Sponsored

So, I finally got to test drive the GT. It's out for me.(or maybe not?)

OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
Coming from a 335i with an aftermarket tune I can understand where Feeshta is coming from. Those cars are amazing and extremely fun to drive with the drama waiting to be unleashed. I had no problem outrunning last years 5.0 Mustangs (Stock Mustangs and my 335i with a $500 tune JB4 piggyback).However, todays BMW's are not like the E39 or the E46 BMW's as those were my previous 2 cars. on the 335i I had to take the car to the dealer for everything, which includes something as simple as a battery swap as it all needs to be coded into the ECU or the alternator will overcharge it. My Fuel Injectors went south on me at 80,000 miles, that was a $2400 job as you can't replace just one because there is a revised injector that needs to be installed and they too need to be coded into the ECU which means even if I did it myself, the car would need to be towed to the dealer to be coded. With that being said, the car is awesome until it needs maintenance. Did I mention the electric water pump was $1000 for parts only? Anyway, I went back to my original roots and bought an S550 for three reasons, It has a great sounding V8, parts are reasonable, and I can work on it. But I will not knock a BMW as I loved all 3 of mine, it's just the newer ones that finally broke me. Pun intended...
Just an FYI, there was a recall on those injectors and they should have been replaced free of charge. You might want to look into getting your money back if your still have the receipts. The new ones don't seem to have the same problem, fortunately. Been watching for a while now and not seeing similar issues on the N55 or N20 so far. It's still pretty close to a grand for 6 injectors though.

Oh, and I could do that fuel injector swap in about 2 hours in my driveway with nothing more than basic tools and a laptop with a USB adaptor. BMW is not allowed to hide behind proprietary software coding anymore, they have to release the source coding now and there is software available that can code your new injectors for you in a couple minutes. I could probably even do it with my iphone and the wifi dongle I use to check and reset codes. Modern cars are a little more tricky to work on, but the tools are becoming available.
Sponsored

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I think the BMW's and hairdressers meme is pretty funny, because it implies that hairdressers can afford BMWs, which is generally probably false.

I'm a hairdresser and I have numerous hairdresser friends driving BMW's, Jaguars, Mercedes, and Lexus. A lot of us make a lot more than you think. I'm also talking about hairdressers in upscale salons.

I don't drive a BMW and probably never will, I don't like the bare bones, box like interior. The repair bills are definitely insane and reliability is important to me and they blow in that department.

Plenty of hairdressers make enough to afford living in Beverly Hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StangBANG

Patience; long suffering.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
15 Magnetic GT. Performance Pack Premium Redline
Hair dressers kill it. My wife owns a salon. Good ones live like rock stars.

OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
I'm a hairdresser and I have numerous hairdresser friends driving BMW's, Jaguars, Mercedes, and Lexus. A lot of us make a lot more than you think. I'm also talking about hairdressers in upscale salons.

I don't drive a BMW and probably never will, I don't like the bare bones, box like interior. The repair bills are definitely insane and reliability is important to me and they blow in that department.

Plenty of hairdressers make enough to afford living in Beverly Hills.

I think the correct term is probably "stylist" when you get to that level, yes? Pretty sure they don't like to be called hair dressers, as that is considered low rent.

In any case, I really don't give a crap who else tends to drive the car. If I did, I would rule out virtually everything on the road. After all, I did see a dude in his late 40's wearing original Oakley Blades, sporting a hard core mullet and sleeveless Metallica T-shirt doing donuts in his Mustang in a parking lot a couple months ago. It's not like that is any more appealing to be associated with than hairdressers.

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
I think the correct term is probably "stylist" when you get to that level, yes? Pretty sure they don't like to be called hair dressers, as that is considered low rent.

In any case, I really don't give a crap who else tends to drive the car. If I did, I would rule out virtually everything on the road. After all, I did see a dude in his late 40's wearing original Oakley Blades, sporting a hard core mullet and sleeveless Metallica T-shirt doing donuts in his Mustang in a parking lot a couple months ago. It's not like that is any more appealing to be associated with than hairdressers.
"Whatever's Comfortable." (copyright Southern Comfort)

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I honestly can't explain it. I know it's not as fast, but the seat of the pants impression is another animal entirely and the Mustang simply didn't feel fast. It should probably be noted that my 540i does have a complete coilover system and most of the rubber bushings have been replaced at this point with performance oriented parts, so it probably feels a bit different than most.
Which skews the comparison more than just a little . . . Too bad you couldn't have test driven a different 540i on the same day, with only OE replacement parts, for a better-balanced comparison. In the end, you probably made the best decision for you even though there's some mud in the comparison for the rest of us.

