Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT in Grabber Lime Green
Hey guys,

I hate to write on this topic and maybe it’s been covered or maybe it hasn’t but I recently bought a 2015 eco-boost with a few mods about 3 months ago. Yesterday on my way home from work the check engine light went on. With only 29k miles and the ford warranty being up in June I decided to have a nearby Ford dealership check it out.

I drop it off this morning and everything is fine, they take the car in and even give me a rental free of charge because they will keep the car all day. 3 hours later and I just got a call saying that because the car is modded my warranty is voided and they can not touch it. I know that certain things will void the warranty but they are blaming the UPR oil catch can, levels intercooler and the JLT CAI.

Will these mods automatically void the warranty? They tell me that the check engine light has to do with oil pressure so they say it is the mods but I have a feeling they will say that whether it is or not.

Does anyone in south Florida have any recommendations on where to take the car to get this checked out? Or have any tips on what to look for to chec it out myself. Thanks
Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Hey guys,

I hate to write on this topic and maybe it’s been covered or maybe it hasn’t but I recently bought a 2015 eco-boost with a few mods about 3 months ago. Yesterday on my way home from work the check engine light went on. With only 29k miles and the ford warranty being up in June I decided to have a nearby Ford dealership check it out.

I drop it off this morning and everything is fine, they take the car in and even give me a rental free of charge because they will keep the car all day. 3 hours later and I just got a call saying that because the car is modded my warranty is voided and they can not touch it. I know that certain things will void the warranty but they are blaming the UPR oil catch can, levels intercooler and the JLT CAI.

Will these mods automatically void the warranty? They tell me that the check engine light has to do with oil pressure so they say it is the mods but I have a feeling they will say that whether it is or not.

Does anyone in south Florida have any recommendations on where to take the car to get this checked out? Or have any tips on what to look for to chec it out myself. Thanks
I would suggest you remove the catch can and try taking it to a different dealer.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Hey guys,

None of that should be the cause, unless the catch can is installed incorrectly. Best bet, just remove it and take it to another dealer. They techincally have to prove the mod caused the failure but its not worth fighting a dealer. Just bring it somewhere else.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
They techincally have to prove the mod caused the failure but its not worth fighting a dealer. Just bring it somewhere else.
What he said.

Dealers with little or no experience with performance cars will deny work on something like this like a fat person will deny they will get diabetes

Sponsored

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
Thank you guys, I will try removing the catch can and take it to another dealer.

The service advisor told me that once they saw the CAI and the intercooler that they already wanted to stop working on the car. If I take it to any other dealer do you think that will be the case?

I actually work close to Steeda Autosports and I know they are great at mustangs but I'd rather not pay if I can get this fixed under warranty. I also don't know how expensive they are.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Thank you guys, I will try removing the catch can and take it to another dealer.

The service advisor told me that once they saw the CAI and the intercooler that they already wanted to stop working on the car. If I take it to any other dealer do you think that will be the case?

I actually work close to Steeda Autosports and I know they are great at mustangs but I'd rather not pay if I can get this fixed under warranty. I also don't know how expensive they are.

Those mods are cooling/reliability mods. If installed correctly (which its very hard to mess that up, they are both basic bolt ons), then they should provide no down sides. I have both those mods and my dealer doesnt even mention them. And ive had warranty work done (leaky hose). It depends on the dealer. As long as ur not heavily modified and ur car looks mostly stock, the dealer should at least work with you. Now if u have cobb stickers all over, aggressive tune, wastegate, BOV, catch can, big turbo, meth, e30, basically anything that makes it seem you are more than just basic bolt ons, then you might have a harder time finding a dealer to work with you.

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
Thank you everyone so much for your help on this!

I will ask some fellow local mustang owners what dealer they go to and try to find one that is "bolt on mod" friendly.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you bought it from a Ford dealer, or chain that may includes Ford dealers, I would go there since any bad word of mouth, etc. over a denial, would hurt them.

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
I actually bought it at a Chevy dealer. I went in for service on my Camaro and left with a Mustang :headbang: :thumbsup: :ford:

The service advisor at the ford dealer told me to take it back to them if they did not disclose the info of all the mods on the paperwork. I just think that will be a headache that I might want to avoid and kinda sneaky as I actually knew everything that was modded whether they disclosed it or not.

If you bought it from a Ford dealer, or chain that may includes Ford dealers, I would go there since any bad word of mouth, etc. over a denial, would hurt them.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
The reason that many like me who needs my car as a DD will not do any mods until 5/60 is toast.

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
The reason that many like me who needs my car as a DD will not do any mods until 5/60 is toast.
Yes you are right

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Thank you everyone so much for your help on this!

I will ask some fellow local mustang owners what dealer they go to and try to find one that is "bolt on mod" friendly.
That is your best plan... I had a dealer refuse to work on my car because of simple mods.

Took to another dealer and they worked on the car no issues...

I understand the dealer's point of view though... I get it.

I still laugh when I see threads like this and how many times people on here have roasted me for stating dealers will not work on cars that are lightly modified. It happens... silly, I agree, but it happens.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted. Getting all issues fixed under warranty is your best option. You might want to check for a tune on the car, if you can. See if it was tuned previously or has a tune. I'm betting you have a tune or at least was tuned in the past.
Sponsored