Sponsored

So many hood strut choices, which one is the best?

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Just wondering, any particular reason for why your bringing up a dead year old thread? :giggle:
Hey, I found it useful! Now I know to order the red line struts for my M1, which I'm sure is going to be built any day now. I mean I ordered it on 7/20, that means it will be ready in what, a month? Right? Guys?.........j/k
Sponsored

ShadowPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP2, 2003 SVT Cobra, 1940 Ford Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a year into my Redline's, no issues.

And I found many old threads to be very useful when I got my 2019 PP2, even revived a couple old ones myself when I picked up a 2003 Terminator recently. Always new people coming to these cars that can learn from our conversations.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Since I have an MP aluminum GT350 hood, I got the lower spring pressure struts for a GT350 from Redline. The GT350 the tech told me had 30% less pressure.

This is true, looking at a friend's 350. I noted he had, prop rod & struts.

Asking why, answered sometimes, windy days the hood will flutter with the struts holding things.

Someone mentioned above closing the hood with both hands.

I like the strutless hood drop close. Hood supported from the under side, no finger prints. Drops and locks positive every time .

No struts for my car

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350

Asking why, answered sometimes, windy days the hood will flutter with the struts holding things.

I like the strutless hood drop close. Hood supported from the under side, no finger prints. Drops and locks positive every time .

No struts for my car
You do make a good case.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
You do make a good case.
For me the deciding factors were, open area under hood without the hood prop bar, and it's just clean looking with the hood open. Closing the hood isn't an issue. I use micro fiber cloth. JMHO

Sponsored

ShadowPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

No struts for my car
I understand and not arguing with your reasoning but thats already factored into the design. Redline's have little to no pressure until around the halfway point. When opening they dont pressurize until halfway up and when lowering the pressure is released by the time its halfway down. I do the same hood drop close with fingers underneath and no prints every single time. Just sayin.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
For me the deciding factors were, open area under hood without the hood prop bar, and it's just clean looking with the hood open. Closing the hood isn't an issue. I use micro fiber cloth. JMHO

Ok show me clean.

IMG_0385.jpeg

Looks pretty clean with the hood prop, you removed the hood prop catches ?

IMG_0386.jpeg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I understand and not arguing with your reasoning but thats already factored into the design. Redline's have little to no pressure until around the halfway point. When opening they dont pressurize until halfway up and when lowering the pressure is released by the time its halfway down. I do the same hood drop close with fingers underneath and no prints every single time. Just sayin.
Same here with my Redline struts. They are progressive, nicely made.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
This is great info to read, I don’t remember seeing this stated anywhere I was looking- or at least not stated in this way.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I also enjoy not having to lift the hood myself--with one hand--while needing my other hand to put the prop rod into place.

Opening the hood is a one-hand operation that only needs me to get it started. Much easier! And my other hand remains free to carry or hold whatever part or tool has motivated me to open the hood.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You do make a good case.
This must be only on the 350 then? I got the Ford Performance struts, they're not as sturdy as the other brands apparently, but strong enough for me to unlatch, slightly lift and then the strut does the job rest of the way.

For closing it, I just need to make it past the initial spring point and then the hood falls back into place nicely.

The Redlines and others must have lot stronger spring-load then!

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
This must be only on the 350 then? I got the Ford Performance struts, they're not as sturdy as the other brands apparently, but strong enough for me to unlatch, slightly lift and then the strut does the job rest of the way.

For closing it, I just need to make it past the initial spring point and then the hood falls back into place nicely.

The Redlines and others must have lot stronger spring-load then!
I have a pair of Redline I bought last year only used about 4 months, I used with my stock GT hood I replaced with softer lower pressure Redline struts due to I have a lighter hood now. Good luck

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I bought a set of Red Line hood struts for my then new 2015 GT, they were transferred to my 2018, and now reside on my 2020 GT. They are still going strong. If you look closely you can see the bolt on the hold down bracket is slightly discolored from the elements.
STRUTS.JPG

ShadowPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a set of Red Line hood struts for my then new 2015 GT, they were transferred to my 2018, and now reside on my 2020 GT. They are still going strong. If you look closely you can see the bolt on the hold down bracket is slightly discolored from the elements.
STRUTS.JPG
Stainless or painted fasteners would have been a nice addition to the kit