Sponsored

So, What's The Consensus On The 10 Speed

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Thanks . . . I think. I'm trying to like this thing in the event the time comes in my lifetime where all of the other transmission/powertrain options may well hold far less appeal.

Anyway, you've just managed to identify the biggest the three things I'd have to somehow get past before there'd be any chance of my being sold on an A10. I just don't want my throttle control to have any influence over what the transmission does. Separate mechanical device, keep the control(s) separate, please.

(The other two are having to hold the brakes to stay stopped on level ground and having to ride the brakes in order to maintain very low speeds, this latter likely being trickier with high-mu track-capable brake pads.)

Norm
The only way I can think of to not have the transmission shift gear after hitting the throttle would be shifting the gear lever into "S" and using the paddles. The car will hold whatever gear you are in. It will still downshift when the speed drops enough though :/ As for holding the brakes at a stop, that could be introduced easily just like the brakes in manual transmissions to prevent roll back from a start. The third one I have no clue.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wife's A7 is very clunky and jerky driving at slow speeds. I have yet to experience anything like that with the A10.

My only other experience with Ford paddle shifters was on my wife's previous car, a 2013 Taurus SHO. It had paddle shifters, but they were for show only. That system sucked. Would not down shift when you wanted. It would up shift way too soon with out pulling on a paddle.

The paddle shifters on the Mustang are as close to using a stick that I have ever experienced. Night and day difference from the SHO.
I agree, the A10 is a really smooth unit compared to the DCT, especially for daily driving. I had a friend take a ride with me in the GT and he was really impressed with the shift speed of the A10. His experience comes from having driven Porsche, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. I have not owned any of these vehicles only test driven them so hearing the positive response from someone with experience with high end cars was nice.

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
When I had my A6 car the A10 wasn't that much better but now that I have an A10 car I can't believe anyone would drive an outdated A6 car

Oh and the 18 front was ugly but now that I own one the 18 front end is more aggressive

Am I doing the internet Right? : )

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
As for holding the brakes at a stop, that could be introduced easily just like the brakes in manual transmissions to prevent roll back from a start.
Not what I was getting at. On level ground I don't want to have to have the brakes applied either by me or by some computer if I'm not going to roll in either direction without them applied. Mostly personal preference.

Norm

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not what I was getting at. On level ground I don't want to have to have the brakes applied either by me or by some computer if I'm not going to roll in either direction without them applied. Mostly personal preference.

Norm
Got you.

Sponsored

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
I recently test drove a 18 with the Auto and the Black Out package. I thought the auto was outstanding, not once during the lengthy test drive did i think to myself that I was missing a 6 Speed. Im sure there are some situations where that might not be the case but for me as a daily driver I would do the Auto over the 6. But I wont race the car or anything like that.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Nah, I can drive autos when I'm old.
Unfortunately, even young adults sometimes require surgery. But I get what you're saying.

10 of the 13 Mustangs I've owned were manuals, but that was solely for performance reasons. In the 80's that meant you lost in 1/2 sec in acceleration with the auto, but that is no longer the case.

real men let the cars do the driving so they can XXXXXXbang ...
Real men can shift and modulate the clutch while pleasuring their girlfriend.
... I dated a girl who was impressed I could do that to her while driving manual ...
Great, just what we need. More Mustangs being turned into massage parlors while crashing on the road.

If I could have found one with the options I wanted (I did not want to order one) I would have bought it ...
I checked Ford.com, there are only 2 autos withing 100 miles of my location. One a loaded Premium, the other a base with no options.

It's amazing if you like being bored.
If manual transmissions are your ultimate thrill in life ...

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
When I had my A6 car the A10 wasn't that much better but now that I have an A10 car I can't believe anyone would drive an outdated A6 car ....
That's what has me intrigued.

The A6 sometimes can not find the right rpm range in performance driving (forget the slow reacting paddles), but the A10 seems to cure that issue quite effectively.

But Mustang prices have gone up across the board, and I'd have to sacrifice options and go from my 16 GT Premium auto to an 18 GT auto base.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's what has me intrigued.

The A6 sometimes can not find the right rpm range in performance driving (forget the slow reacting paddles), but the A10 seems to cure that issue quite effectively.
You can thank the much tighter gear spacing for that. Averaging 20% drops between the middle gears for the A10 vs nearly 40% in the A6 means it should be a lot harder to find yourself in a completely wrong gear or at completely wrong revs.

Illustration for comparison only. Red is the A10, black the A6. Axle ratios made slightly different so that none of the A10 gear traces fall on top of an A6 trace.

picture.jpg

Norm

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Norm - I'll try to address some of your questions/concerns which may not have been answered yet.

Assume S shifter and track drive mode since most of your questions seem to be track/performance driving oriented.

1) Once the trans is in manual/paddle mode via a paddle shift either up or down the only time it shifts automatically is downshift at VERY slow road speed to prevent stalling. Example slowing to a stop sign with the trans in a relatively high gear. It takes a complete stop to get to 1st, almost stopped gets 2nd, and so on. After the stop, or almost stop it is still in manual/paddle mode unless the driver puts it back in automatic.

2) Brake pressure to prevent rolling is "barely". It really doesn't want to "creep" much in either S or D or R in any drive mode.

3) Controlling speed with high friction brake pads at very low speed. In the very low gears I don't think the car will require much, if any, brake pressure. In manual mode the car drives like a manual trans in a very low gear . . . except you don't have to worry about the clutch.

4) I don't remember if you mentioned this but using brakes and gas to warm brake pads probably won't be worse than with other manual drive by wire cars but I haven't tested.

5) If/when you do some test drives be the transmission is reasonably warm. It takes a lot longer for the trans to get warm than for the engine. Per some recent testing it "appears" that manual shifting, especially in track driving mode, is a little slower than normal before the trans gets some heat and on a 40 degree day, even for a garaged car, that takes some temp. Note that slower than normal when cold/cool is still faster than any reasonable manual transmission up or down shift on the street.

EDIT

6) I don't recall the details of the torque converter lockup and unlock but it is clear that the design minimizes torque converter unlock time and maybe what gears it unlocks in.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Figured that I could chime in here.
I bought my 18 GT with the 10sp. I have always owned at least one manual since my first car 20 years ago. So I am still trying to get use to it, but overall its pretty good. There is a delay when in "D" as it down shifts a couple of times before settling into the right gear, reminds me of the turbo lag in a diesel truck. This goes away in "S" as it seems to hold gears better and will shift in the the right gear the first time.

only other problem I have had is twice now it shifted into neutral between 5-7mph while driving slow, thus allowing the rpms to build before it grabs a gear and jolts hard. It's almost like it gets stuck between 1st and 2nd.

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Its amazing how not too long ago (2014/15) the A6 came out and people though it was great. It can hold good horsepower stock, shifts great with tune, powerful, etc...

Now the A10 is out and its dated junk. I love how things get recycled so fast.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its amazing how not too long ago (2014/15) the A6 came out and people though it was great. It can hold good horsepower stock, shifts great with tune, powerful, etc...

By 2021 the A10 will be considered slow and junk :D

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L

6r80 A6 was first use in f150 and other Ford trucks/suvs in 2009
It's been in a Mustang since 2011.
It's still a great transmission after 9 years.
Sponsored