Some thoughts on different differentials

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Being inspired by this thread I decided to give somewhat detailed look to the differences in gear/speed/rpm performance for manual transmission Mach 1 versions. In particular: the "standard" US version, US version with Handling Pack (HP), and EU version, (it could be probably called non-US version, but I did not check all the specs for all EU/UK/AUS variants, so I will stick to EU specs. sheets), which does not have any options.
All of them use the same gearbox - Tremec TR-3160, but use different rear axle differentials and different tyres:
  • standard US version: Diff. ratio 3.73 (Torsen), (rear) tyres 275/40 R19, advertised max. speed 166 mph
  • US version with HP: Diff ratio 3.73 (Torsen), tyres 315/30 R19, advertised max. speed 168 mph
  • EU version: Diff ratio 3.55 (possibly LSD?), tyres 275/40 R19, advertised max speed 262 kph (~163 mph)
The standard US version rpm/speed graph:
Mach1_Torsen_373_Tyre_275_40_R19.png

The red line marks, well, the redline, while the shifts happen at 7300 rpm (it is just arbitrarily smaller than the redline, but you can easily get the readings for any rpm). The point worth to mention is that the Vmax5 corresponds to the advertised max. speed (166 mph). In other words, you can get to the max speed just by redlining the 5th gear.

The US with HP is a bit different (it uses the same diff. ratio, but different tyres):
Mach1_Torsen_373_Tyre_315_30_R19.png

The interesting point here is that because the HP rear tyres are smaller, by redlining the 5th gear, you can only get to 158 mph, but since the advertised max. speed is 168 mph, in order to get there, you either have to go past the redline (I am not sure if it is possible), or shift to the 6th gear for the additional 10 mph. This does not make much sense from the performance point perspective and I re-checked my logic, but this is what it is. If anyone can explain that I would appreciate it.

The EU (non-US?) version (using 3.55 diff. ratio):
Mach1_Diff_355_Tyre_275_40_R19_kmh.png

This looks more like an afterthought, or rather a coincidence of some independent design decisions. You reach the advertised max. speed in the 5th gear at ~7000 rpm. The "longer" diff. ratio and "longer" tyres (the same as in US standard version) give the scheme an overall "longer" behavior.

The last graph I just included for a comparison, it is basically the standard US version (but using km/h instead of mph for us who are challenged by Imperial system :)). It could also be read as what would be the car performance (in kph) if it was delivered in EU with 3.73 differential.
Mach1_Torsen_373_Tyre_275_40_R19_kmh.png

It would (as expected) just improve slightly the speed ramp up in each gear.

There is one another interesting observation drawn from these graphs. From the speed of 35 mph (US standard) or 60 kph (EU version) you can drive the car above 5000 rpm to maximize the power and also get no-lift-shift. What is interesting though is that according to the EU brochure the max. torque happens around 4900 rpm. So it looks like you can either choose max. torque or max. power, but never the both.
Sponsored

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
thanks, some very interesting graphs and comparisons. Would certainly go some way to explaining the lack of acceleration off the line/low speed

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The interesting point here is that because the HP rear tyres are smaller, by redlining the 5th gear, you can only get to 158 mph, but since the advertised max. speed is 168 mph, in order to get there, you either have to go past the redline (I am not sure if it is possible), or shift to the 6th gear for the additional 10 mph. This does not make much sense from the performance point perspective and I re-checked my logic, but this is what it is. If anyone can explain that I would appreciate it.
My Eu Spec 3.55 MT82 car can't reach is top speed in 5th as the 5th is up to 240 km/h I'm switching to 6th and car continue to accelerate up to 260 km/h where it's electronically limited. There are tuning shops in Germany that remove the limiter and get up to 300 km/h. So the 6th is not only overdrive but needed for reaching top speed.
Sponsored