Sponsored

Solo Performance GT exhaust systems review - updated with photos/videos

Which Solo Performance version do you have?

• Mach XV

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Mach Thunder

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • Street Race

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Axleback

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • other (with header, H-pipe, etc..)

Votes: 16 8.0%

• Total voters

ob1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Orville
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
With my Kooks headers I had to cut the exhaust on the right side by a 1/4 inch to move it forward and now all is good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Anyone with a Solo exhaust having issues with the exhaust touching the Sway Bar? We had it up on a lift and tried adjusting it. It seemed to fix it temporarily, but now it seems to be touching again. It causes an annoying rattle sound at idle and at low speeds.

Here's a pic of the damage thus far. Click it for the full res version.
Interesting. No, mine has fit perfectly from day 1, hasn't touched a thing and I've had it on the car for around 3000 miles now.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I got my Mach XV installed last night. Of course it took longer than anticipated but I should have anticipated that ;-) (given I was alone and had car on ramps and jackstands).

- Very well made, very well packaged.
- License plate frame, t-shirt, key fob, sticker - nice touch
- The ball joint adjustment of the tips - awesomely engineered feature (I am an aerospace engineer)
- Mach XV is without doubt louder than stock exhaust with resonator delete / x-pipe. It has nice muscular tone, resembles Borla S-type (but last time I heard Borla was few months ago).
- Thunder would be likely too loud for my taste, can't imagine daily driving with race. Neighbors would file petition or sue me after day two of having it on.

Now the little problem I came across - after installing muffler and the right side pipe, I was not able to slide left one as far as the right one - muffler was not parallel to the ground and I think that right side was sitting little too high and therefore when I was trying to push it in, rear frame was in a way. I will try to loosen everything, back the right pipe out a little and try to make it even, but maybe somebody has any recommendations on what to do ?

Quick test drive at 11:15pm when I was done - sounds great, no drone. I want to keep driving and unfortunately I am leaving for a week long business trip tomorrow.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I got my Mach XV installed last night. Of course it took longer than anticipated but I should have anticipated that ;-) (given I was alone and had car on ramps and jackstands).

- Very well made, very well packaged.
- License plate frame, t-shirt, key fob, sticker - nice touch
- The ball joint adjustment of the tips - awesomely engineered feature (I am an aerospace engineer)
- Mach XV is without doubt louder than stock exhaust with resonator delete / x-pipe. It has nice muscular tone, resembles Borla S-type (but last time I heard Borla was few months ago).
- Thunder would be likely too loud for my taste, can't imagine daily driving with race. Neighbors would file petition or sue me after day two of having it on.

Now the little problem I came across - after installing muffler and the right side pipe, I was not able to slide left one as far as the right one - muffler was not parallel to the ground and I think that right side was sitting little too high and therefore when I was trying to push it in, rear frame was in a way. I will try to loosen everything, back the right pipe out a little and try to make it even, but maybe somebody has any recommendations on what to do ?

Quick test drive at 11:15pm when I was done - sounds great, no drone. I want to keep driving and unfortunately I am leaving for a week long business trip tomorrow.
When I was installing my roush axle back, the bend was not perfect on the factory piping. I coated the part where two pipes join with anti seize and it helped a lot to slide the pipe in all the way. Also maybe file down the inside pipe at the opening a bit rounded so the sharp edge is not catching on outer pipe.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Interesting. No, mine has fit perfectly from day 1, hasn't touched a thing and I've had it on the car for around 3000 miles now.
I have headers, which required a slight modification to the exhaust to make it a full 3" connection. I'm guessing that might have something to do with it.

Sponsored

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
I have headers, which required a slight modification to the exhaust to make it a full 3" connection. I'm guessing that might have something to do with it.
Do you have any videos up? In the spring I'll have a nearly identical setup (only exception being I have the Thunder instead of XV) so I'm trying to see what it would sound like. How is it as a daily?

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP
Anyone with a Solo exhaust having issues with the exhaust touching the Sway Bar? We had it up on a lift and tried adjusting it. It seemed to fix it temporarily, but now it seems to be touching again. It causes an annoying rattle sound at idle and at low speeds.

Here's a pic of the damage thus far. Click it for the full res version.
Mine's not rubbing but if you press on the joint it can jiggle enough to tap the sway bar.

Did I not install it correctly if the axle backs can rotate(twist) up and down a little bit at the joint to the center part?

Also I think the Mach Thunder is too much for me. It's also resonating a vibration into the cabin and something rattles in the driver rear area where the convertible arms retract into. It's quite annoying.

Last edited:

ob1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Orville
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
See my previous reply.:thumbsup:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Havent found a lot of videos of the mach xv catback or mach thunder catback with long tube headers under load, clips outside the car or drive bys. I suggested them to a buddy but cant find any good videos that arent of someone sitting still reving it. Anyone able to help or have videos? I'd be very grateful.

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Mine's not rubbing but if you press on the joint it can jiggle enough to tap the sway bar.

Did I not install it correctly if the axle backs can rotate(twist) up and down a little bit at the joint to the center part?

Also I think the Mach Thunder is too much for me. It's also resonating a vibration into the cabin and something rattles in the driver rear area where the convertible arms retract into. It's quite annoying.
Check the washers at the back hangers. I found that i threaded that tiny thing in crooked so it was not flush and the washer was rattling. Check any point that has a washer.

I installed the thunder on a buddies convert, doesn't have any rattles or unusual vibrations. Hope ya get sorted

Sponsored

DraXxus1549

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Anyone had any luck adjusting the j-pipes to eliminate drone?

I get some around 2k RPM, wasn't sure which way I should slide the pipes.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
That would make sense. The only "problem" mine has had is my muffler isn't mounted perfectly straight because what it slipped on me while getting it all adjusted and I didn't notice until after it was all torqued down. It's only down on one side about 1/4", so nbd, and it's hardly solo's fault.

Anyone had any luck adjusting the j-pipes to eliminate drone?

I get some around 2k RPM, wasn't sure which way I should slide the pipes.
I didn't go back and look, but you have had it on past the break-in period right? Mine droned a bit initially, but it eventually went away and doesn't drone at all now...3500 miles later. In fact, right around 1500 rpm under light load it goes completely silent.

DraXxus1549

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That would make sense. The only "problem" mine has had is my muffler isn't mounted perfectly straight because what it slipped on me while getting it all adjusted and I didn't notice until after it was all torqued down. It's only down on one side about 1/4", so nbd, and it's hardly solo's fault.

I didn't go back and look, but you have had it on past the break-in period right? Mine droned a bit initially, but it eventually went away and doesn't drone at all now...3500 miles later. In fact, right around 1500 rpm under light load it goes completely silent.
Yeah I've had it on for a few months now. I have the Mach XV.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Speaking of J pipe, has anyone tried adjusting them to different length to achieve difference resonance rpms?
Sponsored