Sponsored

So, What's The Consensus On The 10 Speed

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
S mode holds rpm longer, makes the car louder and shift harder. i'm an adult and so is my wife and that's not always an enjoyable way to drive a car. just because a car has 460 hp doesn't mean it has to be obnoxious to drive around in when your not racing or driving in a performance oriented fashion.
Comparing your two posts it sounds like you want something between D and S shifter positions. D is "meh" and S goes too far. Maybe "D+" or "S-". ;)

Personally I've found that with smooth throttle control D in normal drive mode is great. Shifts happen when needed for whatever level of acceleration is wanted and the rest of the time the trans is barely noticeable. Nothing like "hunting".

You might try shifter in D and drive mode S+. I haven't tested this much but it may split the difference. My impression so far is that it behaves like S shifter position without the "hold a gear" paddle control but does the boy racer rev matching downshifts, etc. but MAYBE not as aggressively.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Comparing your two posts it sounds like you want something between D and S shifter positions. D is "meh" and S goes too far. Maybe "D+" or "S-". ;)

Personally I've found that with smooth throttle control D in normal drive mode is great. Shifts happen when needed for whatever level of acceleration is wanted and the rest of the time the trans is barely noticeable. Nothing like "hunting".

You might try shifter in D and drive mode S+. I haven't tested this much but it may split the difference. My impression so far is that it behaves like S shifter position without the "hold a gear" paddle control but does the boy racer rev matching downshifts, etc. but MAYBE not as aggressively.
I'm really hoping it settles in after a bit more adaptive learning.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I'm really hoping it settles in after a bit more adaptive learning.
How many miles on the car?

FYI the Ford info I've seen says that adaptive learning applies to shift firmness both as delivered and over the life of the transmission. In my case, with over 1100 miles of mixed driving much of the "adaptive learning" has been me learning the transmission, etc. . . . just like any other new to me car. Now I'm focusing on learning autocross relevant shifting with the 10A compared to decades of manuals. Given the nature of autocross compared to civilized street driving the last thing I want is for the trans to use my street driving as a basis for autocross driving.:D I'm really not worried since autocross will be manual shifting only.

I'm actually having more "trouble" getting used to the steering wheel buttons for the virtual gauges, etc. changing from the left in my 15 to the right in my 18. At least I didn't keep the 15 and have to adjust based on which car I'm driving. Of course our 97 GT 4 speed automatic and all the controls are totally different. Tough on an old guy.:doh:

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
How many miles on the car?

FYI the Ford info I've seen says that adaptive learning applies to shift firmness both as delivered and over the life of the transmission. In my case, with over 1100 miles of mixed driving much of the "adaptive learning" has been me learning the transmission, etc. . . . just like any other new to me car. Now I'm focusing on learning autocross relevant shifting with the 10A compared to decades of manuals. Given the nature of autocross compared to civilized street driving the last thing I want is for the trans to use my street driving as a basis for autocross driving.:D I'm really not worried since autocross will be manual shifting only.

I'm actually having more "trouble" getting used to the steering wheel buttons for the virtual gauges, etc. changing from the left in my 15 to the right in my 18. At least I didn't keep the 15 and have to adjust based on which car I'm driving. Of course our 97 GT 4 speed automatic and all the controls are totally different. Tough on an old guy.:doh:
what's irritating is i didn't experience any of this stuff with the Challenger 8 speed. it drove like a dream right from the beginning, i'm guessing the lack of low end torque makes the ford transmission shift back and forth more often.

the ONLY complaint i had with the 2011-2014 Mustang GT A6 was the delay in downshifting when you stepped on it while already moving. a good tune would have remedied that but i wasn't willing to give up my warranty for that

Sponsored

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
11 second 1/4 miles. enough said

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had chance to drive the 10 speed in the mustang, its terrible in all the f150s I've driven.
I had the 10 Speed in my 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost (57000km in one year) and it made that thing into a monster. My experience with the transmission in my truck is what led me to get it in the Mustang.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Quite an old school way of thinking, at least on the power loss part. The 10R80 has about a 9 - 10% driveline loss. The ZF8 is around 12%. I love my manuals but I don't deny that hard facts and data exists that disproves archaic mindsets. The GT350 TR3160 manual is about a 12 - 13% loss. The newest iterations of the TR6060 and 6070 are about a 13% loss. This is DATA. Not opinion.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I had the 10 Speed in my 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost (57000km in one year) and it made that thing into a monster. My experience with the transmission in my truck is what led me to get it in the Mustang.
If anything, the big 8 and 10 speeds make great sense in work horses.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
11 second 1/4 miles. enough said
Because you're always on the drag strip all day, every day, running 11 second passes, right?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
what's irritating is i didn't experience any of this stuff with the Challenger 8 speed. it drove like a dream right from the beginning, i'm guessing the lack of low end torque makes the ford transmission shift back and forth more often.
That's because the ZF8 is the gold standard of automatic transmissions right now. :cheers: Boy is it a sweetheart in the 392 cars. Just a joy...in an auto!

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Because you're always on the drag strip all day, every day, running 11 second passes, right?
I'm always trying to get to 60 as quickly as possible - does that count? :D

*Before replying, please keep in mind that this is a joke post. :cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Allll day eerrrry day...

JeromeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, Premium, Performance, Kona, A10
I manage to enjoy the benefits of the A10 both at the drag strip and every day driving. The A10 does not only shines during WOT driving but also part throttle. Plus, with the various driving modes available, most (not all) will find one that fits their desired driving experience.

This is coming from me who drove a 96 Cobra and then a 03 Mach 1 (manual) every day since 1999.

Jerome
Sponsored