Sponsored

So, I finally got to test drive the GT. It's out for me.(or maybe not?)

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
I find it amusing when someone gets bent out of shape because something was posted on a public forum that they don't think is relevant.
Yea, but going to a fan club and starting a thread about why they are fans of the wrong thing is maybe a wee bit of a stretch?

I dunno.

After thinking things through, I no longer have any second thoughts about the decision to get a Mustang and I suspect that the OP will no longer have any lingering doubt about doing the opposite, so it is a bit of a useful exchange.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
You can now look forward to the carefree life of Fix Or Replace Daily, Found On the Road Dead, and the occasional redneck joke :).

There is no refuge except maybe if you drive a pickup. Everybody could use a good pickup truck.
Sooooooooooooooooo true! :lol:

So much for your transformation Oppo :). You're still f#cked:ford:

OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
I hear that... We actually have a diesel festival that comes here once a year in the summer. The entire town is filled with black smoke and obnoxiously loud trucks for a week. Needless to say, I avoid it like the plague.
That basically sounds like hell on earth to me. Gets me mad just thinking about it. Where is this? Just want to know so I can avoid it. :lol:

I just find it funny that his main complaint is that its not losing control and throwing him around....if you want that there are plenty of 2014s left if that's the "thing that's missing"

Idk I can't take someone serious who doesn't like a car due to refinement...hell maybe its a driver mod...

Like I said due to his responses he wasn't serious about a Mustang in the first place...Helen Keller could see that. [emoji44]
Actually it's lack of refinement in handling that is my main complaint about the car in comparison to the BMW. The lack of perceived power is also a problem because I expected more, but I certainly don't want a car that loses control easily or frequently.

I was absolutely serious about the Mustang until I got to see it in person the first time. Then reality intruded on my hopes for it, mostly due to the trunk issue and the inefficient packaging of the car as whole.

His driving style certainly sounds like it would specifically cater to the F22's qualities. So whether he thinks it's a superior car is up to him and doesn't affect any of our opinions. I don't agree with everything he says, but I can see where he's coming from. A test drive in a 228i/235i will show you that there's a formidable package hiding inside.

Dimensions aside, which is where I'm seeing the majority of his complaints coming from, I think his opinions are on the extreme end of the spectrum. Having driven both of these cars myself, the M235i is hardly a canyon leap in driving dynamics. It's simply a different car; much shorter wheel base, narrower, smaller overhangs, lighter weight, etc. Does that make it the better driver overall? No, but it might suit OP's driving style or the settings where he will be driving.

The S550 is near-perfect for me right now. And it sounds like it is for everyone else on this forum too. Nothing's going to put a damper on that. :)

He's been an active member for the past five months, so I don't see what the problem is with him voicing an opinion that goes against the grain. I find these kinds of things more interesting than the usual glowing hyperbole. As much as I like to see a bunch of like-minded people throwing praise over a car, it's refreshing to see a different side of things (even if you or I don't wholly agree with it).
The size is probably the root of most of my complaints with the car, or more accurately the combination of large size with poor practicality. If it sat 4 comfortably and had a better trunk I would be a lot more inclined to forgive it's dynamic limitations, but it doesn't. The environment I drive in has a lot to do with my preferences in cars as well. The driver's position within the car is also quite a bit different than cars I have owned, and I didn't like it at all.

The fact that I have been an active member here, and not on the 2 series board, does say something about my intentions going into the buying experience. I wanted this to be the one, and thought it was basically right up to the moment I saw the car in the flesh the first time. Then doubts started creeping in, and driving it was a major let down from my expectations after driving the 2 series. Handling basically met expectations, as I didn't expect it to be quite as good as the smaller and lighter BMW, but the size, feel, and power fell well below what I expected.

I waited so long to drive it because I wanted to drive an ecoboost first, but the dealer simply wasn't getting one so I went ahead with the GT test drive finally.

You can now look forward to the carefree life of Fix Or Replace Daily, Found On the Road Dead, and the occasional redneck joke :).

There is no refuge except maybe if you drive a pickup. Everybody could use a good pickup truck.
Just don't get a diesel pickup and put smoke stacks on it. :)

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Yea, but going to a fan club and starting a thread about why they are fans of the wrong thing is maybe a wee bit of a stretch?

I dunno.

After thinking things through, I no longer have any second thoughts about the decision to get a Mustang and I suspect that the OP will no longer have any lingering doubt about doing the opposite, so it is a bit of a useful exchange.
If he had joined yesterday and that is actually what he was saying, I'd maybe agree. As that is not the case (by far), I am inclined to disagree.

I don't recall him ever saying anyone who is a fan of the mustang is wrong. Just him explaining why he liked the bmw better.

I've found it insightful as to why OP decided against the mustang.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I can relate to your experience during the test drive.

I have 1100 miles on my GT w/PP and it definitely drives better than the first day driving it off the dealership lot. A few things I've learned since driving my Mustang home...

1) I thought the dealership was nice to add a full tank of gas. They put in the cheap gas. Ran the cheap gas out and pumped 93 in and the car instantly performed better.