Incidentally, the "hanging throttle" that you noted is indeed an emissions control technique. It's intended to reduce or eliminate the brief emissions spikes that occur on suddenly closing the throttle. Car mfrs have been doing this for quite a few years (can't remember which of our cars first had this, but it was at least as far back as 2001)

Norm

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe

Thanks for educating me on what we prefer to be called, ;) but hairdresser is what I am, beautician is actually the term we find offensive. Stylist is too general and vague, someone who dresses someone head to toe and creates a look is actually called a stylist. I've been in the company of many celebrity hairdressers and we all call ourselves hairdressers or hairstylists. It's a multi billion dollar industry full of very talented artists. Unless you're in a very rural area where the market is more of a wash and set basement type salon you won't make much. I'm fortunate to have worked in NYC on Madison Avenue and 5th Ave and we don't appreciate the stereotype.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
How come all the BMW threads always end up this way?

Talking about what you call a person who cuts hair? :)

It is all about the tangents, man. The tangents.

OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
Which skews the comparison more than just a little . . . Too bad you couldn't have test driven a different 540i on the same day, with only OE replacement parts, for a better-balanced comparison. In the end, you probably made the best decision for you even though there's some mud in the comparison for the rest of us.

Incidentally, the "hanging throttle" that you noted is indeed an emissions control technique. It's intended to reduce or eliminate the brief emissions spikes that occur on suddenly closing the throttle. Car mfrs have been doing this for quite a few years (can't remember which of our cars first had this, but it was at least as far back as 2001)

Norm
Well, the real comparison that needs to be made is Mustang vs M235i, as the 540i is on the way out the door either way due to rust. After driving the other car, I would say that the Mustang probably has a slight edge in power and brakes, but the M235i has an edge in handling, feel, and fun factor on a back road due to it's suspension, visibility out of the car, and smaller size. It also gets significantly better fuel mileage(32 hwy vs 25), is a lot more practical due to the much larger back seat and easier to use trunk, and costs a bit less to insure. So now I need to decide whether the sound and fury of the V8 is enough to justify using it as a starting point and working on the suspension. It's never going to be as easy to use as the M235i, or as practical, but could I make it more fun?

The hanging throttle thing was only present in two of the cars I drove, the Subaru WRX and the Mustang, so it must not be completely necessary for a car to pass emissions. The others did not display this tendency. I think you could correct it with a chip tune, as I know this was one of the main things owners complained about with the WRX and it has been tuned out with performance chips. WRXs also have a weird torque "flat spot" around 4K RPM that is apparently due to emissions efforts and can be removed with a tune.

Anyone know if this issue has been present on previous Coyote engined cars and whether it can be easily remedied?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
Thanks for educating me on what we prefer to be called, ;) but hairdresser is what I am, beautician is actually the term we find offensive. Stylist is too general and vague, someone who dresses someone head to toe and creates a look is actually called a stylist. I've been in the company of many celebrity hairdressers and we all call ourselves hairdressers or hairstylists. It's a multi billion dollar industry full of very talented artists. Unless you're in a very rural area where the market is more of a wash and set basement type salon you won't make much. I'm fortunate to have worked in NYC on Madison Avenue and 5th Ave and we don't appreciate the stereotype.

There was a reason for the question mark at the end of the statement. I've been scolded for calling someone a hair dresser before, as they preferred the term stylist. I guess everyone has their preferences.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Talking about what you call a person who cuts hair? :)

It is all about the tangents, man. The tangents.

Not the tangents man, it was the comments about a hairdresser not being able to afford to own a Bimmer that started it. I'm a hairdresser and make a very nice living and found the stereotype insulting. Sorry I hijacked the thread.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
There was a reason for the question mark at the end of the statement. I've been scolded for calling someone a hair dresser before, as they preferred the term stylist. I guess everyone has their preferences.

I understand and don't care if it's hairdresser or hairstylist but the term beautician is the one that gets me. Again, my apologies for going of topic.

Fomoco15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT Vert
Happy for you . I think for a person that twists hair for a living fits in a bmw better . Congrats!

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Happy for you . I think for a person that twists hair for a living fits in a bmw better . Congrats!

I fit better in a Mustang though;)

Sponsored