Sponsored

So, What's The Consensus On The 10 Speed

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
Shared my thoughts in a new channel video...
[ame]

Although, the cliff-notes version is that this new 6-speed manual is one of the best-feeling manuals ever and while the 10-speed is fast, it seems a bit twitchy for me. I tried it in a GT and an EcoBoost and experienced the "gear-hunting" in both, in around-the-town driving.
Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
If there was a V6 EB in the Mustang and it was a little bit faster than the 5.0...would people pick the EB?

Just wondering.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I'm always trying to get to 60 as quickly as possible - does that count? :D

*Before replying, please keep in mind that this is a joke post. :cheers:
No one gets any jokes here because we have a bunch of track day hero’s and people who live life a quarter mile at a time.:lol:

This forum is silly sometimes....you want a numbers car? Buy a Camaro and be done with it!

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Shared my thoughts in a new channel video ... this new 6-speed manual is one of the best-feeling manuals ever and while the 10-speed is fast, it seems a bit twitchy for me ...
When I raced new Fox bodies, I ignored every automatic on the dealer lot because they were 1/2 sec slower than the sticks.

Today, this is no longer the case. Just pick what you like.

... This forum is silly sometimes....you want a numbers car? Buy a Camaro and be done with it!
If by "numbers" you mean Camaro's historically low sales numbers ... then yeah. ;)

Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Love my 10 speed...of course I'm tainted. My daily driver is a 88LX 5.0 auto...try driving a Fox AOD!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
In order to get used to the paddles for autocrossing (1st - 3rd gears) I tried using the paddles in stop and go low speed surface street driving today. Due to the traffic throttle was very light even at several thousand rpm. The shifts were not quick or pleasant. Frankly it was as if the calibration engineers were shouting in my ears saying "you fool . . . paddles aren't intended for tendered footed driving conditions in traffic. That's what D, or S if you want to play boy racer, are for." :D

Therefore I will restrict my low gears paddle practice to more appropriate situations like pulling away from stops with some open road ahead since I already know how well it behaves then. :)

As I've said previously I really like how the trans behaves in D for normal driving.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

unload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
In order to get used to the paddles for autocrossing (1st - 3rd gears) I tried using the paddles in stop and go low speed surface street driving today. Due to the traffic throttle was very light even at several thousand rpm. The shifts were not quick or pleasant. Frankly it was as if the calibration engineers were shouting in my ears saying "you fool . . . paddles aren't intended for tendered footed driving conditions in traffic.
i was having the exact same experience today. It was interesting and I could also hear the engineers shouting.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
In order to get used to the paddles for autocrossing (1st - 3rd gears) I tried using the paddles in stop and go low speed surface street driving today. Due to the traffic throttle was very light even at several thousand rpm. The shifts were not quick or pleasant. Frankly it was as if the calibration engineers were shouting in my ears saying "you fool . . . paddles aren't intended for tendered footed driving conditions in traffic. That's what D, or S if you want to play boy racer, are for." :D
So it's basically quick to shift if it thinks it needs to be? Kinda like how the GM 8L90 is?

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
So it's basically quick to shift if it thinks it needs to be? Kinda like how the GM 8L90 is?
I don't have experience with the GM trans but the 10A paddle shifts very quickly when driving aggressively.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I manage to enjoy the benefits of the A10 both at the drag strip and every day driving. The A10 does not only shines during WOT driving but also part throttle. Plus, with the various driving modes available, most (not all) will find one that fits their desired driving experience.

This is coming from me who drove a 96 Cobra and then a 03 Mach 1 (manual) every day since 1999.

Jerome

Yeah, too bad the A10 doesn't have a pseudo e-shifter. Never understood why companies don't have an electronic rowboxes, instead of paddles. I've wanted something like that, since I used SMG in the M3.

I hate sequential, I like to skip gears...

I really wish they would offer something like that, as I would never go back to mechanical manual again.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... However, when i push the gas pedal while cruising, the car downshifts from 10 to 8 or 6 very quickly and accelerates with authority.

It is quick to respond to throttle input given I am driving in normal mode mostly. In Sport+ mode or when pulling the gear lever into S, the transmission becomes even more responsive and holds gear longer.
Thanks . . . I think. I'm trying to like this thing in the event the time comes in my lifetime where all of the other transmission/powertrain options may well hold far less appeal.

Anyway, you've just managed to identify the biggest the three things I'd have to somehow get past before there'd be any chance of my being sold on an A10. I just don't want my throttle control to have any influence over what the transmission does. Separate mechanical device, keep the control(s) separate, please.

(The other two are having to hold the brakes to stay stopped on level ground and having to ride the brakes in order to maintain very low speeds, this latter likely being trickier with high-mu track-capable brake pads.)

Norm

Deleted member 33561

You know if you put the lever in "Sport" mode it holds the gears until you hit the paddle shifter. Of course when slowing down it will be forced to drop the gears if you don't.

Deleted member 33561

Recent poll shows only 28% of Mustangs were manuals. I purchased the new Mustang because of the new features and the A10 was one of the most important new features to me. (Plus active exhaust, magneride, safe & smart package, performance package)
Sponsored