Similar sounding exhaust system

T Amplitude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Was just wondering if anyone knew of a cat-back or axle-back exhaust system that sounds as close as possible to the stock exhaust note. I really love the way the car sounds, I just want it to be a little louder. I’ve seen people doing resonator deletes as instead, but I’m not sure I want to cut my exhaust. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Was just wondering if anyone knew of a cat-back or axle-back exhaust system that sounds as close as possible to the stock exhaust note. I really love the way the car sounds, I just want it to be a little louder. I’ve seen people doing resonator deletes as instead, but I’m not sure I want to cut my exhaust. Thanks in advance.
Not sure I have the active exhaust and I cut the resonator and put an H pipe. Lost the stock note but still sounds good. Unfortunately the active exhaust doesn’t have much of a volume difference in the modes now.

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I wasn't sure I wanted to cut it either. Later I got very sure. Seems to me you're near the end and much closer to deciding to cut than you think :)

What you want is the LTH pipe, and the cutting and installing is an extremely easy process.

https://www.steeda.com/lth-fdrd00002t-s550-resonator-delete

Sounds like an R. So, just a bit louder, and removes the resonator's smoothing out of the tone and crackles.

Last edited:

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I wasn't sure I wanted to cut it either. Later I got very sure. Seems to me you're near the end and much closer to deciding to cut than you think :)

What you want is the LTH pipe, and the cutting and installing is an extremely easy process.

Sounds like an R. So, just a bit louder, and removes the resonator's smoothing out of the tone and crackles.
I can 2nd the LTH. Got it and it's the best exhaust modification ever. Extremely cheap too.

Its pretty really hard to find an axel back or catback exhaust that sounds like stock. I specifically wanted to retain the stock sound and it was either the LTH resonator or the Lethal Performance one. LTH is more "stock" sounding because it has a 2.75" diameter vs the 3" from Lethal Performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T Amplitude

T Amplitude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350

Maybe I’ll have to look into resonator deletes more. Do you mean that the LTH crackles or gets rid of it?

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I had the ATAK on my GT and loved it but I don’t know how I’d like it on the Shelby
I have it on my GT350 now and it sounds pretty good to me. Very similar in sound to stock; just slightly deeper and louder. Definitely keeps the FPC sound. It does3hurt that the sysyem is 13 pounds lighter than stock as well which sealed the deal for me.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

"X"pipe enhances the sound. Want more add Roush axle backs even better.

Every comment say "H"pipe deep tone," not what you say you want.

To my ear, the "H" pipe sounds muddy. Not as crisp as stock.

Slipping in the "X" pipe, with stock mufflers = louder stock

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Maybe I’ll have to look into resonator deletes more. Do you mean that the LTH crackles or gets rid of it?
The LTH pipe I think is the best (only) option for replicating the R exhaust - the X isn't the same shape, but the diameter of the pipe (2.75") is identical to the GT350 / GT350R exhaust, and the other pipes are 2.5" or 3.0" which introduce other things to think about such as overall sound change, drone at certain RPM, power/torque differences (maybe)... up to you on what you want to do but you'd probably want to stay away from the 2.5" at least.

As far as the crackles go, the LTH pipe will give you a little additional character there and all around, it just pretty much performs the same as the R exhaust. The factory resonators on the GT350 non R smooth out some of these crackles and such and make the sound a little more tame than the R exhaust.

If you don't want to change the sound of the car but want a little more volume and a little more character without going overboard, just getting rid of the resonators by putting in that LTH pipe is exactly what you're after. I don't think anyone with the LTH pipe is going to say they wish they went with another option. From there, if you want even louder yet, the options are removing cats, changing mufflers, but obviously those will much more dramatically change the way the car sounds.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have resonator delete and gained a few db's.

Side note: this car sounds MUCH better on gas than it does with ethanol.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
From my experience, I wasted a lot of time (Polishing) and money on this Magna Flow cat back system. Made the Shelby sound like a Subaru WRX/STI, so I removed it.

0BBE081B-796A-46F3-A6D7-75A64ECFF71D.jpeg

Last edited: