Sponsored

Solo Performance GT exhaust systems review - updated with photos/videos

Which Solo Performance version do you have?

• Mach XV

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Mach Thunder

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • Street Race

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Axleback

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • other (with header, H-pipe, etc..)

Votes: 16 8.0%

• Total voters

mocella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT Premium
Just got my Mach Thunders installed this morning and it was definitely more sound than I was expecting when I fired it up the first time, but when it warned up and we went for a short drive, I was pretty happy with things. I'll have to put it through the paces a bit to see if I need to do any adjustments to deal with any drone, but so far it seems pretty good to go.

The install was pretty painless using some jack-stands in the garage, and the tip adjustment/alignment was stupid simple using the clever adjustment bolts that you set and tighten down once you have things lined up to your liking.

I can't wait to hear this system once it's broken in, but I definitely think I've found the right system for my ride.
Sponsored

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A PP TY
From their instructions which you likely did not get because they did your install and heck probably did not even have written up yet.

"...just undo the top band clamp of the J-Pipe ( at the end cap ) and move in or out ½”. Determining which direction gives the best results and then do
further adjustments in ¼” increments. Both J-pipes must be adjusted evenly."
I see, indeed I have never seen any instructions.... Thanks!

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah we know that already. Just wanted to get his experience in which way, how much, etc. Since I also have a convertible, I might as well benefit from his findings and get them set correctly the first time. Won't know if it's what I want until I get out on the freeway at a good cruising speed.

Experience always trumps printed instructions! :first:
I'd suggest not to adjust it before the break in period ends (first 500 miles). In my experience they were good as they set at Solo....

goingsolo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Coyote is correct…do not adjust the J pipes until after the break in period of 500-1000 miles. The tone will get smooth and full as it breaks in, so any adjustments before that can not give you an accurate depiction of how it should sound. The guys at our shop preset them for you. Thanks for all of the support and we are glad everyone is liking their kits.

Steve

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
I'd suggest not to adjust it before the break in period ends (first 500 miles). In my experience they were good as they set at Solo....
Coyote is correct…do not adjust the J pipes until after the break in period of 500-1000 miles. The tone will get smooth and full as it breaks in, so any adjustments before that can not give you an accurate depiction of how it should sound. The guys at our shop preset them for you. Thanks for all of the support and we are glad everyone is liking their kits.

Steve
Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

I am one step closer to beginning the install! Just got my quick jack put together and tested (w/o load). Had to quit as I was working in the dark in my detached carport.

A friend is coming by tomorrow to spot me while I try to lift without damaging me, the jack, or the car...or the solos, too. lol.

Hopefully I can match the rubber blocks to the lift points on the car. I bought the 5000XL, which is 5000 lb limit and eXtra Length. I think I am good to go, but I will find out tomorrow. :headbonk:

Sponsored

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

I am one step closer to beginning the install! Just got my quick jack put together and tested (w/o load). Had to quit as I was working in the dark in my detached carport.

A friend is coming by tomorrow to spot me while I try to lift without damaging me, the jack, or the car...or the solos, too. lol.

Hopefully I can match the rubber blocks to the lift points on the car. I bought the 5000XL, which is 5000 lb limit and eXtra Length. I think I am good to go, but I will find out tomorrow. :headbonk:
We are both having ours installed this week in time for our meet, at least as long as I get my 2nd box, and my suspension stuff from Steeda by thursday...

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
We are both having ours installed this week in time for our meet, at least as long as I get my 2nd box, and my suspension stuff from Steeda by thursday...
Well, that's my hope. It depends on how well tomorrow goes. This is a very busy week for me, and my window to get this done before the run is very small. But seeing how my qjack arrived much sooner than I expected, I have to try!

Good luck with your install. :ford:

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Well, that's my hope. It depends on how well tomorrow goes. This is a very busy week for me, and my window to get this done before the run is very small. But seeing how my qjack arrived much sooner than I expected, I have to try!

Good luck with your install. :ford:
LOL ya, I know what you mean, my suspension stuff is scheduled to be here by end of day Thursday, so I got your window :)

XKRJAG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT, 02 Tbird, 06 XKR
Mine had drone on first install, but after 200 miles its gone, so I do agree to give it some time before changing the J pipes.

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It takes a little time until everything settles, the exhaust become a little smutty inside, etc...

Sponsored

Jose1962

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2015
just installed mach xv very impressed with sound and tone nice deep v8 sound had a ford racing touring exhaust with mak cat deletes which was extremely loud and sloppy sound with lots of rasp.......xv with cat deletes now not as loud and no drone going let it break in then give another review very impressive exhaust solo

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your ears can adapt, it wasn't drone. Drone gives you headache (over longer period) ... Performance exhausts are louder than stock config, your ears will adapt to the new volume by time. Drone is a different beast.

XKRJAG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT, 02 Tbird, 06 XKR
Or did your ears change? lol:clap2:
Nope, it was a drone, as much of a vibration than a sound, now it doesn't have that, just sounds good. It wasn't bad to start (only at odd speeds you didn't operate normally and not loud like some of the cars I had back in the day with glass packs and dumps), but was present and now isn't.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
to cut or not to cut

OK, I am in the process of removal. After wrestling under the beast I finally was able to get the resonator loose from the cat assembly. As I have a convert I have to contend with the extra cross bracing. My muffler pipes thread over and around it. Also I have opposing hangers. So unless I want to remove a lot of the cross bracing (which I don't) I have to make a couple cuts. I am thinking just ahead of the mufflers where the pipes go inbound.

Any thoughts??? Looks like I will have to use my sawzall for the cuts. So is this a safe procedure working just below the gas tank and all?

I have the car up on my new quickjack lift and it seems pretty stable.
Sponsored