Sponsored

Solo Performance GT exhaust systems review - updated with photos/videos

Which Solo Performance version do you have?

• Mach XV

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Mach Thunder

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • Street Race

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Axleback

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • other (with header, H-pipe, etc..)

Votes: 16 8.0%

• Total voters

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
catless headers tends to wake up the dead
I cannot relate to that. I live in over regulated California. I think driving without cats is a capitol offense here.

We can't even get a legal cold air intake for our latest Mustangs!

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
Installed the Mach Thunder today and first impression is that it is too loud for me. Was only able to take a short ride. Will give it another go tomorrow to see if I think that I will be keeping it or moving on to something else.

Sponsored

stingerbtry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GTP PP
Installed the Mach Thunder today and first impression is that it is too loud for me. Was only able to take a short ride. Will give it another go tomorrow to see if I think that I will be keeping it or moving on to something else.
Give it a few days/500+ miles for the carbon buildup to coat the insides. I spoke with Steve from Solo about this for another reason and have actually noticed the sound getting a bit quieter/different/better everyday. I have the Street Race and just ordered the Mach Thunder x-pipe today from him so that I can swap back and fourth. They are definitely a huge difference coming from stock but you get used to it and your driving habits will adjust as well. When they say volume on command, they mean it. Even with the race I can make it mild'ish when I want to or make it obnoxious and beasty when I want to. I absolutely love the sound! My last mustang was a catless 93 LX with long tubes and straight pipes and the street race with stock headers/cats is actually somehow louder :) I attribute this to the firing order and other changes to the engine and it actually almost has an exotic sound. A few of my coworkers that have heard it have said the same thing, including 2 other mustang owners.

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A PP TY
As I wrote earlier, the Thunder is playing in the same league as the Borla Attak, loud indeed, but still livable.

I suggest trying on the Mach XV muffler (you only need to swap the mid section - the muffler itself), that is more a touring/sport unit... I'd check with Solo if they would swap it for you, normally they are pretty good in taking that extra step to make their customers happy...

Last edited:

stingerbtry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GTP PP
normally they are pretty good in taking that extra step to make their customers happy...
100% agree! Give Steve@solo a call. We had a great conversation today and you can definitely tell that they care about their customers and their satisfaction with their products.

goingsolo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for your support and feedback. The Thunder is a more aggressive kit, but it does need to fully break in, as it will smooth out during the 500-1000 mile break-in period. I suggest letting it break in first, and if it is too loud after that, give us a call and we can talk about it:) Thanks so much!

Steve

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks for helping me with the order yesterday on the phone Steve. Can't wait to hear the Mach XV Cat Back paired with the catted longtubes!:headbang:

Bob

Sponsored

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
As I wrote earlier, the Thunder is playing in the same league as the Borla Attak, loud indeed, but still livable.

I suggest trying on the Mach XV muffler (you only need to swap the mid section - the muffler itself), that is more a touring/sport unit... I'd check with Solo if they would swap it for you, normally they are pretty good in taking that extra step to make their customers happy...
I will call Monday and see about getting the XV muffler. I drove it quite a while today and while at certain rpms and load conditions the sound quite pleasing, most of the tme it is just too much for me. It has to come off.

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Race Red
How much louder is the street race compared to Mach thunder? I bet a lot of people will switch to this from the ataks or xtremes if it's that good

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Installed my XV catback today. It sounds amazing. The pivoting built into the tips is genius.

The street race has NO muffler if i recall correctly....just an x pipe. I'd venture to say it has to be louder than ataks/extremes

Would also note that Solo was available today via phone to answer a couple questions I had during install.

Last edited:

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Race Red
Installed my XV catback today. It sounds amazing. The pivoting built into the tips is genius.

The street race has NO muffler if i recall correctly....just an x pipe. I'd venture to say it has to be louder than ataks/extremes
Ya I figured so. Just wondering if it's worth swapping my borla ataks for this setup or not

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A PP TY
Ya I figured so. Just wondering if it's worth swapping my borla ataks for this setup or not
The Street Race is essentially an end to end 3" open pipe whit the J-pipes , but the J-pipes are not affecting power or loudness, only cancel out drone frequencies.

It is as loud as it can get. The only way to make it even louder is removing the headers, cats...
Sponsored