2) The engine was much tighter at 50 miles vice now at 1100.

3) Driving modes make a difference in throttle response.

4) Warm up the car if in cold climates. Engine doesn't respond well feels almost clunky until warmed up and the rear diff takes even longer.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

you might be surprised.

I know when I was a regular at 1addicts and e90post, when someone thought they were being smart/witty by pulling out the ol' found on road dead, there were many members who pointed out the e92/82s were far more likely to leave you stranded (literally stranded) than any semi modern ford.

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
If he had joined yesterday and that is actually what he was saying, I'd maybe agree. As that is not the case (by far), I am inclined to disagree.

I don't recall him ever saying anyone who is a fan of the mustang is wrong. Just him explaining why he liked the bmw better.

I've found it insightful as to why OP decided against the mustang.

No worries!

We need people to pass anyway :).

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
No worries!

We need people to pass anyway :).
Ha. Be careful though if you stay stock.

$1500 worth of bolt ons and my 135i was putting 406/460 to the ground. 3300 pound car. The 235i will see similar gains, though it is heavier.

OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
I can relate to your experience during the test drive.

I have 1100 miles on my GT w/PP and it definitely drives better than the first day driving it off the dealership lot. A few things I've learned since driving my Mustang home...

1) I thought the dealership was nice to add a full tank of gas. They put in the cheap gas. Ran the cheap gas out and pumped 93 in and the car instantly performed better.

2) The engine was much tighter at 50 miles vice now at 1100.

3) Driving modes make a difference in throttle response.

4) Warm up the car if in cold climates. Engine doesn't respond well feels almost clunky until warmed up and the rear diff takes even longer.
This creates a problem for someone trying to test drive a vehicle, given that the odds are it will not be loosened up when they drive it. Personally I'm starting to wonder if maybe the dealership is doing something wrong. I've got time, as I didn't plan to buy until after winter anyway, so maybe I will look into driving another one when dealerships down here finally get them in stock. None of the 3 nearby dealerships has had a car yet, although last I checked was 2 weeks ago now that I think about it.

If someone actually has a car in my area that's broken in and wants to show me the error of my ways, I'd be all for it, but that seems unlikely.

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Ha. Be careful though if you stay stock.

$1500 worth of bolt ons and my 135i was putting 406/460 to the ground. 3300 pound car. The 235i will see similar gains, though it is heavier.
Worst case, hang back for a few miles until you see him throw a code & go into limp mode :).

Kidding.

When I left the BMW forums there was a pretty heated debate going on about whether the 135 was more fun than the 235. I never got to drive a 135, they were described as a bit more anxious/mechanical feeling with better steering, if that is accurate then a tweaked 135 would have had to be a blast.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Worst case, hang back for a few miles until you see him throw a code & go into limp mode :).

Kidding.

When I left the BMW forums there was a pretty heated debate going on about whether the 135 was more fun than the 235. I never got to drive a 135, they were described as a bit more anxious/mechanical feeling with better steering, if that is accurate then a tweaked 135 would have had to be a blast.
The car was a hoot.

Don't kid - I did go into limp mode once right when I was about to have a go with a camaro. :( bloody vanos soleniods.

At least limp mode doesn't leave you stranded and usually goes away with a stop/start....

OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score

Kidding.

In my experience the 135i was a bit understeer happy, and the factory tires sucked donkey-schlong. It was fun, but handling balance is better in the M235i. Steering is a bit numb on both to be honest, but I like the M235i's quicker rack.

The car was a hoot.

Don't kid - I did go into limp mode once right when I was about to have a go with a camaro. :( bloody vanos soleniods.

At least limp mode doesn't leave you stranded and usually goes away with a stop/start....
Never had any problems with my 135i in the 15 months or so I owned it, but then I didn't have any mods on mine either.

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Interesting. I'm coming from one of the most svelte BMW's out there, and much more so than your 540... a 2004 330i ZHP.

I have been grinning from ear to ear since I picked up my base GT PP with Recaro's. Would NOT change my decision. To me it feels similar to an M4 in the driving dynamics and acceleration.

To each his own.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Never had any problems with my 135i in the 15 months or so I owned it, but then I didn't have any mods on mine either.
Mine was actually quite good as well for the 2.5ish years I had it.

The tune will expose wear items (that will still become a an issue if you stay stock) sooner than stock - that is what happened with the vanos solenoids. $300 in parts and an easy diy, so no biggie.

Other than that I had no real problems - other than an AC leak that required a recharge every spring or ~$2000 to fix.

It was getting to the point where I was worried water pump would suddenly go (as they have a tendency to do on that platform) and the battery was getting old (though still working fine) and this and that.

Just figured it was time to get out.

Lagometer

Noob Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Prem PP w/50 AP.
You drive a BMW and now you want another BMW. You graciously test drove a Mustang and a few others to prove they are not BMWs. You have completed your internal checklist, so go buy your BMW. OOooooKaaaaay.
Sponsored