Sponsored

So many hood strut choices, which one is the best?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I had my eye on a pair of Steeda hood struts, but now that I see so many options in this thread, I'm having second thoughts. Maybe there's something even better out there? You'd think a thread like this would clear things up, but quite the contrary, I'm now more confused than I was when I started reading it. :crackup:
What I like about Steeda's version is that its fixture seems to have quite a big surface, which should make it less likely to bend the hood. Causing stress and possibly flex in the hood at the attachment point would be my biggest concern. Is there any other set that has an even bigger surface than Steeda's?

Secondly, it seems that trunk lid struts can sometimes cause the trunk lid to sit a bit higher than before, at least on one side. Has anyone noticed the same phenomenon with the hood? Is the hood still flush with the body after the installation of the struts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I had my eye on a pair of Steeda hood struts, but now that I see so many options in this thread, I'm having second thoughts. Maybe there's something even better out there? You'd think a thread like this would clear things up, but quite the contrary, I'm now more confused than I was when I started reading it. :crackup:
What I like about Steeda's version is that its fixture seems to have quite a big surface, which should make it less likely to bend the hood. Causing stress and possibly flex in the hood at the attachment point would be my biggest concern. Is there any other set that has an even bigger surface than Steeda's?

Secondly, it seems that trunk lid struts can sometimes cause the trunk lid to sit a bit higher than before, at least on one side. Has anyone noticed the same phenomenon with the hood? Is the hood still flush with the body after the installation of the struts?
Vlad, you’re overthinking it. There are only three main players, Redline, Steeda and Roush. Based on what forum members have said Redline’s are the most popular and reasonably priced. Steeda’s cost more but many like their mounting system. The Roush’s are also expensive but are a little more involved to install.

Do not confuse the trunk pop up struts with the hood struts. They serve two different functions. The issue with the trunk struts just came up the other day. So far only two issues and the cause has yet to be determined. I’ve had mine for a while now, use them regularly and have no issues. I have never read an issue with the hood struts causing this issue.

Last edited:

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vlad, you’re overthinking it. There are only three main players, Redline, Steeda and Roush. Based on what forum members have said Redline’s are the most popular and reasonably priced. Steeda’s cost more but many like their mounting system. The Roush’s are also expensive but are a little more involved to install.

Do not confuse the trunk pop up struts with the hood struts. They serve two different functions. The issue with the trunk struts just came up the other day. So far only two issues and the cause has yet to be determined. I’ve had mine for a while now, use them regularly and have no issues. I have never read an issue with the hood struts causing this issue.
you hurt my ford performance strut's feelings. and mine! :crying:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My hood creaks horribly with the MRT hood struts, even though I installed a hard rubber at the very front of the hood bracket, where the strut is attached. Problem is that bracket is unsupported several inches between the hood bolt and where strut attaches, putting A LOT of strain on both the hood itself (very little support), and bolt. Without the rubber spacer, it's even worse, and the bracket bends and touches the hood (it made a mark before I put the rubber spacers). The bracket should be making contact with the hood for its entire length, not just where it bolts to the hood; super crappy design. Since I leave the hood open 95%+ of the car's life, I just removed that POS kit, and will list it for a song locally in offer-up. I had to grind the brackets extensively to avoid breaking the battery box... and that's with the hood bracket all crooked, clearing the sheetmetal by 1mm. Oh, and it doesn't open even close to stock (with the rod), so doubt I could even change the battery with it (which I need to do). It was a big mistake not buying one of the proven kits (Redline, Roush, Steeda), but learned my lesson the hard way, and threw $100 away. Oh well. At any rate, don't think struts are for me, even the better ones, since hood support is still questionable if you want to leave it open all the time, so will just live with the stock rod, which won't burn me anymore :). Hope nobody else is ripped off with this POS kit... but if someone else is, at least I warned you. Ha ha. Stay safe gang.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Logic dictates you need to close it yourself... and with MUCH greater force than before, since the struts are pneumatic, not electric. That's the part I wouldn't like, so will leave mine stock. Without a handle, an ever harder effort to close would be worse than just a little force to raise it now. Plus you can leave it closed but not locked if desired. That's why that option is a no-go for me. Besides, I hardly ever use the trunk, so lifting it means zero inconvenience when needed.
I agree 100% there is no need to wind up with a dent you didn't intend. I always apply pressure at a corner when closing no mark left behind.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Oh, and it doesn't open even close to stock (with the rod), so doubt I could even change the battery with it (which I need to do). It was a big mistake not buying one of the proven kits (Redline, Roush, Steeda), but learned my lesson the hard way, and threw $100 away.
Speaking of that, how to the better ones open? Do they open as wide as stock?

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I looked under the hood of my car for the first time since purchase which 3 months... I know it’s a shame and I removed the plastic from over the 5.0 logo.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Reading about some people having issues with how the bonnet either has a gap, or seems to bow on one side or another. This has left me not willing to try bonnet struts, just yet.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Reading about some people having issues with how the bonnet either has a gap, or seems to bow on one side or another. This has left me not willing to try bonnet struts, just yet.
You’re always going to have a few folks having issues with just about anything you can do to your car. Just buy a quality set and enjoy them. The odds of you having an issue in infinitesimal.

MAD MATT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible PP1
Vehicle Showcase
you hurt my ford performance strut's feelings. and mine! :crying:
The thing that first turned me off to the Ford Perf struts is the uncoated weld nut used with the lower mount (at least that is what is shown in the pics). The Redlines have a specially designed CNC aluminum part there.

Cobraunit

Mustang Fanatic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My hood creaks horribly with the MRT hood struts, even though I installed a hard rubber at the very front of the hood bracket, where the strut is attached. Problem is that bracket is unsupported several inches between the hood bolt and where strut attaches, putting A LOT of strain on both the hood itself (very little support), and bolt. Without the rubber spacer, it's even worse, and the bracket bends and touches the hood (it made a mark before I put the rubber spacers). The bracket should be making contact with the hood for its entire length, not just where it bolts to the hood; super crappy design. Since I leave the hood open 95%+ of the car's life, I just removed that POS kit, and will list it for a song locally in offer-up. I had to grind the brackets extensively to avoid breaking the battery box... and that's with the hood bracket all crooked, clearing the sheetmetal by 1mm. Oh, and it doesn't open even close to stock (with the rod), so doubt I could even change the battery with it (which I need to do). It was a big mistake not buying one of the proven kits (Redline, Roush, Steeda), but learned my lesson the hard way, and threw $100 away. Oh well. At any rate, don't think struts are for me, even the better ones, since hood support is still questionable if you want to leave it open all the time, so will just live with the stock rod, which won't burn me anymore :). Hope nobody else is ripped off with this POS kit... but if someone else is, at least I warned you. Ha ha. Stay safe gang.
I have never heard a single good thing about the MRT hood struts.

Cobraunit

Mustang Fanatic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT