So when will someone make a gear drive

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Do they use gear drive in Indy and F1 motors today?
Hello; I do not know about Indy cars but think F1 uses a pneumatic system to open valves. I cannot say if any crank shaft gears are still in use. Some sort of sensor on the crankshaft rotation to help the computer(s) control the pneumatic (air) actuators and ignition are likely to be in place.
Likely a gear drive of some sort to run an oil pump and maybe a water pump???

Likely some one else can give a better answer.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I do not know about Indy cars but think F1 uses a pneumatic system to open valves. I cannot say if any crank shaft gears are still in use. Some sort of sensor on the crankshaft rotation to help the computer(s) control the pneumatic (air) actuators and ignition are likely to be in place.
Likely a gear drive of some sort to run an oil pump and maybe a water pump???

Likely some one else can give a better answer.
That right. I forgot about the pneumatic valves.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Unless the technology has changed, I believe the pneumatic technology actually just uses air pressure as a means to close the valve instead of a spring. The air pressure can be raised or lowered as a function of rpm or engine load. It still uses a traditional lobe to open the valves. I’m a little surprised they aren’t using electromagnetic actuation, seeing where the state of the art is on gdi injection pumps and injectors, and individual cylinder knock detection.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I’m a little surprised they aren’t using electromagnetic actuation, seeing where the state of the art is on gdi injection pumps and injectors, and individual cylinder knock detection.
There is no point. They limited RPM and are actively going electric.
Sponsored