Sponsored

So many hood strut choices, which one is the best?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Speaking of that, how to the better ones open? Do they open as wide as stock?
I asked that same question, which to me is a must-have 'feature' on any such kit. Only Redline owners answered, with a 'YES' :D. Not sure about the other 2 (Roush and Steeda), but I bet they probably do too. I wouldn't personally choose the Roush, over the hood alignment issues, but that's just me. I read this entire thread now, and if I was going to get another kit, it'd be the Redline :). But based on my observations of how my flimsy and heavy hood bent from being supported that far back, and the fact it'll stay open most of the car's life in my garage, I'm going to leave it alone. With the hose I was able to slip thru the bottom in one piece (looks OEM), at least the rod won't burn me anymore, which was my #1 reason to try the struts. If I only opened the hood occasionally, I'd get the Redline kit, as mentioned above.

I have never heard a single good thing about the MRT hood struts.
And you're not going to hear any from me either. Ha ha. Lesson learned. I'm back to my plebeian (insulated) rod, and happier with it than that POS kit :D. Need to touch-up all the paint details left behind by that damn kit; just got the Ford bottle, so will get to work shortly.
Bullitt hood rod.JPG
Sponsored

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I put Redline struts on my 2011 GT and my 2017 GT350. I am about to order a new set for my 2021 GT.
They are easy to install. I've never had any fitment or other issues. I particularly enjoy that they hold the hood higher than the prop rod, and that I never have to reach around them like when the prop hood holds the hood open.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just wondering, any particular reason for why your bringing up a dead year old thread? :giggle:

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Well, this thread came up when I did a search to find out what struts are popular now. So I suppose it might be relevant to anyone else doing a similar search.

Plus, I didn't notice it was a year old.

Why do you ask, Bikeman315?

Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Redline hands down the best there is. Been on my 16 my hood is up& down all the time never had a problem.

OGsmakDadE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber blue GT, 1999 Honda Prelude
My car came with the Ford performance hood struts installed by the previous owner. I’ve been happy with them thus far, but will be paying close attention to the hood flex you guys have been talking about…😩

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well, this thread came up when I did a search to find out what struts are popular now. So I suppose it might be relevant to anyone else doing a similar search.

Plus, I didn't notice it was a year old.

Why do you ask, Bikeman315?
Nothing really, I always find it interesting why folks bring back old threads. This topic does come back from time to time, so yes it is relevant. :like:

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I just got a new Mustang, not having had a car for over two years. That's why I did the hood strut search. I was delighted to see that Redline are still among the best.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Since I have an MP aluminum GT350 hood, I got the lower spring pressure struts for a GT350 from Redline. The GT350 the tech told me had 30% less pressure.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My car came with the Ford performance hood struts installed by the previous owner. I’ve been happy with them thus far, but will be paying close attention to the hood flex you guys have been talking about…😩
I got those as well.
The hood flex isn't as horrible as I remember some saying. I guess I can see it a tad when closing the hood, the corners want to go down first, but if you close it with both hands, it's just fine.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I got those as well.
The hood flex isn't as horrible as I remember some saying. I guess I can see it a tad when closing the hood, the corners want to go down first, but if you close it with both hands, it's just fine.
Me 3. Have had mine on for well over a year and they are holding up well.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
While I appreciate the tech support of the Ford team, the mounting system on one side is terrible.

I have heard the redline ones are far easier and less problematic.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
While I appreciate the tech support of the Ford team, the mounting system on one side is terrible.

I have heard the redline ones are far easier and less problematic.
The Redlines are clearly the better built and designed product with the added cost of course.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Been looking at Roush, Steeda, Redline, Ford Performance, etc etc... So far the Roush looks to be the better of the contenders (and most expensive). They are showing sold out at CJ Pony parts.

If it didn't come down to cost, which one do you guys like? Where would you buy them from?
I have had the redlines on three cars now. Never dissappointed
Sponsored