part number. I was gonna go grab that tomorrow. Worst case is I’ll go to AutoZone and get that plug that some of the others have used.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This
This one from Amazon works great.

Dorman 42098 Master Cylinder Gasket
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5E4O6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0n5pCbVBNDB6G

$7.28, free shipping/Prime, the price tends to bounce around, I paid $6.24 when I got mine a couple of years back.

FWIW, the Mishimoto intake tube doesn't have the sound tube hookup, so nothing to cap :)
This needs to be stickied. I bought a white conduit plug which fit perfectly, but I had to cover it in black duct tape to make it look OEM. I may take the white cap back to home depot and go with this because it looks OEM.

Thanks for posting the actual part number.
Sponsored