Son used Windex on my Car

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
So while I was at work my son decided to use Windex to clean my front bumper for me... He's 3 so obviously I wasn't mad at him, just an innocent mistake, but I know ammonia is really bad for paint and it sat on there for probably around 6 hours before I was able to clean it off. Do you guys think it's anything to worry about? It looked fine but I was wondering if it'll have a bad effect on the life of the paint in the future.
You let your toddler play with ammonia? :shock:

Actually, I did not think Windex had ammonia anymore. Mine does not say it on the label, but does say to keep away from children. They have a habit of firing trigger-controlled devices back at their face.
Sponsored

MadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang PP2 with Triple X-Pipe
I was wondering if it'll have a bad effect on the life of the paint in the future.
Your son didn't touch your paint. Instead, the Windex touched your clearcoat. In the future, you may wish to protect your clearcoat with Turtle Wax ICE Spray Wax or Beadmaker Paint Protectant.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
14770084.jpg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Posts in this thread are getting weirder and weirder. Paint etching from dish soap ?

I hate to think what rain does to it, it probably dissolves and just leaves the primer on.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Better than some friends of mine, when their daughter was 6, she offered to wash their Jeep. They let her do it unsupervised, apparently she thought steel wool (SOS/Brillo) was what you used to 'clean' cars. :shock:

Sponsored

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
Circa 1984, I let my 12 year old nephew help me prime my beater Vista Cruiser with rattle cans. When I looked away briefly, he started painting the "wood" trim. Kids. He's now an accomplished car guy. Guess the Vista Cruiser is where he got his start.

It later got an Earl Scheib Robin Egg Blue top coat. "$99.95. No ups, no extras." A little lighter shade than a bottle of Windex.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I use window cleaner as a bug remover all the time. No ill effects.

66GT350PS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2011 Shelby GT350, 1966 Shelby GT350
Ammonia added window cleaner will only affect window tint and waxes. Ammonia in higher concentration dissolves wax polishes, but it is extremely diluted in window cleaner. If you are concerned, get non-ammonia window cleaner. Window cleaner is about 97% water and some alcohol(for quick dry evaporation) added. Not sure, look up the MSDS or it (material safety data sheet) showing its contents.

Knowing your likes cleaning cars is a good thing. Let him wash the rims for now and save your back. Train him on the harder stuff as he ages and maybe he will eventually open a detailing service when he grows up and give you a family discount.
Sponsored