Sponsored

So... to buy an '18 Mustang?

Martel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Little background.

I bought a LX 5.0 in 1988. It became a really nice back half car with stretched wheel openings and huge slicks. It was done right, full Alston cage and chassis, glass hood and deck, lexan windows, etc... around 2400lbs.

Since it wasn't a daily driver anymore... I picked up an SVT Cobra in 93.

Then I went a couple decades raising kids and such things...

Back in the Ford camp, bought a used 2001 Focus for my daughter. It blew up at 90k miles because Ford produced an engine with a known flaw of dropping it's valve guides on top of a rapidly moving piston.

Helped a neighbor replace the intake manifold on his Crown Vic because Ford decided an all plastic intake manifold, coolant runners too... was a great idea.

On a business trip last week rented a new Focus 5 door. The drive is atrocious. The transmission is a dual clutch auto or something... but it feels like an 18 year old with his first stick shift.

But I'm leaning towards trying another Ford...

Has Ford got their "stuff" together?

The new platform the Camaro rides on is quite nice...
Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I had an '11 Mustang V6 for about three years, zero issues. Bought it with 60k miles, drove it about 25k miles. Just bought a 2016 GT with 10k miles, only thing I noticed is some dash creaking by the driver side, will try to locate the source and fix it myself.
I think the 15s had quality (control) issues here and there (panel gaps for example), there is also a vibrating driveshaft issue with the 15 and 16 I believe. Like always, you never know what you get, but the majority seems to be fine. Also, a Mustang is not a high priced car, so I don't expect Audi/BMW/Mercedes quality. I was going back and forth about the '18 for weeks but decided to skip the first year since there are quite a few changes that I don't want to be the guinea pig for. Maybe I'll pick up a '19 in a couple of years, if they decide to terminate the V8 with the 2021 model year.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I'm kind of in the same boat, looking for a fun car now that kids are almost all gone. It's been a few years. I can afford pretty much what I want, just not twice if you know what I mean. Viscerally I like the Mustang best, and long term repair costs are likely much less than premium brands, but short term QC issues seem more likely. Other options I've considered are BMW M240, which although great is almost antiseptic. I can't take the visibility in the Camaro. A used Cayman would be interesting, and I could pocket some money in case the IMS decides to blow up.

Overall, still leaning to the 18 (or 17 year end maybe) Mustang and resigning myself to getting some panel fit issues worked out and the occasional squeak and rattle. It just felt more...fun.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Nice first post! But anyway, just look at the size of this forum just for the s550 platform, i would say its a great car! And i hope your not a troll.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i wouldn't buy it. i would lease it, but lease rates on mustangs arent as good as chargers and challengers...

as a 2015 owner (my dealership's 1st s550 delivery), ive had a bad BCM (body control module, brake lights didnt work), and more recently, rust on the hood, which ford hasnt corrected since 2008ish.

also, apparently, someday the a/c evaporator will leak. its an expensive, labor intensive job if it happens outside of your warranty coverage.

now, with the 2018s, who knows what kind of new problems it will have. if i only leased.... my 3 years will be up soon and i'd be free to choose a new car. it would have probably been a charger or challenger since their lease rates are so good.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I wouldn't buy the first year of a new engine.

georgev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base Auto
Agreed, buy a 17 this coyote motor has been used since 2011. I know in 15 they upgrade the engine. But the design wasn't altered.

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I had to make the decision recently and ended up buying a 17 instead of waiting for an 18. I may have decided to wait if I could have seen an 18 in person. Based on all of the things I read here and all of the aftermarket support available now buying a 17 was the right choice for my wife and me.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Buying a 15-17 is sound advice. New engine, new auto, new problems. If i wasnt a modder id lease an 18 though.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Buy the 2018.
They finally worked out the kinks and bugs.:ford:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If you wait til 2021 they'll probably have the QC thing taken care of also.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
......Has Ford got their "stuff" together?

Of course not. Fords are cheap cars for the content you get, very cheap. And that means that money is saved elsewhere, it's just math. If you want the same content in a BMW M4, you'll spend twice as much.

If you buy a Ford, you have to go in with the proper expectations. My Mustang has 8400 miles on it, and the intake manifold just got replaced. It's frustrating, but not surprising at all.

A Chevrolet represents the same situation. You get a lot for your money, but it's built to a price, and quality suffers. Hell, BMWs and Mercedes have a lot of issues too, and with them you're paying a premium for the badge/name.

Really, unless we're talking Honda and Toyota, no car companies "have their stuff together", as far as reliability and durability.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Why? You have 5 years and 60,000 miles of warranty. If there's something wrong with your motor, it will be taken care of.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I pulled the trigger on a 2017 versus a 2018 in mid May. I had the same kind of first year concerns going with a new engine. Did not care for the "horsepower bump" which can be done via a tune\bolt-ons anyway. I'm more confident with the current Coyote and it's been proven to be strong over the years.

I got a pretty solidly built one it seems. No panel gaps, misalignments, or such. No rattles, no driveshaft vibration.

1300 miles in, still plenty to go. Do what you feel is best. You can get an incredible deal on 2017's right now even custom ordered. Mine was a custom order as well. You're in a spot where you can wait till winter to jump in a 2018 and see what you like or dislike about it. The downside is the 2017's will be limited on options at that point.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Little background.

I bought a LX 5.0 in 1988. It became a really nice back half car with stretched wheel openings and huge slicks. It was done right, full Alston cage and chassis, glass hood and deck, lexan windows, etc... around 2400lbs.

Since it wasn't a daily driver anymore... I picked up an SVT Cobra in 93.

Then I went a couple decades raising kids and such things...

Back in the Ford camp, bought a used 2001 Focus for my daughter. It blew up at 90k miles because Ford produced an engine with a known flaw of dropping it's valve guides on top of a rapidly moving piston.

Helped a neighbor replace the intake manifold on his Crown Vic because Ford decided an all plastic intake manifold, coolant runners too... was a great idea.

On a business trip last week rented a new Focus 5 door. The drive is atrocious. The transmission is a dual clutch auto or something... but it feels like an 18 year old with his first stick shift.

But I'm leaning towards trying another Ford...

Has Ford got their "stuff" together?

Every Focus I've driven has seemed to be a POS in my opinion. Oh - except the ST I drove - I liked that. I didn't buy because the price for the ST seemed high for the performance you get. In comparison the V6 Mustang was a much better deal. I've owned a few recent Mustangs and I think they are great. Of course there have been some issues here and there, but for me the issues seemed minor compared to the low cost and the fun driving.

What are you looking for? When I read your post I get the impression you are a straight line, big power guy. If I were you I'd look for a 2013/14 GT500. There are plenty out there to find.

Yes a 2018 would be ok as well, but my opinion is I don't think a lot of direct injected vehicles right now. I would tend to stay away from them. Camaro SS is also direct injected, though. So that doesn't differentiate them if the Camaro is another car you really like. I would definitely have to drive and hear a direct injected vehicle before deciding to buy. A lot of them sound like garbage at idle due to the high injection pressures.
Sponsored